scarcity of black centers

white is right

Hall of Famer
White Shogun said:
From the article:

"There are no white cornerbacks, but thats for skill reasons. So no one says anything about that.

But why are there no black centers?"

I'm at a loss for words. I don't know what to say. I'm sitting here angry but with a lump in my throat at the same time. Its pretty discouraging.
Yes the doughy soft writer understands football. Where did they get this guy off of the city hall beat? I bet he hasn't done any form of exercise since junior high.......
smiley5.gif
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Quote from the article:

When the NFL opened its season last week, 32 starting quarterbacks took the field. Of those 32, six were African-American, which is a sign of progress and means skin color is no longer an issue when it comes to playing the position.

From scanning the rosters of all 32 teams, 8 are currently starting a black ormixed-race player atcenter (Bills, Cowboys, Dolphins, Eagles, Jags, Saints, Steelers, Titans), and 9 teams have blacks as their primary backup at center. Priscojettisoned that"lump in his throat" awfully fast.

whiteCB

Master
Deacon said:
Has anyone noticed how this year's centers has certainly gotten darker?

When Pete Prisco's article regarding the lack of black centers was written, the NFL had one starting black center. Now..

Melvin Fowler BUF
Andre Gurode DAL
Jeff Faine NO
Rex Hadnot MIA
Jamaal Jackson PHI

From one to five in just one year. Keep up the good work.

Jeff Faine IS NOT BLACK!!! He's as white as a dove. If he looks black on the field from the tv its because he has an insane amount of tattoos on his arm.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he isn't actually all white, he's half polynesian as far as i know.

34586.jpg

white is right

Hall of Famer
He's actually half black. His mother is black and I assume his dad is white as his mother is quite dark. In some file photos he seems like a regular white guy.

backrow

Hall of Famer
his full name is Jeffrey Kalei Faine, hence my assumption (not based on any solid evidence) of him being half polynesian. Kalei is a typical Hawaiian name

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Until he was mentioned earlier in this thread as being a non-white center, I always thought Faine was white, based on his name and where he played college ball. But he's clearly more than just white. Here's a couple more pics:

img9394904.jpg

FAINE.jpg

white is right

Hall of Famer
backrow said:
his full name is Jeffrey Kalei Faine, hence my assumption (not based on any solid evidence) of him being half polynesian. Kalei is a typical Hawaiian name
He could be tri-racial. Many Polynesians are partially white. Also the areas of Polynesia where rugby is played were German colonies at one time(Tonga Western Samoa) and many of these people have German surnames and partially German lineage.Edited by: white is right

white is right

Hall of Famer
Probably he would. I know of Wolfgramm (the 1996 Olympic Superheavyweight silver medalist saying he had German lineage). Also the Noga's from the NFL have a Polish surname and at one time many Poles were citizens of the German Empire.