Skiers, the great unknown U.S. athletes..

SteveB

Mentor
I haven't seen many posts on here about some of the greatest athletes in the U.S., skiers. This past winter, U.S. ski team finished its best year in history. They finished 2nd as a team only behind the Austrians. An American won the coveted World Cup overall crown for the first time in over 20 years. Here is a little bio of some of America's best.

Bode Miller - The most dominating skier in the world right now. Just won the World Cup overall crown as the best all-around skier. Also, won the world championships in Super G and Overall. World rankings include #2 in Giant Slalom, #1 in Super G, #2 in Downhill, #15 in slalom and #1 Overall. At 6'2" 210 lbs has the power to ski the speed events and the quickness and rhythm to ski the slalom. Also, won the Superstars Competition a couple of years ago against athletes from all different sports.

Jeremy Bloom - Moguls skier and former football star for the Univ of Colorado. If you have never watched a moguls competition, these guys have cat-like quickness and thighs of steel. This year Bloom became the first man to win six consecutive moguls contests in one season as he won his second World Cup moguls crown. He closed the season by taking the bronze medal in dual moguls at the World Championship. Also, won the Superstars Competition in 2003.

Daron Rahlves - Finished the year 5th in the World Cup overall rankings. Took 2nd in the Downhill and 3rd in the Giant Slalom at the World Championships.

With the Winter Olympics coming up next winter, look for these guys to win some medals.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Most people don't think about skiers when they think of athletes, but these men and women are, no doubt. You have to be in good shape to do those cross country runs. Think of the endurance it takes, as well as quick reflexes and strength to make quick moves and perform at a peak level with all that equipment on. My hat is off to them. I hope to get a taste of skiing in Utah this winter.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have loved to ski since I was around 8 years old.It
takes alot of physical stamina and agility.These athletes
are in incredible shape.I started a post in the football
about Jeremy Bloom and how he could be a running back.
If you watch him attack the moguls,it is amazing.The
jolt it takes on your knees,joints and your whole body
is incredible.I love to ski and jump but I could only
dream about doing moguls like Bloom.Miller is the best
downhill skier this country has ever seen.Do you guys
remember the Maer Twins from the 80's?They skied in the
Lake Placid Olympics in NY.They were great.

SteveB

Mentor
I too have been an avid skier since I was a kid. I don't think most people can appreciate the athletic ability it takes to ski moguls like those guys. I go about 50 yards down a mogul run and I'm winded and my thighs are on fire. Competitive mogul skiers make it look so easy, it's not. I think that Bloom could be a world class athlete at just about any sport whether it's track, football, or soccer. He's that gifted.

Phil Maher was the last American man, before Miller, to win the World Cup overall and his brother Steve won a silver medal in the 84 Olympics. There have been some American Olympic medalist since the early 80's, but until recently, we haven't had any dominant skiers like the Maher twins.