Sharks to help develop hockey in China

Bear-Arms

Mentor
The San Jose Sharks will be sending three coaches and five players to China to compete in the Asia Ice Hockey League to help develop hockey in the world's most populous nation.

The players and coaches who will spend the season playing for the China Sharks will compete against Japanese and Korean teams in the Asian league's.

''It is the first time we have got the support from the NHL and we can say that they came to support us in our most difficult period,'' Chinese Winter Sports Administrative Centre vice director Lan Li told the China Daily.

''We want to see ice hockey grow in China, to be as popular as basketball, soccer and Olympics right now,'' the paper quoted Sharks President & CEO Greg Jamison.

Source

The Asian Hockey League is abismal. My ex-college team would mop the floor with any of these Chinamen-on-ice. Makes me want to go over there and play just to prove a point.

Anyway here's a clip from youtube of an Asian Ice Hockey League "brawl". Get ready, because its time for the "Friday Night Sissy Fights", complete with kicking and bitch-slapping.
smiley36.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TuOBz5udLfY

yanling

Guru
meh... we'll always be good gymnasts and high divers though. Boo-yah!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
And good 110 hurdlers and French Open Tennis players. Michael Chang was a beast on clay!

Edited to add: A beast on clay is a bit of an oxy-moron. The clay game is about footwork, balance, finesse and quickness, much less about power. A beast on clay would probably tear his hamstring!
smiley36.gif
Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Bear-Arms

Mentor
yanling said:

So much of the game is about speed now. I think the Chinese could excel in international competition with the larger ice surface.

Bear-Arms said:
yanling said:

So much of the game is about speed now. I think the Chinese could excel in international competition with the larger ice surface.

Honestly Bear-Arms, I don't think they have the physical builds or toughness to handle the abuse at the NHL level. Maybe in the Olympics, like in the past, but not in the NHL. I remember ten years ago when I was spending part of my summer in Canton, NY at a Huron Hockey Camp. We were in a classroom going over some things on the chalkboard. Well, my instructor had asked the class which new nationality we thought would be breaking into pro hockey in the near future. No one had a clue, so he finally said, "Asians" because of their speed.

This was ten years ago when I was in bantam AA (13-15 year old division), and I have yet to see any serious Asian talent emerge in the NHL since then. There are one or two players in the league right now (Richard Park and some other guy), and they are decent players, but they aren't exactly the best when it comes to the more "physical" aspects of the game. Let's put it this way. If a bench-clearer ever broke out, these guys wouldn't last long. I mean, just think about it and picture this scenario:

A line brwal breaks out on the ice and everyone is paired with their respective combatants except for the Asian player. Then he looks across from him and sees a guy like "Wild" Andy Sutton or "Psychotic" Scott Parker standing there with his gloves off and ready to dance. You tell me how long little Charlie Wang is going to last. lol.

I'm not trying to be funny, I'm being serious. Even if they can manage to avoid fighting, they still have to be able to handle the hitting in the NHL. Even the fastest of the fast eventually get tagged by someone after a while. Case in point, Paul Kariya. He's half Asian and also very much on the small side physically for the NHL. Scott Stevens caught him and jacked him up so bad with a hit in the playoffs a few years ago, that he was laying on the ice unconscious for minutes.

Actually, here's the link to that insanely destructive hit on youtube:

The general rule is: Don't stand on the tracks when the trains coming through. Especially when that train is coming out of the Meadowlands with the #4 on it...a.k.a. Scott Stevens.
smiley36.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvG3t1auH4Edited by: Ground Fighter

This is so wrong. They should send coaches and players from the Blackhawks. In a short time, the chinamen would be so confused they won't be able to do anything. Why help our enemies?

Lance Alworth

Mentor
Ground Fighter said:
Bear-Arms said:
yanling said:

Honestly Bear-Arms, I don't think they have the physical builds or toughness to handle the abuse at the NHL level. Maybe in the Olympics, like in the past, but not in the NHL. I remember ten years ago when I was spending part of my summer in Canton, NY at a Huron Hockey Camp. We were in a classroom going over some things on the chalkboard. Well, my instructor had asked the class which new nationality we thought would be breaking into pro hockey in the near future. No one had a clue, so he finally said, "Asians" because of their speed.

This was ten years ago when I was in bantam AA (13-15 year old division), and I have yet to see any serious Asian talent emerge in the NHL since then. There are one or two players in the league right now (Richard Park and some other guy), and they are decent players, but they aren't exactly the best when it comes to the more "physical" aspects of the game. Let's put it this way. If a bench-clearer ever broke out, these guys wouldn't last long. I mean, just think about it and picture this scenario:

A line brwal breaks out on the ice and everyone is paired with their respective combatants except for the Asian player. Then he looks across from him and sees a guy like "Wild" Andy Sutton or "Psychotic" Scott Parker standing there with his gloves off and ready to dance. You tell me how long little Charlie Wang is going to last. lol.

I'm not trying to be funny, I'm being serious. Even if they can manage to avoid fighting, they still have to be able to handle the hitting in the NHL. Even the fastest of the fast eventually get tagged by someone after a while. Case in point, Paul Kariya. He's half Asian and also very much on the small side physically for the NHL. Scott Stevens caught him and jacked him up so bad with a hit in the playoffs a few years ago, that he was laying on the ice unconscious for minutes.

Actually, here's the link to that insanely destructive hit on youtube:

The general rule is: Don't stand on the tracks when the trains coming through. Especially when that train is coming out of the Meadowlands with the #4 on it...a.k.a. Scott Stevens.
smiley36.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdvG3t1auH4

I'm gonna go out on a limb there and disagree with you GF. I think the future of hockey (especially with the new rules in the NHL) is speed and finesse. The days of talentless goons like Scott Stevens bullying their way to Stanley Cups are over. and speaking of Stevens, What I wouldn't give to see some super fast Russian player splatter Scott Stevens brains all over the ice
smiley36.gif

Lance Alworth said:
I'm gonna go out on a limb there and disagree with you GF. I think the future of hockey (especially with the new rules in the NHL) is speed and finesse. The days of talentless goons like Scott Stevens bullying their way to Stanley Cups are over. and speaking of Stevens, What I wouldn't give to see some super fast Russian player splatter Scott Stevens brains all over the ice
smiley36.gif

lol...Oh Lance Lance Lance, here we go with the Scott Stevens argument again.There is NO ONE, Russian or otherwise, going to splatter Scott Stevens brains anywhere.
smiley36.gif
Come on Lance, the man is a legend, just admit it. He wasn't a goon either, he was a talented skater who knew how to sh*t-can people on the ice (Lindros, Kariya, Kozlov, etc.) and he did it legally.He also fought some of the baddest men to ever step on the ice (Bob Probert for one).

I love ya Lance, but once AGAIN, I must step in here to defend the greatest defenseman to ever play the game. Speaking of greatness, here is some of his finer work.
smiley36.gif
:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7U7jUbKQYdw

guest301

Hall of Famer
China has about 1.3 billion people. I am sure they can find plenty of 6-3 230 lb. Chinamen to play ice hockey and eventually with experience hold their own. I understand that their average size is 5-6 but they still manage to field a pretty tall and talented Olympic basketball team.