Spoiled and Pampered: Tejada

Realgeorge

Mentor
The Orioles NWO owner is protecting his crybaby spoiled brat from Dominica. It's Tejada, who has Begun the Behaviors: Surly, whiny, slothful, withdrawn: Exactly the pouting that many unwite baseballers display when they are on downside of careers or caught with hand in cookie jar. The guy is a glory hound and has been a major contibutor to the neurotic clubhouse of the ever-losing Orioles franchise.

He's indirectly accused of playing the steroid game. The sulking indicates complicity, and yet another divisive imported ballplayer that ruins a good franchise. But Angelos loves him -- as usual, the wierdo mega-billionaire owner who plays in Lucifer cults, spreads his disease to the team he owns

And Perlozzo! What a prune! The guy gives the insipid Press Conference every day, "Well, we're just going to have to improve ... wah wah wah" Reminds me of perennial loser coash Norv Turner, who had endless excuses of why his team stank, except referring to his own obvious incompetence. Sam P is the perfect yes-man to Peter Angelos. Limp as a wet fish, he inspires NOTHING from the team. I feel bad for the several excellent white ballplayers who have to work for Angelos's homeboy yesman.

O's: Tejada staying
By Jeff Zrebiec Sun Reporter June 28, 2006

Other teams pursue slumping shortstop, but Angelos says no

Amid reports that Miguel Tejada could be headed out of town, the man who signed the shortstop to a $72 million deal before the 2004 season said the All-Star is not going anywhere.

"The Orioles have no interest in trading Miguel Tejada ," said Orioles principal owner Peter Angelos. "He is an exciting and exceptional athlete and a great baseball player."

Orioles front office personnel also affirmed their position before last night's game at Camden Yards against the Philadelphia Phillies was rained out, acknowledging that they have received inquiries from clubs interested in Tejada, but they are not shopping the player, who has been criticized for not running out ground balls and scrutinized for a more subdued demeanor.

Tejada leads the Orioles with a .312 batting average, 16 home runs and 54 RBIs and is most likely headed to his fourth All-Star Game in five seasons.

The Orioles' position all along is that no player on the roster is untouchable, and that they would listen to offers about Tejada, but would have to be overwhelmed to trade him.

"We have not made one phone call about him," said Orioles executive vice president Mike Flanagan. "Have other teams asked about him? Yes. But we are not actively shopping him. This process goes on on a daily basis about every team's best player."

Tejada arrived at Camden Yards and through an Orioles spokesman declined to speak to the media, referring all questions to his agent, Diego Benz, who did not return a phone call last night.

The 30-year-old has been slumping at the plate, going 6-for-40 (.150) with three RBIs in his past 10 games, and without a home run since June 13. His mood has also appeared to suffer both in the clubhouse and on the field, prompting concern that his dismay last December with the direction of the team may have carried over to this season.

After a trying 2005 season where both his numbers and his team faded down the stretch and his name became intertwined in the Rafael Palmeiro steroid controversy, Tejada asked for a trade, but then rescinded the request a month later. Orioles vice president Jim Duquette spoke to Tejada on Sunday and said that the player was adamant that he is happy in Baltimore.

"I don't want to talk about the specifics, but the crux of our conversation is that he's happy here," Duquette said. "He said that he didn't want to go anywhere."

Several newspapers have reported in recent days that clubs have called about Tejada, who was sensitive to the reports, and questioned Duquette about them.

"At first, he misunderstood [the reports]," Flanagan said. "Jim told him that there are clubs that have called but we are not shopping him. He understood that."

Several players said yesterday that the controversy surrounding Tejada has grown tiresome and they still consider the Dominican Republic native the team leader and a good teammate.

"All of this stuff is driving me crazy," said Melvin Mora , one of Tejada's closest friends on the team. "Believe me, I am frustrated about this. Let it go. Leave the man alone. He's a good guy."

"I don't know why people go after him," said Brian Roberts , another of Tejada's close friends. "Obviously, the star always takes the fall. It's unfortunate. ... For the most part, he's the same guy I've known. I think everybody gets frustrated at times. It is part of the process, when you are part of a team that is not playing as well as you like. It's hard to be happy go-lucky all the time."

Orioles manager Sam Perlozzo acknowledged that he has noticed that Tejada hasn't been his normal animated self, but he did not think it was cause for concern. In his first season and a half with the Orioles, Tejada's bilingual chatter filled the clubhouse and the dugout. Teammates have said privately that Tejada is far more subdued now.

"When your team is not winning and you feel that you are not doing enough to change the outcome on the field, everybody gets down," Jeff Conine said.

In his pre-game talk to reporters, Perlozzo defended the shortstop on several issues, including his range in the field, which has been criticized by scouts. Tejada has also taken heat from fans for not running out ground balls. Perlozzo acknowledged that sore knees may play a part in the shortstop being less mobile than in past seasons.
Edited by: Realgeorge

whiteCB

Master
Why is Brian Roberts coming to the defense of this clown. Tejada gets paid 10+ Million a year to play a child's game. So get over it Miguel "the cry baby".

Solomon Kane

Mentor
I agree with the posters above,and I have to vent "I can't stand Angelos."!!! I left the Baltimore-DC Area about9 years ago, and have followed the teamfrom adistance (lesspainful). The O's then had Davy Johnson as manager and a good team that had gone to the playoffs two years in a row. Then angelos "fired" Johnson, which caused an implosion for the whole team. Thenhe lost Moose (who wanted to stay). This guy is always following his witless intuitions just to show what an "independent" thinker he is. Whenever fans, sportswriters, etc. point out to him the obvious moves to make, he will do the exact opposite. And the second-rate managers he has hired!

In one of its few good articles, Sports Illustrated, circa 2000,called him a "bird brain" and listed all of the stupid moves made and the needlesscontroversies he has generated.

One of my friends, an erstwhile die-hard O's fan, will not root for them anymore because he doesn't want to see Angelos vindicated if they win! No need to worry--nothing Angelos does ever works!

All O's fans can hope for is a well-placed heart attack!

Re: Tejada, let's not forget. It wasTejada who personallyguaranteed SammySosa to the O's last year. And what happened? Frightened off of Steroids, Sammy showed hisnatural talent level--with a truly miserable season.

GWTJ

Mentor
Tejada's consecutive games streak ended tonight at 1,152 games. I couldn't be happier.
smiley16.gif