Racial profiling of whites

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I came across this post on a blog about police misconduct. Check out the author's thoughts at the end.

Texas Penal Code 49.02. PUBLIC INTOXICATION. (a) A person commits an offense if the person appears in a public place while intoxicated to the degree that the person may endanger the person or another.

A bar is a public place. Now, the decision whether TABC should be wasting its time enforcing this law (or getting local cops to do it for them) is proabably a point we can both agree on.

My own take on the issue? It's a great way for police departments to pad their racial arrest stats. Arresting too many minorities? Go to a primarily white bar and find as many whites as you need.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That's exactly what Texas cops were doing, until the practice was recently "suspended":
Texas Stops Arresting Drunks in Bars
'Operation Last Call' program suspended after public outcry
World Net Daily | April 14 2006
After a series of stories in WorldNetDaily about cops go into bars to arrest drunks - some of whom are guests in hotels who don't plan to drive anywhere - Texas officials responsible for "Operation Last Call" have stopped the controversial practice in the state.
As WorldNetDaily reported, the Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission along with Irving police arrested some 30 people on charges of public intoxication on a weekend last month during a sweep of 36 area pubs.
The agency called it a proactive measure to slam the brakes on drunk driving, even though some of the suspects arrested at a hotel bar stressed they were registered to spend the night there and were not a danger to themselves or others.
Commission spokeswoman Carolyn Beck said yesterday the agency had "temporarily suspended" the program.
"We understand that everything has room for improvement, this included," she said, according to Reuters.
She told the news service most of those arrested in the sting operations had been "dangerously drunk" and might have tried to drive if agents had not arrested them.
The Texas Alcoholic Beverage Commission will conduct an internal investigation of Operation Last Call, and a committee of the state legislature is scheduled to hold a hearing on the program Monday.
The Houston Chronicle found that 1,740 people across Texas had been arrested for public intoxication in Operation Last Call.
"Your state sucks!" one woman being arrested in a sting shouted to authorities, as she was caught on camera by KXAS-TV, the local NBC affiliate in Fort Worth.
"Going to a bar is not an opportunity to go get drunk," TABC Capt. David Alexander told the station. "It's to have a good time but not to get drunk."
Regarding laws on public intoxication, Texas statutes say: "Public place" means any place to which the public or a substantial group of the public has access and includes, but is not limited to, streets, highways, and the common areas of schools, hospitals, apartment houses, office buildings, transport facilities, and shops.
As WorldNetDaily previously reported, similar programs have been taking place across the U.S., including Fairfax County, Va., where police have been going directly to bars to arrest people for public drunkenness.
Police target patrons who are suspected of having one too many, taking them outside to administer intoxication tests.
"[Officers] were talking to one of the guests, then physically pulled him off the barstool," said Richie Prisco, general manager at Champps bar. "They were really aggressive and nasty."
[url]http://www.propagandamatrix.com/articles/april2006/140406arr estingdrunks.htm[/url]

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Don,
I was aware of this operation, living in Texas, but the view that the purpose behind may have been to bump up the stats for the arrests of white people was new to me. It wouldn't surprise me at all if it wasn't one of the benefits they considered at the top levels of TABC when they put this operation together.

It would be interesting to find out the numbers of arrests by race. I assure you if it is determined that more minorities were arrested than whites, TABC is going to get flamed and people will likely be fired.

And it is quite ironic that TABC will be launching an internal investigation of "Operation Last Call," when operations of this type have to approved at the highest levels before any such operation can take place. They make it seem like the upper management of TABC didn't sign off on this before it went down.

KG2422

Mentor
It would be easy to target Whites. In Texas, Whites and Blacks frequent different bars for the most part.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
When they mention hotels and places like Irving, it sounds like it was aimed at whites, but maybe it was an "equal opportunity" sweep. I know I'm fed up with the regime's not-so-subtle policy of bringing back Prohibition through thousands of piecemeal lawscombined withscare propaganda by the media.

The legislative and judicial approval of DUI roadblocks over a decade ago was the key element in paving the way for today's surveillance state. Roadblocks have always been a mainstay of "guilty until proven innocent" dictatorships, and once they were established here, the dam was broken.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
I remember the road block legal cases of years ago, I could not believe they stood up to constitutional muster. But of course they don't, not according to the clear intent and wording. It was my first awakening to "compelling state interest" which is the rational to ignore every aspect of constitutional safeguards.

I wonder what goes through the Supreme Court members minds? can the constitution EVER limit government if whenever the state has a "compelling" interest it just goes ahead and ignores it. I know they don't care much but they have spent all their life as lawyers, there must besome residual respect for the written word, intent, and rule of law.

White warlord

Don Wassall said:
She told the news service most of those arrested in the sting operations had been "dangerously drunk" and might have tried to drive if agents had not arrested them.

Guys I think you where too caught up in the "what race they are" issue to read this one line for what it is worth...They bascially just stated that they just arrested "danerously drunk people" for a crime they where ABOUT to commit..WTF are the police in Texas now playing? pre-crime arrest now before the crimes actually take place...Edited by: White warlord

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Tennessee court says when police throw up a roadblock and say "papers, please", the only paper you have to show them is the Fourth Amendment: link

Tennessee Supreme Court Overturns ID Roadblocks
Tennessee Supreme Court finds an ID roadblock illegal because it was used to issue traffic tickets in the name of safety.

On Thursday, the Tennessee Supreme Court unanimously found the use of roadblocks to check identification papers, driving licenses and automobile registrations to be unconstitutional. The court struck down a Chattanooga Housing Authority (CHA) "residency" checkpoint at Poss Homes on 2409 Washington Street. The authority, which has its own police force, claimed the stops would protect residents from crime and illicit drug use by turning away non-residents.

CHA Police Officer Ralph Brown had stopped Jerry W. Hayes, Jr. at 6:30pm on August 13, 2002, asking him if he was a resident and if he had his papers. Hayes produces his driver's license which had been suspended because of an overdue fine. Brown also noticed unopened bottles of beer in the car and charged Hayes with possession of alcohol because, at the time, Hayes was just two months short of twenty-one.

The high court overturned Hayes' conviction because it did not believe, contrary to police claims, that the primary purpose of the checkpoint was safety. The evidence showed the roadblocks were successful instead at issuing expensive tickets.

"There are elements of subterfuge evident in the operation of this entry identification checkpoint," the court wrote. "If the checkpoint was being operated solely to establish a legitimate connection between the would-be entrant and the community, however, Officer Brown had no reason to 'also' demand the person's driver's license if he or she had already produced a Poss Homes identification badge... Because persons may legitimately drive vehicles belonging to others, however, a vehicle registration document is of questionable value in determining the identity of the driver. Proof of insurance is relevant to nothing other than determining compliance with the provisions of Tennessee Code Annotated chapter twelve."

The court saw no evidence that the checkpoint increased the safety of residents, nor that the crime was solely being conducted by "outsiders." Because the police had no list of residents or guests, there was no real way to tell from a driver's license whether any stopped individual belonged in the complex or not.

"In their zeal to preserve and protect, however, our police officers must respect the fundamental constitutional rights of those they are sworn to serve," the court concluded. "Entry identification checkpoints of the type used here result in the abrogation of one of those fundamental constitutional rights. Such checkpoints cannot, therefore, be countenanced, no matter how lofty their goals. The ends, in this case, simply do not justify the means."