Rocky Balboa (Rocky VI)

This afternoon I went to see the latest Bond film and saw a preview for "Rocky Balboa." It's being released December 20. Rocky is now in his late 50's, but is coming back to fight an exhibition with the reigning (black) champion.

A few weeks ago, I heard Don and J.B. Cash discuss the longing for a white heavyweight champion on GCNLive. They said that Stallone had gotten wealthy off this theme, but the present champions from Eastern Europe are ignored.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I have seen the previews. Right now I'm interested in watching this movie. The Soviet Union no longer exists but we now have 'real' Ivan Dragos taking over boxing and wiping out the ranks of American fighters. The dynamics of race and society seem to have changed a great deal since Stallone made the first few Rocky movies, so it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Rocky loses to Tarver in the end.

The previews portray the black guy (played by real-life boxer Antonio Tarver) as a showboating trash-talker in a real case of art imitating life.

Alpha Male

Mentor
I saw an advertisement for a big UFC fight coming up (sorry forgot the names). But what struck me was the theme: USA (Team Blue) vs. Russia (Team Red). After all these years they still like to portray the commies invading the good ol' US of A. Both fighters were white.

Alpha Male said:
I saw an advertisement for a big UFC fight coming up (sorry forgot the names). But what struck me was the theme: USA (Team Blue) vs. Russia (Team Red). After all these years they still like to portray the commies invading the good ol' US of A. Both fighters were white.

Alpha, I heard the same advertisment while I was training in my school gym. The Russian team was called the "Red Devils" or something like that. But what surprised me even more, was the fact that it was a rap station (HOT 97.1 FM) that was advertising a UFC match. I don't listen to that crap, but I attend a state school, so the weight room is controlled by the homeboys, just like in prison. God forbid anything else but rap be played in there, one of them might have a heart attack. lol.

JoeV

Guru
I will see this movie, just because I think all the Rocky movies are sweet. My four favorite Rocky things are: Clubber Lang, when Rocky fought Thunder Lips in the wrestler vs boxer match, when Drago literally killed Apollo Creed, and when Rocky and Tommy Morrison go into the street fight. I love the name of the black boxer in the movie: Mason Dixon
smiley36.gif