Quinn vs Russell

Catch22

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=jc-quinn042507&pro v=yhoo&type=lgns[/url]

"He's a good player and you'd like to have him, but not where
people are talking about taking him," said an unnamed NFL offensive
coordinator. The coordinator said that any comparison of Quinn to
Russell is simply absurd.
"With Russell, you could have a prototype pocket guy who can
change everything you do. His arm is amazing, he's accurate and he's a
stud with that size," the coordinator said, referring to the fact that
Russell is 6-foot-5, 256 pounds.
<br style="font-style: italic;">
"Yeah, Quinn can get to the top of his game faster. It's just that the top may not be as good as where Russell can get."Jamarcus Russel is a full 26 pounds heavier and 2 inches taller than Brady Quinn. Wtf was Quinn thinking ever trying to play quarterback? Doesn't he know its better to be built like Culpepper than like Manning? Wait a minute. One of those two quarterbacks is actually good.

Notice how the Offensive Coordinator is 'unnamed'.

</span>

I am pro white and I am an LSU fan but even so I can be objective on Russell. He is overrated ! These insecure egotistical anouncers love him because he is huge and strong and can throw a mile but the truth is if LSU had Matt Flynn playing in the Florida game they would have won and the same for the Auburn game. My opinion is Russell will do ok in the NFL but he is not going to be a pro bowl type guy like they are projecting.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Good post, Catch 22. I would imagine that if one wanted to, he could find nearly the exact same languageused todrool over Culpepper in 1999as is found above to describe Russell. Especially "prototype" -- the Caste media really throws that term around loosely when describing black athletes they adore.

Russell is not nearly as fast as Culpepper. Moreover, Quinn runs a faster fourty then does Russell.

Brady Quinn is 6'4" not 6'3" so Russell is actually only an inch taller then Brady. Why is his size such a big deal here? ONE INCH. Why not praise Brady for his size a little? Strange.

Gi-15

Mentor
yeah, Quinn is really a incredible athlete, I mean, this guy is ripped! lol

btw Russel is 6'6'', and about 40 lbs heavier than quinn. And about 100% of this weight is fat lol.

Catch22

Gi-15 said:

btw Russel is 6'6'', and about 40 lbs heavier than quinn. And about 100% of this weight is fat lol.

According to the article I was quoting, Russell is 6'5" and 256 lbs

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Gi-15 said:

Yep, there's absolutely no way Quinn can begin to compare athletically to a ripped specimen like Russell.

773218_240X320.jpg

brady1.jpg

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Lions GM Matt Millen is saying he will take either Jamarcus or Calvin Johnson if they are available even though the Lions have no need at either positon. If they don't trade down they will likely get Johnson which will mean the end of Mike Furrey's career.

Deus Vult

Mentor
Sean Carlisle said:
I am pro white and I am an LSU fan but even so I can be objective on Russell. He is overrated!... My opinion is Russell will do ok in the NFL but he is not going to be a pro bowl type guy like they are projecting.

Ditto! I've watched nearly every LSU game over the entire time DuhMarcus played. It is truly astounding that pro guys think he may be something special, an NFL calibre QB, no less. Maybe, as Louisiana based NFL scout Chris Landry says, Russell could play TE? Can he block or catch? If not, I don't see an NFL future for him.

BTW, Sean, don't you know all it takes to get to a pro bowl is a gimme from one of your homeys, a la Vince Young? (especially if you are a black QB)

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Quinn got treated like crap.It is getting to the point that almost any white college football player,will fall deep into the draft simply because of stereotypes & the color of his skin! Quinn will show all of these lazy,fat overpaid sportswriters,scouts and coaches who think that they have if all figured out.How many years have they talked crap about Peyton Manning.They still find it hard to give him credit despite breaking records,winning MVP Awards,and a Super Bowl Victory.The NFL is just getting almost unbearable.They just need to treat these kids better.
smiley7.gif

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Quinn now has a chip on his shoulder and a huge mammoth LT in Joe Thomas to protect him for the next 10 years.

bigunreal

Mentor
The jock-sniffing talking heads were actually using Brady Quinn's tremendous physique against him, saying he was "too muscular." Huh? These are the same idiots who literally drool over the physiques of every black player, even when they are less than impressive (which is usually the case). On the other hand, DeMarucus Russell's obvious weight problem didn't seem to bother these same jock-sniffers. It was bad enough when the league started introducing these obese black lineman, which every team now features, but it's getting ridiculous when the black QBs are either becoming fat after being in the league a few years (McNabb, Culpepper, Leftwich) or coming into the league already overweight (Russell). Despite the visible fat on them, these blacks are still extolled as great "affletes." On the other hand, all whites much be in prime shape, and still are passed over in favor of fat, lazy black competitors. Affirmative action is clearly just as much a part of the NFL as it is with any other business.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I'm not so sure that I agree with posters on this site that Brady Quinn is absolutely better than Russell. I thought Russell outplayed Quinn in the Bowl game. I thought it was more than just Notre Dame having a lesser defense. Russell also shows pretty good accuracy. Quinn only possesses a slight advantage in this area IMO. Jemarcus Russell also keeps his composure well in the pocket where he is quite smooth.

I don't look at the Culpepper comparison as a knock. Culpepper is a decent QB he had one great season and one good one and the rest of his season's were average. Culpepper is suffering now because of his bad knee injury effecting his ability to roll out of the pocket well.

I think for the most part the talent evaluation is pretty fair at QB. It is only unfair if it is a white scrambler with limited size that is being evaluated. If Troy Smith were white he would have probably gone undrafted. If Zebransky were black he would have probably been a 4th or 5th rounder. If Doug Flutie were black he would have kept his starting job longer and not been pulled for stinker Rob Johnson. Jeff Garcia would be looked at more highly also if he were black. Matt Jones who is very big being switched from QB had more to do with his shoulder injury and a limited ability at QB. He had much more upside as a WR where unfortunately he is now being screwed. Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Bart

Hall of Famer
bigunreal said:
The jock-sniffing talking heads were actually using Brady Quinn's tremendous physique against him, saying he was "too muscular." Huh? .

Wow! Can they get any more pathetic? Probably. They will tell us that a QB with a high Wonderlic score is too cerebral and analytical. A prospect who testsas poorly asVince Young would be a far better choice because he'd rely on his greater naturalability and instinct.

Catch22

ToughJ.Riggins said:
I'm not so sure that I agree with posters on this site that Brady Quinn is absolutely better than Russell. I thought Russell outplayed Quinn in the Bowl game. I thought it was more than just Notre Dame having a lesser defense. Russell also shows pretty good accuracy. Quinn only possesses a slight advantage in this area IMO. Jemarcus Russell also keeps his composure well in the pocket where he is quite smooth.

I don't look at the Culpepper comparison as a knock. Culpepper is a decent QB he had one great season and one good one and the rest of his season's were average. Culpepper is suffering now because of his bad knee injury effecting his ability to roll out of the pocket well.

I think for the most part the talent evaluation is pretty fair at QB. It is only unfair if it is a white scrambler with limited size that is being evaluated. If Troy Smith were white he would have probably gone undrafted. If Zebransky were black he would have probably been a 4th or 5th rounder. If Doug Flutie were black he would have kept his starting job longer and not been pulled for stinker Rob Johnson. Jeff Garcia would be looked at more highly also if he were black. Matt Jones who is very big being switched from QB had more to do with his shoulder injury and a limited ability at QB. He had much more upside as a WR where unfortunately he is now being screwed.

Every pass I saw Russell complete for decent yardage was to a receiver who was not being closely covered. That being said, I also watched Ron Jaworskies accuracy breakdown during the draft. He actually implied that it was accuracy and not arm strength that was Russells best attribute. Now either this ex-NFL QB is blowing smoke or I don't know anything about football myself.

Detroit Lions

Catch22 said:
Every pass I saw Russell complete for decent yardage was to a receiver who was not being closely covered. That being said, I also watched Ron Jaworskies accuracy breakdown during the draft. He actually implied that it was accuracy and not arm strength that was Russells best attribute. Now either this ex-NFL QB is blowing smoke or I don't know anything about football myself.

He had the 3rd highest QB rating, and the 4th highest completion percentage in the nation.I think when you're that accurate, it's hard for your passing efficiency to be overshadowed by any other attribute, arm strength included.

Russell compiled those numbers usually against weaker competition. In larger games he failed to deliver many times despite being surrounded by a superior supporting cast compared to what Quinn had to work with.

The one significant game everyone loves to point to as evidence that Russell is superior to Quinn is the bowl game. While it is true Russell performed significantly better, it was again against lesser competition. People conveniently forget that Notre Dame's pass defense was about 70th in the nation while LSU's was one of the best.

How about the fumblesRusell had at practice? This article series from Comcast called Quinn "rusty" talked about how "impressed" the practice squad was with Russell. And then, at the very bottom, in a short blurb, it talks of Rusell making bigger mistakes then a "shaky" ball from the"rusty" Quinn. What rediculous media propaganda! Nike must need the JaMarcus jive sneaker to sell next year.

Detroit Lions: Arm strength is almost totally irrelevant at QB, unless it is being used for "athletic worship." How often does someone get open for a 70 yard pass in the NFL unless someone SERIOUSLY screwed up thier coverage? It's stupidly dangerous to throw long balls like that because it is very easy to intercept due to the hangtime.

There are two ways to measure Rusell objectively: Can he pass well from the pocket, and can he avoid injury from his running strategy.

He obviously can pass, but can he do so with NFL caliber defenses rushing him, and with the protection of Oakland's offensive line? I would say he will struggle for the time to make good decisions and have a lot of incompletions or interceptions because of this. Either that or he will be sacked often.

Can he survive the punishment of being a part time running back or will he end up like Vick, Culpepper, and McNabb, injured year in and out?. McNabb does with one of the better lines in the NFL. I don't exactly see him lighting up the running game like St. Vick either, he seems more like a fat McNabb with an awesome 40 time of 4.83. For comparison, McNabb had a 4.45in the 40 in his prime.

In short, Rusell may be a decent QB, but he will not get much of a chance to succeed in Oakland. My money is on Quinn being someone we will be talking about in the next few years, and we will be mentioning Rusell as "that crippled guy from Oakland".

Detroit Lions

InfamousOne said:
How about the fumblesRusell had at practice? This article series from Comcast called Quinn "rusty" talked about how "impressed" the practice squad was with Russell. And then, at the very bottom, in a short blurb, it talks of Rusell making bigger mistakes then a "shaky" ball from the"rusty" Quinn. What rediculous media propaganda! Nike must need the JaMarcus jive sneaker to sell next year.

Detroit Lions: Arm strength is almost totally irrelevant at QB, unless it is being used for "athletic worship." How often does someone get open for a 70 yard pass in the NFL unless someone SERIOUSLY screwed up thier coverage? It's stupidly dangerous to throw long balls like that because it is very easy to intercept due to the hangtime.

There are two ways to measure Rusell objectively: Can he pass well from the pocket, and can he avoid injury from his running strategy.

He obviously can pass, but can he do so with NFL caliber defenses rushing him, and with the protection of Oakland's offensive line? I would say he will struggle for the time to make good decisions and have a lot of incompletions or interceptions because of this. Either that or he will be sacked often.

Can he survive the punishment of being a part time running back or will he end up like Vick, Culpepper, and McNabb, injured year in and out?. McNabb does with one of the better lines in the NFL. I don't exactly see him lighting up the running game like St. Vick either, he seems more like a fat McNabb with an awesome 40 time of 4.83. For comparison, McNabb had a 4.45in the 40 in his prime.

In short, Rusell may be a decent QB, but he will not get much of a chance to succeed in Oakland. My money is on Quinn being someone we will be talking about in the next few years, and we will be mentioning Rusell as "that crippled guy from Oakland".

I agreed with Ron Jaworski's contention that his accuracy was his greater attribute of the two. However, I don't dismiss the importance of arm strength. You need a strong arm to thread needles, throw across your body (when necessary, of course), and throw on the move.The ability to do these things helped contribute to his overall passing efficiency and completion percentage.

Also, he's a pocket passer. He'snever been a dual threat. Quinn has a lot more rushes than he does.All thatall being said, I agree thatOakland sucks, and that he's screwed.But part of being the number one pick is you get an obscene amount of money to go to a crappy team. You gotta take the good with the bad.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Russell, just like Vince Young the year before, made a huge leap to the top of draft boards based on his bowl game performance. Before that he was far from a consensus pick as the top quarterback in college football in 2006 and a surefire top draft pick. I can't remember this phenomenon happening with a white quarterback.

Don Wassall said:
Russell, just like Vince Young the year before, made a huge leap to the top of draft boards based on his bowl game performance.  Before that he was far from a consensus pick as the top quarterback in college football in 2006 and a surefire top draft pick.  I can't remember this phenomenon happening with a white quarterback.  &lt;!-- Message ''"" --&gt;

There used to be a saying concerning drafting football players of, "Never downgrade a player because of a bowl game." This meant, if a player has had a strong career and has the attributes for sucess, you don't pass him up because of one bad game. This also meant that one good game should not obscure the fact that a player may be mostly inconsistent and erratic.

I remember the then-St. Louis Cardinals drafting a RB from Texas A&M in the 1st round in 1970 named Larry Stegent. Stegent had often been hurt during his college career, but was healthy for the post-season all star games in played well in several of them. The Cardinals made him the 9th pick in the 1st round. Stegent hurt a knee in training camp, and stayed around for a few years but appeared in only a few games.

I think both Jamarcus Russell & Brady Quinn are gonna be busts......Jamarcus isn't as good as Culpepper, he's more like a bigger version of Kyle Boller...Big powerful arm but dumb as a rock...Can't read a defense....

Brady Quinn's ball float past 30yds....How's that gonna work in CLEVELAND where their stadium gets wirlwinds....

Jay Cutler in last years draft will prove to be better than Vince Young or MAtt Leinart & better than Russell or Quinn...

& next yrs QB if he can stay healthy BRIAN BROHM will be better than last yrs or this yrs draft & will be the next great quarterback of the next 10yrs along will Peyton Manning & Tom Brady...

guest301

Hall of Famer
I officially became a Cleveland Brown fan the day they drafted Thomas and Quinn in the first round. I live about a hour from the stadium so I might as well get on board. I think Quinn will end up being the best QB taking in this draft and I think the kid from BYU, John Beck will end up being a better QB than Jamarcus. Time will tell.