Reggie White

speedster

Mentor
I held back for a little while with this post,but here goes.I did not like Reggie White,in fact I though he was an idiot.When I heard that he had died,I assumed it was drug-related.White to me was another black athlete media-darling.He was a very good DE,but as a Cowboy fan,once Erik Williams arrived on the scene Reggie was totally neutralized and Dallas saw White a lot and I mean when he played with Green Bay.For a period of three years,the way it worked out is that Dallas would end up playing the Packers twice a year,once in the regular season and once in the playoffs and it was like White wasn't even on the field.So I wasn't really bothered by all his "greatness".My lasting impressions of him are as follows.Seeing him cus like crazy at the camera on the sidelines near the end of the 1995 NFC championship game in Dallas when it was evident the Packers were done.What class.Maybe someone can help me with this next one.Reggie made a speech to I think was the Wisconsin Legislature about how he thought things could improve in the state and I guess in the country by having people of various races and backgrounds handle certain jobs.For example Jews would handle everything related to money because of their"smarts".To me White would have been a good used-car salesman or a sleazy televangelist,which I think he nearly was since he was a preacher.

bigunreal

Mentor
I agree with you about White. I am sorry to see anyone go at such a
young age, but this guy was hardly the saint the media is portraying
him to have been. The speech you referred to was like a bad
script written for Archie Bunker; White just basically expounded upon
the perceived strengths and weaknesses of every racial and ethnic
group imaginable, in more stereotypical fashion than your average Grand
Wizard of the KKK. White was never ostracized for his ignorant and
truly bigoted comments, when we all know what would have happened if
ANY white public figure said anything half as inflammatory.

It should also be remembered that White started in motion the
ridiculous "racist" church bombings scare a few years back, when for a
period of a few months the media was awash in terrifying tales of black
churches being torched by unknown arsonists at an alarming rate. When
it turned out that no more black churches were burning than ever had,
and in fact more white churches had burned during that period of time,
the issue died but White was never held accountable for the role he
played in falsely alarming his fellow blacks. The media hero worship of
White now is really getting to be a bit much. I don't need to hear any
more white "journalists" or coaches tell us that Reggie White was "not
only a great player, but a great person."

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Flying the flag at half mast for him was really the bottom. Here's a guy who said so many inflammatory things and he still gets an undeserved honor. The media will worship anyone black no matter how underserving.

cxt7

Guru
His remarks were way worse then john rockers, yet reggie white is considered a hero in the black community and rocker is considered to be a racist.

I saw Reggie White play several times for Tennessee. His first 3 years, 1980-82, he was inconsistent. He really played well as a senior in 1983, however. I remember a game I attendedwhere he sacked the opposing quarterback again and again.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I'll disagree a bit on Reggie. After he addressed the Wisconsin legislature he took a fair amount of heat in the corporate media. Not nearly as much as a well-known white personality would have, but he received The Treatment nonetheless. I can remember the ultra-arrogant Jim Rome doing a "bigotry" parody of Jeopardy on his sports radio show, with the contestants being David Duke, Reggie White, and someone else who was supposed to represent ignorant "racism." White was basically delegitimized. You really heard very little about him after that incident until his death.

White was a great player, and in my opinion tried to be a good role model. A lot of the stuff after his death was the usual overdone, overly emotional tributes given to blacks, and the half-mast flags was inexcusable pandering, but he was for the most part a friendly personality who had strong religious convictions, much preferrable to the scowling, hostile demeanor presented by too many black athletes. I would much rather see young black kids looking up to someone like Reggie White than the army of thugs and gangstas the media glorifies now.

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I agree with Don. Reggie White in my opinion was a class act, and was one of the few black atheletes I found myself being able to relate to on a personal level. I am a devout Christian, and he personified what it meant to be a decent, honest, god-fearing human being in a society so filled with sinful behavior and overall immorality.

And also, Reggie White WAS deligitimized by the liberal media when he made comments against queers, when he said that they shouldn't try to lump themselves into the category of minorities because its not something that you're born with. People of all races practice this sick lifestyle, and its an evil lifestyle. As Don said, I would MUCH rather young white kids (as well as young black kids) look up to someone like Reggie White than a rapist (Kobe Bryant) or a murderer (Ray Lewis) who instead of being in prison where they rightfully belong, are turned into media darlings

IceSpeed

Guru
In a time where certain opinions just were not suppossed to be held,
White spoke out. Most people do not speak out and conform to
standards set by one of the major political parties. White's
opinions on race were not meant to be negative. I do not think he
believed in separation besed on raciall differences either. I
certainly do not feel that he felt that blacks were should play most
positions in the NFL. I think he would judge an individual by his
character and merit and not his genetics. As for homosexuality,
he hit the nai on the head. I agree with him on that.

As a player, he was good. I don't follow the sports' press much,
and I frequently watch football with the mute button on because I do
not like a lot of announcers. I would have him on my team.

I echo the above positive comments on Reggie White. Those comments cost Reggie a LOT of money. He lost a network job as a football analyst for one thing, plus endorsements. In a column after his death, the sports columnist for the Nashville Tennessean was still chastizing him for the Wisconsin speech.