Poor David Carr

bigunreal

Mentor
I really feel for David Carr. This kid, imho, has some of the best all-around raw talent of any QB I have ever seen. For some inexplicable reason, he has been denied any help since the Texans made him the #1 pick overall in the NFL draft. I thought things were finally looking up for Carr when Gary Kubiak arrived. It would be hard for things to be worse than they were under the horrendous regime of Dom Capers and Charlie Casserly. During the first half of this season, Carr was starting to thrive, grow in confidence and was among the NFL leaders in passing efficiency. Somehow, he has mysteriouly regressed again in recent weeks, finally hitting rock bottom yesterday against the Patriots. If you watch the Texans' games, you will be astounded to see how anemic their offensive scheme still is, and how truly terrible their offensive line still is (and it has been consistently awful since Carr arrived). Carr literally has no time to throw on most attempts, and even on the rare occasion when he does, he has become so timid and gun-shy from the enormous pounding he has taken weekly for several years, that he really does look to dump the ball off for very short gains. What has been done to this very talented kid is a crime. I hope he can go somewhere else and turn it around, but I really doubt it at this point. I don't think Houston will give him the starting job next season, and it is unlikely that any other team will give him a chance to start, either. At this point, he looks like a classic candidate for the white QB "bust" label that the media loves to tag high #1 draft picks with (think Cade McNown, Tim Couch, Ryan Leaf, etc.) Contrasting Carr's lack of protection with Mike/Michael Vick's is very illuminating. Vick has fantastic pass protection on virtually every play, and his team has drafted 3 WRs in the first round during his time there, yet he has put up woeful stats and struggles nearly every game. Carr has no protection and his team has drafted one WR in the first tound since he's been there. Aside from all this, David Carr is, by all accounts, a really nice guy. That counts for a lot with me. Despite all the obstacles against him, I wish him great success.

Well they can bench David Carr. But his replacement will not perform well either. I believe the Texans will bring in some other QB. But after a few games Carr will be the starter agin.

Bottom line, I know quite a few people from Texas and most of them believe that Carr is the man. I mean, how has this guy not been injured.

backrow

Hall of Famer
he has no o-line help whatsoever, and without Davis the running game wasn't nothing to write home about, but i gotta admit he makes some bonehead mistakes at times. i wish we could see him behind better o-line, surrounded by some real talent.