rb-peyton hillis

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i plan on being at the game, and if i make it i'll give a report on his performance. maybe i'll even see Samuel Hain at the game. didn't he say that he's a Razorback fan?

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Send him a PM Jimmy, and you can find out.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Peyton Hillis ane the Arkansas Razorbacks opened their season with a blow out victory.Hillis had 14 carries for 142 yards and 3 touchdowns!Not a bad days work in a blow out.He could have probably had alot more.He also returned a few kicks and had a couple returns of over 20 yards.This guy's name should be Superman.lol.Way to go Hillis.
smiley4.gif

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
not to quibble, his actual stats were 14 carries, 135 yards, and 3 td's. and he had a catch for 3 yards, and returned a kickoff 22 yards.
smiley32.gif
as hard as it may seem, he actually had a bad game. two fumbles, one of which was his fault the other was just a great play by the defense, and dropped a couple o' passes. he talked about it after the game. he has a tremendous attitude. and it's incredible how good he will become. he's just a true sophomore!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
He had only 8 carries for 19 yards against USC's defense. He had 3 receptions for 22 yards, and a punt return for 4 yards. Finished 5'th on the team in all purpose yardage. USC was way too much of a team for Arkansas.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hillis got 9 carries today, second most on the team, and he got 54 yards. 2 Catches for 5 yards, 2 punt returns for 19 yards, and 1 KN return for 20 yards. Looks like he's tied for third in offensive production on the team.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the sad thing about Hillis' production is that he's so unselfish. he unselfishly lines up at fullback for the other runners on the team, and his blocking is the main reason for their big gains. for example, the 70-yard td run by mcfadden was created by a devastating lead block by Hillis (although mcfadden did throw a mean stiff arm after about 40 yards).

conversely, when Hillis runs he rarely even has a lead blocker. and furthermore, they never give him any runs to the outside. all of his yardage is earned on simple dive plays up the gut of the defense. it is so predictable that it's amazing he gets any yardage! i am so frustrated with the Hogs' head coach Houston Nutt-hugger!

and the starting QB, a black guy, is terrible! at one point in the game, he was 8-19 for 48 yards! and aside from the one interception he threw, he had at least 6 other passes hit defensive players in the chest or hands! but the guy is entrenched as the starter because Nutt loves the way his jock smells, i guess...
smiley5.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
They really did get themselves into a quandry by not getting a suitable, competant replacement for Matt Jones. This guy is pretty bad, just like Micheal Spurlock at Ole Miss.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
the situation has gotten so bad at Arkansas that last week Peyton went to the defensive coach asking to play linebacker. yeah, believe it.

the program is in total disarray. the defense sucks so bad, i don't know where to begin talking about it. but more importantly for this thread, Hillis is being misused so terribly that he felt a position change would be better than putting up with the continual bs.

he's the best back, nay the best player, on the team and consistently finds himself getting fewer touches than, and lining up in front of to block for, guys who are less gifted.

he's not the fastest, but he's the most complete, most dangerous player on the offense. that's not my opinion, that's based on opposing defensive coordinators game plans. they say stop Hillis, and we win. hmmm...maybe the Hogs' coaches should figure that out, and quit giving him the occasional dive play to run and actually give him the minimum 25-30 touches they repeatedly espoused during the offseason.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I agree on your hypothesis.Hillis needs to get alot of carries to ware down the defense.He is very similar to Kyle Bell who gets stronger as the game goes on.J.Bettis has been the same kind of running back for years and is one of the best of all time like John Riggins.A big powerful back needs multiple carries.They give up or make him share the load to much.Colorado State finally figured it out by accident(injury),maybe Arkansas can figure it out before it's too late!

white tornado

Mentor
Peyton got only 5 carrys for 15 yards on saterday. I doubt they are going to let him be the star we wanted to see.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Man, I sure wish they would give him at least 15 carries. It isn't close to fair unless they do.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
This goes back to the point we made in another thread about Kyle Bell.In alot of ways,he is lucky to be at a little smaller school like Colorado State.Arkansas seems to be treating Hillis like all of the big school usually treat any outstanding white athlete.It's such a shame.Let's hope that he gets some more time soon.At least he is only a sophmore but I don't want to see him waste his college eligibilty like Tre Smith did waiting for a chance that may never come.If that is the case,he should transfer to a school that will start him!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton had 4 carries for 8 yards in the loss to Auburn, but he lead Arkansas receiving with 81 yards on 7 catches. He also had one punt return for 27 yards. Nutt would be wise to start Peyton again, or at least use him more. You can see that he is productive.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton had only 2 rushes for 3 yards, led the team in receiving yards with 41 on 5 catches, 1 KO return for 23 yards, and 4 P returns for 23 yards in a close loss to Georgia.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton and the Hogs have the week off to get ready for HC and South Carolina, but Peyton now leads the team with 25 catches, going ahead of black WR Marcus Monk. Even in limited use, Hillis proves he's the best player on the team.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton ended the day with a 9 yard punt return and 3 catches for 13 yards and a TD. He got 0 carries today, when Arkansas could have used him to beat South Carolina.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton ended up with 3 carries fo 14 yards, but he also had 4 catches for 40 yards and a TD, as well as 3 punt returns for 21 yards in a 28-17 win over Ole Miss.

KG2422

Mentor
What I don't understand is if they will let him return punts then he must have the speed to go with his power. He would make an excellent tailback. It's much easier to make big yards from tailback unless you run the wishbone. His stats would look much better and so would Arkansas. But I'm preaching to the choir. It gets frustrating. And I hate seeing good people get cheated.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton had a pretty good day today, beating Mississippi State 44-10. He had 5 runs for 28 yards, and led the team with 4 catches, 53 yards, and a TD. He also had 3 punt returns for 23 yards. Now, get 100 yards receiving against LSU next week and you will have led the team in receiving for the year!
smiley32.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Peyton has 3 catches for 58 yards against LSU so far. I hope they beat LSU!

white tornado

Mentor
BY BOB HOLT

Posted on Sunday, April 2, 2006

Improving the passing game is a focus of spring practice at Arkansas, but the Razorbacks can still run the ball.

That was evident during Saturday's scrimmage, which was highlighted by a 60-yard touchdown run from sophomore All-SEC tailback Darren McFadden and a 50-yard touchdown run by junior fullback Peyton Hillis.

Sophomore tailback Felix Jones added a 10-yard touchdown run and had a 21-yard run.

"The thing about those guys is that if you take one bad angle, one bad step, they'll break it," Arkansas Coach Houston Nutt said. "Peyton is a little quicker this year, and for sure Darren and Felix can go the distance. They're home-run hitters."

Hillis also caught three passes for 44 yards, including a 25-yard touchdown pass from Robert Johnson.

"In my mind, I think we can have the best backfield in the nation," Hillis said. "That's just me. Other people might have a different opinion, but I think we're really coming along."

Hillis has maintained his weight at about 235 pounds, but said he ran the 40-yard dash in 4. 49 seconds during the off-season, the fastest he's ever been.

"He can be a power runner for us, he can catch the ball out of the backfield he can be a down-thefield receiver," Nutt said of Hillis. "He's got a lot of roles, and we're going to need him.

" If you watch him, he doesn't take a lazy step. He's probably one of the most well-conditioned athletes we have on our team. That's what I appreciate. He never, ever goes half-speed."

Hillis recognized the defense was in a safety blitz on his 50-yard scoring run and found a huge hole to burst through. On his touchdown catch, he drifted out into the flat, then cut upfield to the end zone.

"Peyton is as versatile as any player you'll see," Arkansas offensive coordinator Gus Malzahn said. "The flexibility you have to move him around is a lot of fun."

Hillis led the Razorbacks with 38 receptions last season but averaged 10. 6 yards per catch. He's running more deeper routes this spring.

"I've still got a whole lot to learn, but I'm having so much fun," Hillis said. "We still haven't gotten that deep in our playbook yet, and that's exciting. I'm anxious to know what we're going to learn next."

SteveB

Mentor
I wonder if anyone will compare him to a bigger version of Reggie Bush?
smiley36.gif
Probably not.

whiteCB

Master
SteveB come on now God forebid some compares a white player to a "superior" black player. lol