Speak the ’N’ word and die!

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Longtime Oklahoma Baseball Coach Resigns

NORMAN, Okla. - Longtime Oklahoma baseball coach Larry Cochell resigned Sunday, five days after using a racial slur during off-camera interviews with ESPN.

Cochell submitted a letter of resignation to school president David Boren, who had met hours earlier with athletic director Joe Castiglione and members of the university's black community.

"A good and caring man has made a terrible mistake for which he must assume responsibility," Boren said in a statement.

ESPN said Friday that Cochell, who is white, used a slur after praising a freshman outfielder, who is black, during two pre-broadcast interviews Tuesday.

Assistant coach Sunny Golloway was named interim coach.

Cochell, who had been head coach since 1991 and led the Sooners to the CollegeWorld Series title in 1994, apologized Friday and in his resignation letter.

"As I have said in a public statement, I deeply regret that I carelessly used language that is clearly contrary to the basic values of our university," Cochell said in the letter released by the school. "Those words also created an impression contrary to my own personal values and my respect for all people. ... I do not want to be the cause of any person having a mistaken impression about our university."

ESPN reported Friday that before a Tuesday telecast of the Oklahoma-Wichita State game, Cochell, in describing a freshman outfielder, said "There's no n----- in him." It also reported that he said in a separate interview, "There are honkies and white people and there are n------ and black people. (My player) is a good black kid."

Both interviews, held with separate announcers who were preparing for the broadcast, were off-camera.

Cochell, who coached the Sooners for 14 years, submitted a letter of resignation Sunday to school president David Boren, who had met with athletic director Joe Castiglione and members of the university's black community.

"As I have said in a public statement, I deeply regret that I carelessly used language that is clearly contrary to the basic values of our university," Cochell said in his resignation letter. "Those words also created an impression contrary to my own personal values and my respect for all people."

On campus Monday, students criticized the coach's use of the word.

"There are some things you just don't say and that's one of them," said sophomore Jesse Greadington III.

Robert Chamberlain, a junior, said it was disturbing that Cochell would repeat the epithet in two interviews. "It wasn't a one-time thing. He said it twice. It makes you wonder what he'd say when he was just around his peers."

whiteCB

Master
He's just saying what everybody knows, and what I've heard other black people say, I like black people its ******s I hate.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good title for the thread. Its about the truth. Its a shame he resigned over it, but he would've been crucified if he hadn't of. I saw something about it the day after it happened. The crazy thing is, he said nothing bad about the player at all, he just used that word. I wish people would be as criticized for taking the Lord's name in vain as they are for saying that word.

bigunreal

Mentor
What really gets me is how the disgraced person, every time in these
situations, issues a heartfelt apology, even after their job has been
lost and their life ruined. What is the point of this typically
spinless white guy issuing an apology after he's already been fired?
What he said was stupid, and reflective of how these redneck coaches
actually feel behind closed doors, but these apologies are too much.
Plus, they never work. All these guys should take a cue from Mark
Fuhrmann, who is the only white man in modern times to have been
attacked viciously by the media over alleged "racism" and survived the
ordeal. Fuhrmann didn't apologize for anything, and has managed to
carve out a very nice career wrting true crime books. All other white
guys in trouble with the thought police should follow his lead.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
That's a good idea bigunreal. I didn't think about Fuhrman. It is stupid for people to apologize. I guess they believe the line that says the worst thing you can be called in the US today if your white is a racist.

azguy

Just saw the story on the eternally evil, "cracker" hating ESPN. "Outside the lines" had a hangmans jurry pretty much bash Cochell over the head with baseball bats.

Would ESPN ever be fair and balenced. Would they dear ask if a black man would be forced to resign (or fired) if called a white guy "cracker", or "honkey". God knows I hear black athletes say "white boy" all the time.

When Cochell gets well from his upcoming heart surgery. I only hope some college has the balls to hire him and win a NCCA Championship!!

Hey I wonder what "black guy" has to say about this but, then again I really don't care what he thinks.Edited by: azguy

pugnus

The guy made a racist comment end of discussion. He should pay the price for his actions.

pugnus

bigunreal said:
What really gets me is how the disgraced person, every time in these situations, issues a heartfelt apology, even after their job has been lost and their life ruined. What is the point of this typically spinless white guy issuing an apology after he's already been fired? What he said was stupid, and reflective of how these redneck coaches actually feel behind closed doors, but these apologies are too much. Plus, they never work. All these guys should take a cue from Mark Fuhrmann, who is the only white man in modern times to have been attacked viciously by the media over alleged "racism" and survived the ordeal. Fuhrmann didn't apologize for anything, and has managed to carve out a very nice career wrting true crime books. All other white guys in trouble with the thought police should follow his lead.
Fuhrman was a piece of sh*t who practically guaranteed that OJ walked away from a murder rap. Remember that when you whine about the OJ trial

bigunreal

Mentor
Fuhrmann was irrelevant to the OJ case. He only became an issue because
the incredibly inept prosecution and the ridiculous, star-struck judge
allowed him to. He was a good cop, with a clean record. I think it's
great that he's managed to overcome all the odds stacked against him
and has actually become a sought after talking head on television, with
no one ever mentioning his moment of infamy or the "racist" label. In
Don King's America, that's very rare and refreshing.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
I hope he didnt just say way to go nigga
smiley5.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Fuhrman irrevelent to the OJ case??? Wasn't he the guy who found the bloody glove and decided to enter OJ's house without a warrent. Sounds pretty relevent to me. He screwed up by saying he never had used the word n*gger in his life on the stand and then they got tapes of him using the *word of death*. Fuhrman got a bad rap though. I agree he seems like a good guy and was probably a good cop and he has had success since then so the last laugh is his. He is probably richer then OJ now.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
pugnus said:
The guy made a racist comment end of discussion. He should pay the price for his actions.

He apologized he deserves to keep his job.

pugnus

jaxvid said:
Fuhrman irrevelent to the OJ case??? Wasn't he the guy who found the bloody glove and decided to enter OJ's house without a warrent. Sounds pretty relevent to me. He screwed up by saying he never had used the word n*gger in his life on the stand and then they got tapes of him using the *word of death*. Fuhrman got a bad rap though. I agree he seems like a good guy and was probably a good cop and he has had success since then so the last laugh is his. He is probably richer then OJ now.
If he can live with the fact that because of him a killer got away sure .

Fuhrman basically put the nail in the coffin for the prosecution

1 Dumbass prosecution

2 brilliant defense attorney like Cochran or not the man was a brilliant lawyer

3 tainted blood evidence

4 dumbass racist cop Mark Fuhrman

All these things together = OJ getting away with murder

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
The idea that someone lose a job over a "racist" comment is ridiculous. Who did he put down with his comment? No one at all. He praised the kid. It was stupid to say, but he shouldn't have been fired.

Kaptain

Master
Bigunreal is correct - Fuhrman was irrelevent to the case. The case was done when the jury was selected. You don't need a warrant to enter a house when a blood trail of a killer still on the loose led you there. That would be ridiculous. Any body with a brain knows that tainted blood evidence doesn't come up with a perfect DNA match every time. Anyways, I still waiting for a black coach or player who has made racial remarks against whites to get fired.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm still waiting too Kaptain Poop, and I think we're in for a very long one.

Charlie

Guru
All of this argues for the elimination of intercollegiate athletics. Granted, the speech police are active in professional baseball, but there remains the option of an owner inviting them to stuff it. Mr. Selig would dearly love to command the Orioles and Astros to have Black players, but he lacks the power. In contrast the Federal government, by threatening to withhold funds, can make it very difficult for any college that doesn't cater to the Black/Leftist agenda. Ergo, Bob Jones University.

In terms of the White agenda college baseball poses a problem. Hispanics fill the minor leagues while Whites play four short season and meet the demands of actually attending classes (there is no Rocks for Jocks curriculum for mostly White baseball players as there is for mostly Black football and basketball players). Hispanics are playing a long season against better competition, receiving better coaching (the replacement for Cochell may be a better or worse coach, but he will definitely be sensitive to the special needs of special people, which is to say college baseball coaching has more to do with politics rather than producing winning teams and players), getting paid, learning a few words of English, visiting the local prostitutes, and generally settling into the job of being a professional athlete.

And a college degree? Well, when you run out of toilet paper...

JD074

Master
Dusty Baker didn't use a racial epithet, but he did admit to an
opinion that could conceivably affect the playing time of his
white players. Imagine if a white coach professed a similar
opinion about black players. He'd be instantly unemployed.

bigunreal

Mentor
Jaxvid-

Whether Fuhrmann was or was not a "racist," however that term is
defined, his comments in the past about blacks or anyone else were
totally irrelevant to the OJ case. No honest judge would have permitted
all that nonsense to be entered into evidence. Because Marcia Clark
wanted a black jury, when Cochrane played the inevitable race card,
they were perfectly willing to hang Fuhrmann out to dry. It is
wonderful poetic justice that Furhmann is now probably doing better
than anyone else associated with the OJ embarrassment.

Bear-Arms

Mentor
JD074 said:
Dusty Baker didn't use a racial epithet, but he did admit to an opinion that could conceivably affect the playing time of his white players. Imagine if a white coach professed a similar opinion about black players. He'd be instantly unemployed.

What did he say exactly?

BonnieBlue

Here are some of Baker's quotes from a USA Today article:

"It's easier for most Latin guys and it's easier for most minority people because most of us come from the heat"

"What I meant is that blacks and Latins take the heat better than most whites, and whites take the cold better than most blacks and Latins."

"...We were brought over here for the heat, right? Isn't that history? Weren't we brought overbecause we could take the heat?"

"People have accused me of being sensitive, but maybe they're too sensitive. I'm not elaborating on it any more. End of topic. I said what I mean."

Wouldn't it be refreshing for a white coach to stand behind hisstatements of a racial nature in like fashion?

Bear-Arms

Mentor
Yeah, a white coach would have had to apologize for such statements. The black kids when I was in school were the first ones to complain about the heat. So, I disagree with him on that.

Bart

Hall of Famer
pugnus said:

Why should he pay the price for his actions? He doesn't have a right to hold views-you-don't agree with? Have you ever read some of the quotes of our founding fathers, politicians and presidents? They spoke about race and made comments which would not be tolerated today. Are we now going to build gulags for the politically incorrect?

I am so sick of white people apologizing and begging forgiveness for saying the word-******- when colored people use it all the time. It can't be too offensive if they use it in every other sentence? Yes, I used the word colored, knowing full wellthe wordis also considered offensive. Isn't it ironic , the biggest civil rights groupis calledthe NAACP -- The National Association for the Advancement of COLORED people! They still use the name for their organization, it's fine, it's okay but if I say COLOREDI am a redneck, which by the way is a derisive wordforwhites but who the heck cares?

Certain words were not to be used in civil society such as the- F-word but Hollywood declared war on traditional values and relentlessly screamedprofanities at the the top of their lungsuntil the wordsbecame commonplace!

Hey,why don't we adopt their strategy? What if we used the word ****** as often as ******s do? Perhaps the word would lose it's shock value as have formerly forbidden words. I'm tired of the double standards.I understand this message board has guidelines but in my personal life I will not mince words. Hip - Hop artists are getting rich and famous using the word, why should I be stigmatized?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart, you have been around this site long enough to know that I agree completely with you. I think the double-standard is crazy. I also hate the term African-American, as do my black classmates. It is incorrect and is divisive. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

okra63

Guru
There definitely is a double standard, but wherever you go you are going to run into this problem, so get used to it and try to deliver people from it!!!!