Povetkin Chambers Jan. 26 Berlin

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Good description of the fight here:

fightnews

Povetkin said after the fight he had the flu, but he still cruised to a dominant decision win over Chambers.

G

Must have been luck that I called this last year, after all, I'm a black jewish troll who thinks white guys can't fight.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
nevada said:
Must have been luck that I called this last year, after all, I'm a black jewish troll who thinks white guys can't fight.

Sun shines on every dog's ass once in a while, don't it?

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Not a hard fight to predict if you remember the old truism: "never bet on the black guy."
smiley36.gif

Maple Leaf

Mentor
No surprise, no suspense, and no drama in this fight. It turned out not just as I predicted but in the manner in which I predicted. Good work Povetkin and another win for my prediction ledger which now stands at 8-1. That 8-1 means 8 wins for our guys over them!Edited by: Maple Leaf

white is right

Hall of Famer
From what I saw of the fight it looked like Chambers had the skill advantage early, but the strength of the naturally larger Poetvekin took over in the second half of the fight. Buddy Mcgirt seemed to do a Teddy Atlas on Chambers at the end of the sixth round, but Chambers wasn't willing to go for it. I just wish Alexander waited a while for Klitschko it looks like he has too many holes in his game to beat Wlad.

G

I saw Povetkin fight for the first time. It was a good win, but not a great win. You would think a fighter of his experience would have mastered the jab. He has not. He needs to improve that jab to even go past six rounds with Wlad. I was impressed with his conditioning and always throwing punches. He does leave himself open a little too much and his has limited head movement. He has to improve in these areas. If he fights a blk fighter like Lemon Brewster who has punching power it could be lights out.

It was a good stepping stone for him. He could also lose about five more pounds from what I can tell. The White dominence continues!

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I hope all you guys boasting about picking the winner of this fight at least made some money on it.
smiley36.gif

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I agree with all the analysis here. Povetkin controlled the fight and is a very good fighter. But he is undersized and is about to fight the one fighter he doesn't have much of a chance against -- Wlad the Impaler.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Liverlips said:
I agree with all the analysis here. Povetkin controlled the fight and is a very good fighter. But he is undersized and is about to fight the one fighter he doesn't have much of a chance against -- Wlad the Impaler.

Povetkin isn't small, he's a normal sized heavyweight. But this is why I suggested Chambers is better suited as a cruiserweight. The trouble all of the heavyweights have is Klitschko is unusually big and unusually good.

JD074

Master
Well, Sasha said he had the flu, so maybe that was part of the problem. During the early rounds, I was wondering why he wasn't more aggressive. Is Chambers' power backing him off a bit? Perhaps not. Michael Jordan was glorified for his "courageous" playoff performance while suffering the flu, so maybe we should cut him some slack. My honest opinion is that he's not particularly big, powerful, fast, or elusive. He has solid skills, solid hand speed, excellent conditioning (and if he had the flu, then his conditioning is even more impressive,) and a solid chin. He fought with the superior heart, aggression, and courage down the stretch. But one could make the argument that Chambers won the first four rounds (or at least three of them,) and that Chambers lost this fight as much as Povetkin won it- if not more so.

As for Wlad, well, Sasha is most definitely hittable, and Wlad hits... hard. I would not fault Sasha for backing out of this fight. Perhaps he can fight one more tough opponent while the winner of Klitschko/ Ibragimov fights Tony Thompson, the other mandatory challenger.

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
smiley20.gif
Excellent performance by Povetkin, especially when we consider they almost decided to postpone the fight because he had the flu.

I was very impressed with Sasha. Let's not forget, Eddie Chambers is a very skillful boxer. He's like a heavyweight Winky Wright, with the tightest defense in the division. Like Povetkin, he earned his way to the eliminator, he didn't have Don King as promoter. Chambers 30-0 record included wins over decent fighters like Calvin Brock.

Early in the fight, Povetkin had difficulty with Chambers defense-first approach and sharp counterpunches, but I was very impressed with how he finally broke through in the last three rounds and landed some good shots that staggered Chambers. Considering he had the flu, Sasha's stamina is amazing. Although he had been throwing an enormous number of punches throughout the fight, he seemed to be most active and aggressive in the late rounds.

This is a big win, over the best young African-American heavyweight. Povetkin deserves a lot of credit for what he's already accomplished in only 15 pro fights.

smiley32.gif
Edited by: JD1986

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
All these fights our guys won I didn't watch. The only one I did watch was the loss (assuming the Hatton fight was the one loss you mentioned). I guess I'll keep away from trying to watch any other fightsin the future.
smiley36.gif

Hockaday

Guru
Chambers "fought" the second half of the fights as if he'd made the decision around the fifth round to move down to cruiserweight so he went into survival mode.

The commentary was rank at times. Max and Co. kept yakking about how Chambers was "outclassing" Povetkin in the middle of the ring. Then Harold Lederman (I picture him as some short hairy guy with bad B.O.) started yiddering about how slow Povetkin was. To his credit, Max pointed out that Povetkin is in fact very quick with his punches. I kept looking for the "lunch pail" that the "blue collar" Povetkin brings with him to "outwork his opponents" but I never did spot it.

At the end of the fight Chamber's trainer started scolding him about "no more f'n basketball and swimmin'"
I don't know what that was about.

Decent win for Povetkin, but he is not ready for Klitchko.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Hockaday:

I didn't watch the fight on HBO so I never got to hear all of these "sore loser" comments by those stiffs. They are all so jealous its laughable. None of it should bother you in the least. The big white men from the east are here to stay and there isn't anything Max et al can do about it except get used to it.

Hockaday

Guru
Amen, Maple Leaf. They are here to stay and I am enjoying it very much. Russia might be my second favorite foreign country right now (after Canada).
smiley4.gif

G

I watched the fight and Max and Lennox Lewis were very complementry toward Sasha, so stop with the sore loser remarks Maple Leaf. Your analyisis has been spot on for the past several fights involving our white warriors but when you start pontificating about something that did not happean you lose crediability.

Regarding Povetkin's performance, I observed it to be workman like. If he really was ill with the flu that might explain it. I was expecting an exposive performance especially against a fighter who has no pop in in his fist. I guess I will hold ultiment judgement until his next fight against a respectible opponent. Until then I regard him as a B plus fighter.

Maple Leaf

Mentor
Kukulcan said:
I watched the fight and Max and Lennox Lewis were very complementry toward Sasha, so stop with the sore loser remarks Maple Leaf. Your analyisis has been spot on for the past several fights involving our white warriors but when you start pontificating about something that did not happean you lose crediability.

Like I said I hadn't watched the fight on HBO and I was commenting on Hockaday's comments.

Hockaday

Guru
They said what they said and I said what I said about it.

By the way, Kukulcan, why do you use the title of a Mayan diety for a screen name on this website?

G

Ahh, Mr Hockaday very perceptive. I use the name of Kukulcan becuase I am one quarter Mexican, of the Aztec/Mayan people. The rest is European i.e.; German, Irish and Spanish. I look like Jeff Garcia and I pass the 'eye test' according to Don. Would you be offended if I use 'SS' runes from the Nazi party instead?
smiley36.gif

Back on subject, Lewis and Max called the fight fair. Chambers was winning the first three rounds and to a degree was outclassing Sasha. I was getting angry at Sasha for not jabbing enough or effectively. I'm glad he won but his performance was not great. Wlad would destroy him. Lewis and Max heaved a load of compliments toward Sasha at the end of the fight and pretty much summed up his performance like I did. Sasha has a way to go. I suspect he needs at least two to three fights against respectible opponents.

What does Hockaday mean by the way? Sounds like a version of Huckaby.
smiley36.gif

Charles Martel

Hall of Famer
Kukulcan said:
Ahh, Mr Hockaday very perceptive. I use the name of Kukulcan becuase I am one quarter Mexican, of the Aztec/Mayan people.

I like Mexicans, both as boxers and as people. The women are sweet, beautiful and passionate. In boxing Mexican fighter don't run from their opponents the way most black fighters do, they show courage. They don't trash talk and behave childishly the way many negroes do.

The Mexican judge scored the fight 119-109 for Povetkin. I've never met a Mexican who hated white people, the way some blacks hate whites and most Jews hate white Gentiles. If Jerry Roth and Julie Lederman were two of the judges, Chambers would have been given the win.

Hockaday

Guru
Okay, Kuculcan. Hey, two of my very best boyhood friends had Mexican mothers. They both ended up marrying white women, and had kids. Hell, you might be one of them for all I know.

Hockaday is an English surname in my family tree about four generations back. One source says it is an Anglisized form of a French Norman name, Heochedieux or something like that. Another says it comes from special trading hollidays called Hock Days they had back in olden times of yore.

As for the fight commentary, Max and gang weren't all bad. "Rank" was a bit of a harsh word to use. I kind of like Max, and I know he tries to be fair, even though sometimes he can't help himself.

By the way, in the first few rounds I think Povetkin was getting to Chambers more than it appeared. Eddie looked like he was blocking most of Povetkins punches, but his gloves were so close to his face and head he was still absorbing some of their shock. They weren't clean punches, but they took a toll.

G

This is the greatest site where intelligent white men can converse and learn the from each other. No offense taken...Its great that I learned where your name came from. The fight I am looking most forward to is the fight between Joe C. Wells vs Bernard "i ain't gonna let no white boy beat me" Hopkins. I am hoping Joe gives him a beat down and at the end of the fight asks Hopkins, "how does it feel to be beaten by a white boy!"
smiley36.gif