some observations of college signing day

referendum

Mentor
A quick glance of signing day seems to suggest that things won't be changing too much in college football, with programs that recruit at least some whites continuing to do so, and the SEC as bad as usual.
One thing I looked at is what offers some white athletes had to choose from. I noticed that several who signed with Iowa were from Iowa and Iowa represented their only big school offer. This was the case with a few Minnesota players as well, being from the state, and getting offers only from Minnesota. What this shows is that when the local big school goes away from recruiting locally and searches for black athletes from the south or the big cities the result is a disaster, as that takes away the one best chance for overlooked local white players. Of course Mississippi and Miss State recruit locally as well, but just not white players.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
BYU signed 21 in its class this year. that includes 9 white players, made up of:
2 defensive backs (cornerback Trevor Bateman and safety Craig Bills who looks AWESOME);
2 wide receivers (Mitch Mathews and Brett Thompson);
2 tight ends (Remington Peck and Richard Wilson);
1 linebacker (Jordan Atkinson);
2 offensive linemen (Terry Alletto and Brad Wilcox).

unfortunately, it looks like Polynesians were the flavor of choice for the BYU coaching staff this year.

to see complete descriptions and highlights of the whole class, click this link.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Arkansas signed 31 players, but only 7 were white.

2 o-linemen (Colby Berna and Travis Swanson);
1 defensive end (Ryan Calendar);
1 linebacker (Austin Moss);
1 safety/linebacker (Ross Rasner);
1 tight end (Austin Tate);
1 wide receiver (Neal Barlow).

for brief profiles, photos, and highlights for some of the players, click this link. (by the way, i will be talking more about this class in the Arkansas High School football thread.)

there are dark days ahead for the Razorbacks under Bobby Petrino.
smiley11.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
most reports have Ohio State with the #1 recruiting class this year. of its 25 signees, 9 were white. no whites were signed at the skill positions, including quarterback.
smiley11.gif

3 o-linemen (Corey Linsley, Sam Longo, and Jack Mewhort);
1 tight end (Reid Fragel);
2 defensive tackles (Adam Bellamy and John Simon);
3 linebackers (Zach Boren, Adam Homan and Storm Klein).

for brief player profiles and highlight videos, click this link.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Stanford has experienced a resurgence under head coach Jim Harbaugh, who has played a lot of white kids, even at forbidden positions.

this year, the Cardinal signed 22 players. 13 were white.

2 quarterbacks (Taysom Hill and Josh Nunes);
1 tailback (Tyler Gaffney);
1 o-lineman (Kevin Danser);
3 tight ends (Zach Ertz, Ryan Hewitt, and Jordan Najvar);
3 defensive ends (Ben Gardner, Josh Mauro, and Trent Murphy);
2 linebackers (Geoff Meinken and Shayne Skov);
1 safety (Jarek Lancaster).

for player bios and highlights, click here.

Riddlewire

Master
It seems my CF Recruiting Thread won't be needed this year. Most everyone here is checking out the schools for themselves.
[Edited content for whiney children]
From my own observations of this year's college football recruiting classes, it seems like this year is significantly worse than last year. I might make a post later on about conference and coaching trends, now that I've got multiple years of data as a reference.
Edited by: Riddlewire

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Iowa has long been a team that plays a lot of white kids, and as such i like them quite a bit. this year, they signed 19 in their class. 12 were white.
smiley32.gif

5 o-linemen (Conor Boffeli, Drew Clark, Matt Murphy, Brett Van Sloten, and Bolan MacMillan?);
2 tight ends (Dakota Getz and Anthony Schiavone);
1 tailback (Brandon Wegher);
1 fullback (Shane DiBona);
2 d-linemen (Scott Covert and Martin Hopkins);
1 linebacker (Jake Reisen);

for brief player profiles and pics, click here.

edited to make a correction.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Riddlewire, i was just trying to help you out a bit with checking out a few teams i usually pull for. i was not trying to steal your thunder!
smiley9.gif

please continue your good work. i will kindly step aside.
smiley1.gif

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Jimmy Chitwood said:
Iowa has long been a team that plays a lot of white kids, and as such i like them quite a bit. this year, they signed 19 in their class. 13 were white.
smiley32.gif

5 o-linemen (Conor Boffeli, Drew Clark, Matt Murphy, Brett Van Sloten, and Bolan MacMillan?);
2 tight ends (Dakota Getz and Anthony Schiavone);
1 tailback (Brandon Wegher);
1 fullback (Shane DiBona);
1 wide receiver (Jordan Cotton
2 d-linemen (Scott Covert and Martin Hopkins);
1 linebacker (Jake Reisen);

for brief player profiles and pics, click here.

Jordan Cotton is a mulatto!

[url]http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key =69626&sport=1[/url]

Click photo gallery for total confirmation.

Nolan MacMillan is White.

[url]http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key =88578[/url]

Edited by: Deadlift

Jimmy Chitwood said:
most reports have Ohio State with the #1 recruiting class this year. of its 25 signees, 9 were white. no whites were signed at the skill positions, including quarterback.
smiley11.gif

3 o-linemen (Corey Linsley, Sam Longo, and Jack Mewhort);
1 tight end (Reid Fragel);
2 defensive tackles (Adam Bellamy and John Simon);
3 linebackers (Zach Boren, Adam Homan and Storm Klein).

for brief player profiles and highlight videos, click this link.

That's unfortunate about Ohio State this year. It's possible that OSU could start two whites at WR next year (Sanzenbacher and Stoneburner). That's as long as they don't move Stoneburner to TE. I think Pryor is going to prove a bust, as will this "no. 1" recruiting class.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
For UGA, only 4 of 17 signees were White...but 2 are QBs (Zach Mettenberger & Aaron Murray). One OL (Dallas Lee) & LB (Chase Vasser). Murray's a very athletic QB & Vasser runs a 4.5/40.Edited by: DixieDestroyer

Jimmy Chitwood said:
Stanford has experienced a resurgence under head coach Jim Harbaugh, who has played a lot of white kids, even at forbidden positions.

this year, the Cardinal signed 22 players. 13 were white.

2 quarterbacks (Taysom Hill and Josh Nunes);
1 tailback (Tyler Gaffney);
1 o-lineman (Kevin Danser);
3 tight ends (Zach Ertz, Ryan Hewitt, and Jordan Najvar);
3 defensive ends (Ben Gardner, Josh Mauro, and Trent Murphy);
2 linebackers (Geoff Meinken and Shayne Skov);
1 safety (Jarek Lancaster).

for player bios and highlights, click here.
Is Gaffney going to be a runningback or fullback? Scout and Rivals have him at FB.

Jack Lambert

Hall of Famer
Nebraska signed 21 players, 9 of which were white. Not one white defensive player though.
smiley11.gif
Although a lot of Nebraksa's white defensive and skill players come from around Nebraska though.

QB- Taylor Martinez
WR/HB- Rex Burkhead
FB- C.J. Zimmerer
TE- J.T. Kerr
OL- Jeremiah Sirles, Brent Qvale, Nick Ash, Jesse Coffey, Cole Pensick

We also recuited Cody Green, a black QB from Texas. I pray Pelini won't give into the system and start him. I would rather see Patrick Witt or Taylor Martinez start over him. Hopefully, Rex will get a shot at both HB and WR. ROy Helu is nothing special. Also, he could probably win a WR job away from Holt or Brooks.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Stanford's Shayne Skov looks like he is a quarter or half black to me for sure. He would be considered black by the caste system.

Tyler Gaffney is expected to play tailback at Stanford from what I've heard on message boards. Rivals and Scout are a joke; just check out Gaffney's highlights to see how talented a runner he is. He is a freak talent. He looks similar to black RB prospect Cierre Wood. Gaffney would be in my top 10 tailbacks overall this year.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Jimmy the extreme favoring of Polynesians by BYU is troubling to me. They are a small group by population compared to whites and BYU seems to be recruiting just about as many of them as whites.

When will BYU bring in more white RBs again. Surely they haven't forgotten about the best BYU RB in history; white Luke Staley!

Mike

Guru
ToughJ.Riggins said:
Jimmy the extreme favoring of Polynesians by BYU is troubling to me. They are a small group by population compared to whites and BYU seems to be recruiting just about as many of them as whites.

When will BYU bring in more white RBs again. Surely they haven't forgotten about the best BYU RB in history; white Luke Staley!

It's not like they are bringing in random polynesian kids. The LDS connection has A LOT to do with it.

Mike said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:

It's not like they are bringing in random polynesian kids. The LDS connection has A LOT to do with it.
Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I believe the sole reason BYU has so many white and polynesian players is for the fact that it is connected to the Mormon (err, I guess that's not PC anymore but whatever) faith.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I certainly want to see the Polynesian kids or any kids with talent getting the chance, but it seems that BYU is only recruiting Polynesian tailbacks. In the past they recruited both whites and Polynesians for tailback. They have recruited one white tailback J.J Diluigi in the last 4 years if I am correct. There was another white prospect last year (6'3 225 lbs. 4.45 speed) Jerry Bruner? from Washington, but I don't know if they see him as a tailback.

I know there are a fair amount of Polynesians in Salt Lake City, but there are far more whites in Utah and across the country to choose from than Polynesians. When you are bringing in equal Polynesians if not more than whites; something doesn't add up demographically.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Mike said:

i don't care.

there are plenty of white kids that would not only be more than good enough to play at BYU, but they'd also be able to fit in to the high moral standard they call their "honor code" with fewer problems. BYU has had repeated honor code violations in recent years, and they have inevitably been with non-whites.

Colonel Reb, who studied at BYU can attest to this fact.

so, recruit white kids and win with no off-field issues, or recruit non-whites and hope they don't rape somebody. furthermore, it's not like BYU's polynesian backs are setting college football on fire. white running backs who are big, powerful, and run a 4.6 40 (which is the prototype for their polynesian backs) are a dime a dozen. why travel all the way out to the islands to bring in some mission project?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Deadlift said:
Jordan Cotton is a mulatto!

thanks for the correction, Deadlift. you are absolutely right. i will edit the original post. as you can see from his player profile, Iowa's photo of him looked like a young white man.

i appreciate the help.
smiley1.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
JC from what I've heard; Utah has a very low violent crime rate even in the Salt Lake City area where there are in fact now a significant number of Polynesians living there. There is a lack of gangs in that state. From what I know there is not a "large" disparity in violent crime rates between Polynesians and whites in Utah. If there is; my opinion is it mostly has to do with poverty, or breakdown in the family and resulting drug use from those components not genetics.

I have admitted before though that certain groups might be predisposed to tempers (Sicilians, Irish, blacks etc.) or addiction (Native Americans and alcoholism) but I don't think any group has an inherently bad nature.

Also JC: I think Stanford's Shayne Skov is part black. I looked at all his Rivals pictures and he looked it. I could be wrong, but I looked pretty closely.

I posted in the other thread that we should all pick a conference for a second "Caste Football Recruiting Championship" so Riddlewire doesn't feel he has to do it all by himself this year. Thanks again to Riddlewire for his work last year!
smiley32.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ToughJ.Riggins said:
JC from what I've heard; Utah has a very low violent crime rate even in the Salt Lake City area where there are in fact now a significant number of Polynesians living there. There is a lack of gangs in that state. From what I know there is not a "large" disparity in violent crime rates between Polynesians and whites in Utah. If there is; my opinion is it mostly has to do with poverty, or breakdown in the family and resulting drug use from those components not genetics.

I have admitted before though that certain groups might be predisposed to tempers (Sicilians, Irish, blacks etc.) or addiction (Native Americans and alcoholism) but I don't think any group has an inherently bad nature.

For someone as aware of the Caste System as you are, you seem to have gleaned your views about race from The Cosby Show. I'm amazed there's still someone who believes all the propaganda about there being no difference between races. I suggest that you relocate to a predominantly black area to test out your "We Are the World" ideas firsthand.

Salt Lake City has indeed seen a rise in gang activity and crime as more hispanics and Pacific Islanders have been brought in. Here's just one article I found about those poorly behaved "white Mormons."

Utah gang violence, graffiti spike

[url]http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4188/is_20060330/ai_ n16197673[/url]

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's another interesting article:

Tookie's Execution and the Salt Lake City Crips- Salt Lake Tribune

excerpt:

In the Salt Lake City area, police have documented some 900 people as Crips, not including the 150 Crips gangsters incarcerated at Utah State Prison.

The actual number of Crips in Utah could be much higher because of other gangs that align with them, said Lt. Dale Craig, of the Salt Lake Area Gang Project.

Salt Lake City is considered a "secondary gang city" because it has many of the same gang affiliations as influential cities Los Angeles and Chicago. But the complexion of these gangs is different.

In Los Angeles most Crips are black; in Salt Lake, they're Polynesian, Craig said.

In the early 1990s, the "Lay Low Crips" was the largest Crips sets in Salt Lake City, Craig said.

However, the "Tongan Crips Gang," which doesn't claim a specific turf, has since outgrown them.

While the Crips originated in Los Angeles, most gangsters in Salt Lake City are local youths who have adopted the California gang mentality - a lifestyle that has landed many of them behind bars.

http://www.gangwar.com/blog/2005/12/tookies-execution-and-sa lt-lake-city.html

Here's an article showing SLC's fast rising rate of violent crime just since 2001. Of course it has nothing to do with the city's fast changing demographics. We can assume that since the city is now just 79% white, that whites are commiting 79% of these crimes, right?:

http://www.greatsaltlakecityrealestate.com/localareas/salt-l ake-city-crime-statistics.htmEdited by: Don Wassall

Mike

Guru
Jimmy Chitwood said:
so, recruit white kids and win with no off-field issues, or recruit non-whites and hope they don't rape somebody. furthermore, it's not like BYU's polynesian backs are setting college football on fire. white running backs who are big, powerful, and run a 4.6 40 (which is the prototype for their polynesian backs) are a dime a dozen. why travel all the way out to the islands to bring in some mission project?

They don't always travel out "to the islands." There are many people of polynesian ancestry living in Utah and having success at the high school level. Wow, imagaine that, a program recruiting kids from its own state!

Also, I really wish you'd rethink your first statement. I know what you meant, but by saying something like that you discredit anything fairly intelligent written here. It's great that you can cite news articles about gang violence, but infering that every white football player in the world is a shining example of a citizen while every non-white football player is not is the kind of ignorant statement which makes most people laugh at the otherwise fairly persuasive arguments made for white football players on the site.

I don't know what your beef is with BYU. Should DiLuigi be getting more carries? Yea, I like to think so, but then again Unga and Fui have been a very good backs for them.

We can sit here and pick this program apart further if you'd like, but the way I see it the problems are elsewhere in the game and getting caught up on the "polynesian question" at BYU is a waste of time considering what's going on in oh I don't know, the SEC or ACC.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
ToughJ.Riggins said:

to follow up on what Don has already said Tough, you are obfuscating.

First point: Tough, you're regurgitating the fallacious argument that poverty causes violent crime. that idea is patently false. if poverty caused violent crime, then the Appalachians, which is the poorest region in America, would be the most violent area of the country. however, the Appalachians also happen to be overwhelmingly white. so, it isn't surprising that according to a study by the Justice Department compiled in 2001, that despite widespread poverty, there is a very low crime rate. read for yourself.
... a majority of Appalachia's population continues to reside in counties characterized by economic distress and poverty. In spite of growing diversity in the region, a majority of the population resides in counties designated as having a distress ranking characterized by one or more of the following: at least 150 percent of the U.S. unemployment rate, at least 150 percent of the U.S. unemployment rate, or less than 67 percent of the U.S. per capita market income. Regional crime rates in Appalachia are lower than those for the nation as a whole.

While the social and economic distress experienced by much of Appalachia would seem to make the region particularly vulnerable to increasing rates of crime and violence, crime rates in Appalachia are only about 50 percent (for violent crime) to 65 percent (for property crime) of the national levels.

so, to summarize: poor white people equals very little crime. poor black or brown people equals EXHORBITANT crime. coincidence?
smiley2.gif

Second point: Tough, in this thread we aren't talking about some mythical poor ghetto here. we are talking about scholarship athletes on the same university campus. all scholarship football players get access to the same living conditions, the same monetary restraints, and the same support system and staff. once arriving on campus, all scholarship football players start out the same.

so, if your notion of socio-economic issues were true, then why is it that after leveling the playing field the non-whites continue to vastly out-perform their white peers when it comes to violent crime and rules violations?

methinks the answer is obvious, though politically incorrect.
smiley2.gif
Tough, you are intelligent enough to see through the political correctness. don't allow your optimistic idealism to prevent you from seeing life as it is. the facts clearly illustrate that black and brown people commit violent crime at a MUCH higher rate than white folks. "hoping" and "thinking" we're all the same except for how we look won't change that.