Sports: "Just a Business"

JD074

Master
This is one of the more pernicious myths that definitely needs debunking. You know, the one where people say, "Sports is a business. If they don't get the best athletes, they'll lose. It's a free market. Meritocracy. Blah blah blah."

Obviously the problem with this is that if nobody wants the white athletes, how can it be a disadvantage for any particular team? This is particularly true for running back and cornerback in football. Nobody wants them, so it's not a disadvantage for anybody. Hypothetically, if one team decided to round up all the best white RB's, CB's, and WR's, then we'd have something. But the vast majority of these players are marginalized and the negative effects of not treating them fairly are not readily apparent (except to us.)

And funny how sports is a "meritocracy" but nothing else is. This must be because minorities are successful. And when minorities are not successful in a certain endeavor, then suddenly it's not a meritocracy. Education isn't a meritocracy because blacks and Hispanics ain't doing too well. So universities' admissions policies that favor certain groups are okay. Most other businesses, besides sports, apparently aren't meritocratic either, so affirmative action is necessary there, as well. Somehow, whenever whites succeed, it's unfair, but when non-whites succeed, it's totally based on merit. Interesting.

Americans have done a great job with creating an illusion that sports is a totally level playing field, with no discrimination- oh wait, except when blacks don't do well, like college football head coaching and baseball. And then, all of a sudden, the sports establishment is not meritocratic. Edited by: JD074

White_Savage

Mentor
JDO74:
How many of these people are who say sport is "just a business" would be willing to do away with laws against racial discrimination in hiring and serving in every other business? Surely they realize the free market would penalize IRRATIONAL discrimination well enough. Hypocrites all of them.

(Of course, the IRRATIONAL part is what gets them. They're terribly afraid such dangerous concept as actual control of your own business would prove some forms of discrimination entirely too rational.)

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sports becoming big business is what has ruined it, except for the NHL I guess? In this day, big business goes hand in hand with politically correct thinking, which usually means anti-white. I wish things were like they used to be in sports, when everything wasn't homogenized.

It's not "just a business"....it's an extremely efficient means by
which about $1 billion can be funnelled into the black community, by
paying the most ignorant and violent negroes $15 million a year to
bounce a ball. And it has the powerful psychological advantage of
having Whites pay top-dollar to cheer on those supreme black
demi-gods. The NFL has been designed to be a black league (just
like the NBA) because football is the most popular American sport.

Speaking of Big Business, it is hard to believe that some SEC schools
integrated their sports teams about 35 years ago. They have gone
from proudly White to disgustingly black in three decades, and the
alumni (many of whom never had to sit in a classroom with a black)
donate millions of $$$ to "keep up the plantation."
Disgusting.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Yeah, Southern Knight, it is something to see the changes in the South just since I can remember. The 80's is when it really started changing. The football integration of the 70's became predomination by blacks on most SEC teams. Only a couple were mostly white into the 90's, and now its almost by sheer accident that 2 teams are half white this year.

Bronk

Mentor
I have washed my hands of all professional sports.

As a kid growing up in the Houston area I followed all the pro teams, listened to radio broadcasts, watched them on TV and when I could go to a game, wow, what a treat. But by the mid-1980s, the Oilers had priced me out of being able to go to games, then came the baseball strike and I never really was a big fan of basketball anyway, so that fell away quickly.

I don't buy tickets, gear or watch the games on TV. My brother offered me a free ticket to an NFL game last week which included an opportunity to sit in one of those lavish luxury boxes, I passed.