Random x-mas gifts

Goldfinger

This is random but I just felt like starting this up because I know everyone gets an unusual gift every year. In my family, we do x-mas at midnight because no one can seem to wait until the morning. Anyway the strangest x-mas gift I got this year was a $50 gift certificate to Burger King. I don't even eat that sh*t. too damn random and unusual for me.
smiley36.gif
anyone else?

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Goldfinger said:
This is random but I just felt like starting this up because I know everyone gets an unusual gift every year. In my family, we do x-mas at midnight because no one can seem to wait until the morning. Anyway the strangest x-mas gift I got this year was a $50 gift certificate to Burger King. I don't even eat that sh*t. too damn random and unusual for me.
smiley36.gif
anyone else?

$50 for Burger King? That should keep you in Whoopers for a while. Of all the gift certificates you could give a guy like Home Depot, Borders, Dunhams etc, why Burger King? I would say that the gift was passed on from someone else but $50 bucks is a sizable amount.

white tornado

Mentor
That whold last me about two meals.
smiley36.gif

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
What's up with all the "X-mas"ing? It's Christmas! I guess the ACLU has infected this board too.
smiley5.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Col. I once felt the same way but then someone explained that X-mas is considered proper useage from a religious standpoint. see the following from Wikipedia:

"Xmas" and "X-mas" are common abbreviations of the word "Christmas". They are sometimes pronounced "eksmas", but they, and variants such as "Xtemass", originated as handwriting abbreviations for the pronunciation "Christmas". The "-mas" part came from the Anglo-Saxon for "festival", "religious event": Crīstesmæsse or Crīstemæsse.

The word "Christ" and its compounds, including "Christmas", have been abbreviated for at least the past 1,000 years, long before the modern "Xmas" was commonly used. "Christ" was often written as "XP" or "Xt"; there are references in the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle as far back as 1021 AD. This X and P arose as the uppercase forms of the Greek letters χ and ρ), used in ancient abbreviations for Χριστος (Greek for "Christ") (see Labarum), and are still widely seen in many Eastern Orthodox icons depicting Jesus Christ.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Thats great to know, jaxvid. Thanks for explaining that to me! I'm just afraid a lot of people who may not know that use it just to take Christ out Christmas. I guess with all the attacks by the ACLU and others on Christianity my radar is on high sensitivity right now.
smiley1.gif