Ratings for Game 1 lowest ever...

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
in prime time:

June 8, 2007

NEW YORK (AP) -- Game 1 of the NBA finals drew the lowest rating ever for an opening-game in prime time, dropping 19 percent from last year.

The San Antonio Spurs' 85-76 victory over the Cleveland Cavaliers on Thursday night earned a 6.3 rating and 11 share on ABC. The previous low was a 6.4/11 in 2003.

Last year's Game 1 between Miami and Dallas earned a 7.8 rating and 14 share.

The rating is the percentage watching a telecast among all homes with televisions, and the share is the percentage tuned in to a broadcast among those households with televisions on at the time. A ratings point represents 1,114,000 households.

cslewis1

Guru
White Shogun, you've made my day. I tell you, I've actually been kind of depressed by the horrible Stanley Cup ratings and all the media laughing at my sport. Then to see Lebron being crowned king of the world because of ONE good game vs. Detroit, was like the knife being dug deeper. And I felt for sure the NBA ratings would have been very good. But to read this just makes my day,and proves that hockey is NOT DEAD YET.

What the numbers prove is that hockey and for that matter, any sport other than the NFL, needs is for its big market teams to be in the championship. It's that simple. Take out the big cities like NY, LA and Chicago and the ratings won't follow.

I'd say the NBA is even lucky to have this rating, given that if Detroit beat Cleveland, it'd have been much worse.

G

That's still 6 times as many people as hockey. Hoops is still a lot more popular.

I don't see how the low rating is a good thing. There are more white players in the final now than in years. I guess whatever is bad for the NBA is good in your guys' opinions. White basketball players should just take a hike huh? Personally I'm a big fan of basketball. I think it's a great game and I'm excited about the international level of play.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Other than football, the TV ratings of all sports are bad these days. NASCAR may be another exception, I don't know what its ratings are. And even the NFL may have peaked with the rising disgust (finally) at the continual criminal antics of theaffletes that dominate the league.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
I dont know about you guys but I almost never watch an Nba game. why should I? only time I watch is when the mavericks play because I love Nowitzki. I just cant cheer for a black player. Football I do watch even though it is mostly black too. Not much to root for there either.

Angelcynn

Guru
whiteathlete, what about the recent increase of white representation in the NBA, has that not interested you at all? And like nevada mentioned about the increasing talent internationaly from the likes of Argentina, Spain, Italy and Eastern Europe, surely that makes it more interesting to watch? It's done the job for me. I foresee Josh Heytvelt becoming a major star in the NBA, which I think would have a big positive influence on the NBA and young white Americans who will have a massive role model to follow after years of waiting.

cslewis1

Guru
I guess whatever is bad for the NBA is good in your guys' opinions.That's what I've said time and again. The NBA is BAD for our culture, irregardless of a couple more whites playing nowadays.
If Whites are more prevalent in Rap Music, does that make it a good thing? Doubtfully, Rap is anti-white, as is the NBA now.
nevada said:
White basketball players should just take a hike huh?
Never once said that. Glad to see a few more whites involved. But again, read above. The culture of the league, is the problem. What's bad for the NBA is a good thing.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Maybe I'll watch when all three or four of those great white guys they let play can foul with impunity like the rest of the Negro stars, or when they get mauled going to the basket and actually get a foul call on the Negro third-stringer guarding them. I'll watch when the NBA isn't handing trophies to guys like Dwayne Wade after doing all they can to make sure they win it. Sometimes you wonder why they even play the damn games.

white is right

Hall of Famer
There is a reason why TNT and ESPN carry the playoffs. It isn't because they have the ability to outbid a major network. When your hardcore fan base are "working class" blacks that's not the demographics that sponsors like....
smiley36.gif

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I'm with cslewis. We need to root for the NBA's demise. Sure there might be some whites playing and I support them for doing so, but the league itself along with MTV, BET, NFL, are a blight on America and the sooner they implode, the better. All of the afforementioned groups support the (c)rap and hip-hop gangster culture that we are working hard to fight against. Seeing that the NBA ratings are low brings a smile to my face

KG2422

Mentor
I see the NBA as no worse than the NFL. At least there are no forbidden positions for whites in the NBA. And blacks have been shown up in the last three international competitions. Whites have won the last three MVPs in a row. There are relatively few wigger types who are promient in the league and the situation has improved over the past ten years. That being said, blacks receive a huge advantage from the officiating. But like I said, the NBA is in at least as good a situation as the NFL.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Mixed feelings on this..I love to watch it because I am a sports fan but don't mind the low ratings..hope it forces some needed changes.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
BlackPower said:
NBA>Nascar for damn sure

Talk about stereotypes.
smiley36.gif

Is there even a NASCAR forum on this site? Just a guess, but I'd bet there is a greater percentage of blacks who worship everything NBA than there are whites who even follow NASCAR.

How about this equation:

MMA &gt;</font>NBA</font>Edited by: White Shogun

PitBull

Guru
The real question is are there more tatoos on the ghetto boys than there are
decals on the cars. I think Black Impotence is voting for the homies.

cslewis1

Guru
KG2422 said:
I see the NBA as no worse than the NFL. At least there are no forbidden positions for whites in the NBA.
I agree with that indeed. I just love football and am not quite ready to call it in like I have on the NBA yet. I keep hoping, praying(?) that football will recover from its incredible insanity of rejecting its fan base, middle class, white Americans who played a bit in high school and also happen to have spending power. The prime audience for every entertainment venue.
But I probably have two more years left to give it a shot. Each year, I lose more interest and it will take more than a Mike Furrey catching 98 balls to bring me back. Until we see legit white rbs and cbs in the NFL AND in college, I know it's a sham.

THe NFL kind of reminds me of my support of George W Bush. I was able to give him the benefit of the doubt, way tooooo long. But his amnesty proposal was when I realized enough is enough. That guy has gone insance and totally forgotten who elected him. The NFL is the exact same thing. They've forgotten who've supported them for all these years and now they're trying to stick it to us.
Two more years, and that's it for me.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
cslewis1 said:
KG2422 said:
I see the NBA as no worse than the NFL. At least there are no forbidden positions for whites in the NBA.
I agree with that indeed. I just love football and am not quite ready to call it in like I have on the NBA yet. I keep hoping, praying(?) that football will recover from its incredible insanity of rejecting its fan base, middle class, white Americans who played a bit in high school and also happen to have spending power. The prime audience for every entertainment venue.
But I probably have two more years left to give it a shot. Each year, I lose more interest and it will take more than a Mike Furrey catching 98 balls to bring me back. Until we see legit white rbs and cbs in the NFL AND in college, I know it's a sham.

THe NFL kind of reminds me of my support of George W Bush. I was able to give him the benefit of the doubt, way tooooo long. But his amnesty proposal was when I realized enough is enough. That guy has gone insance and totally forgotten who elected him. The NFL is the exact same thing. They've forgotten who've supported them for all these years and now they're trying to stick it to us.
Two more years, and that's it for me.

Good points, GW Bush = NFL as far as TIMES UP! You had your chance and blew it as far as I'm concerned.

Although I'm not offering any 2 year grace period (to either!)Edited by: jaxvid

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Similaries between NASCAR and the NBA

1) No point in watching until the last two minutes

2) Too much action happens off the clock (foul shots and caution flags)

3) Neither group fights very well

4) Too much distracting stuff written on players and cars

5) neither group obeys the speed limit when driving

6) stands full of hot white chicks and drunk rednecks

7) Biggest stars: LeBron and Junior both having disappointing seasons.

8) everyone has a foxy white wife

9) King James & King Richard

10) neither group speaks understandable English

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The ratings for the first two games of the series were less than 6 -- which means 94 percent of the country didn't watch. That's a pretty damning statement about the lack of popularity of the NBA. Maybe there's hope for the drunk white fans yet. Would the league even be able to stay in business without the non-stop hype machine of the corporate media (along with the disproportionate number of commercials featuring NBA players)?

This was the first season I didn't watch the NBA at all. By almost all accounts even from the Caste media the finals games were crap --low-scoring, poorly-played affairs. Bravo!

What, you mean that 94% of America wasn't watching LeBron James become the next Micheal Jordan? (what a joke that was)

Hype does not equal reality. Sory Nike. We know you want someone "electric" to promote your crappy sneakers, but come on.

The NBA is full of sloppy play and they pander too much to blacks. How long do you give the NBA if they keep on this tangent?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Michael Wilbon of PTI recently wrote:

"It was difficult to imagine during the delirium of the opening round thriller between Dallas and Golden State that the NBA playoffs would spiral into irrelevance. The only thing worse than the on-court product at the end of the championship series was the apathy to which it played. As proud as they were of reaching the Finals, and in the Spurs' case winning their fourth championship in nine seasons, even the partcipants knew they were involved in something only hard-core pro basketball fans could stomach. More than a few of them would peek to see who was listening, then say quietly something to the effect of, 'God, this is awful'. . .

"The public has turned thumbs down on the NBA, and the league's powers-that-be need to stop spinning the decline in popularity and find new ways to showcase the best athletes in the world." [sic]

Wilbon thinks merely changing the seeding system of the playoffs is what's needed, but the NBA's problems are much deeper-rooted than that. The so-called "best athletes in the world" have dragged down the sport because of their selfishness, lack of fundamentals and general poor play in most areas other than slam-dunking, and because of their gangsta-ism off the court.

cslewis1

Guru
Best athletes in the world? I am so sick of hearing that. It's simply a lie, said over and over again that it begins to seem true.
smiley7.gif

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
The bad ratings were because it was a bad series which most people were convinced the Spurs would easily win and because the Spurs have become boring with their low scoring wins and glove defense. Simply put The Suns were screwed by David Sterns stupid suspension of Amare Stotomyer and Boris Diaw. Especially when Duncan and Bowen had come off the bench after a hard foul in the previous game (read Steve Kerr's blog) Now Utah-Cleveland or Pheonix-Cleveland, that is a series I would watch!