Peyton Hillis

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
According to Yahooligan/ White Rivals sports:
Aug 14 RB Peyton Hillis is in the final year of his contract. He is making $600,000 and is in line for a big payday if he repeats his 1,000-yard season of last year. The Browns want to sign him to an extension before he hits free agency.

My take: A fair contract (if he decides to sign early for guaranteed money) would be a contract slightly better than (mild head-case while at Marshall) Ahmad Bradshaw's I believe. Both were efficient impact players, but have to improve ball security this season. Hillis was about the ONLY good thing about the Browns' offense and was more of a team MVP than Bradshaw. Other than the left side of the line and some nice plays here and there from TEs Watson and Moore- the Browns had virtually nothing. Hillis was their workhorse and ran for 4.4 YPC which is very impressive in that rush defense stacked division. He also had to deal with a QB carousel.

Now here's a "spin" from Rotowire:

Aug 13 Hillis had five carries for 16 yards including a 3-yard touchdown run, and also added one reception for 8 yards in Cleveland's preseason opener Saturday night. Recommendation: It was a pretty good start for Hillis, who is hoping to build on his break-out 2010 performance this year. He was an out of nowhere workhorse for the Browns last year, but he faded down the stretch, so it will be interesting to see how he performs out of the gate in 2011.

My take: I suppose the fact that he played two of the best run defenses in the league (ie. Baltimore and than Pittsburgh) with a cracked rib to end the season had nothing to do with it? Hillis played well in his 3rd and 4th last games of the season. Typical spinning from the American CM sheeple brainwashing media.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
As long as he doesn't get injured, another 1,000 yard rushing season is in the bag for this upcoming season. Montario Hardesty is constantly injured and Brandon Jackson isn't a threat to Hillis. Another solid season out of Peyton will solidify his position as one of the best runningbacks in football.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer

dwid

Hall of Famer
I don't think it is that serious. Probably more of an attempt to keep people thinking he is "fragile", since they used the adjective "hobbles" for something so minor. However, Hillis has had some hamstring issues in the past so he is probably being extra cautious himself, no reason to risk it in preseason. There isn't any real competition for him at tailback.

"
In addition to Hillis, OLG Eric Steinbach had his back tighten, and SS T.J. Ward had a hamstring ailment.
"Today’s practice, (Eric) Steinbach’s back tightened up on him a little bit so we took him inside, just precautionary," Shurmur said, according to the club. "T.J. Ward felt his hamstring a little bit, again, precautionary there. Peyton Hillis, at the end of practice, felt his hamstring just a little bit.
"This is the time of year when you start to get some soft tissue injuries. I wouldn’t call those injuries yet; there was a lot of work that got done so it was just precautionary with T.J. and Peyton."

If this were the regular season he would be good to go. There is a difference between pain and real injury. I don't think many affletes know the difference though. However, I am worried about Steinbach . Notice how he didn't say the thing with Steinbach was precautionary. They had rookie 5th round pick Pinkston with the first team. They don't have enough depth to lose anyone. Pinkston was supposed to compete for the rg and rt spots, both were horrible last year.

JReb1

Mentor
Browns star running back Peyton Hillis(notes) is not practicing because of an injury.

Hillis rode the exercise bike Tuesday as his teammates worked out in preparation of Thursday night’s exhibition in Philadelphia. Hillis did not play in Cleveland’s preseason game on Friday because of a hamstring injury. Browns coach Pat Shurmur is expected to provide an update on Hillis following practice.

Hillis rushed for 1,177 yards in his first season for the Browns, who acquired him in a trade from Denver for quarterback Brady Quinn(notes). Hillis has become wildly popular with Cleveland fans, who helped vote him onto the cover of the Madden ’12 video game.

Montario Hardesty(notes) took the reps with the Browns’ first-team offense. He will be making his preseason debut against the Eagles after missing last season with a knee injury.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Aij8YFbC.sZY0hE2G9LuDFzsYNAF?slug=ap-browns-hillis

JReb1

Mentor
Back slowing Hillis down?: Browns RB Peyton Hillis didn't practice on Tuesday, riding a stationary bike on the sideline while Montario Hardesty picked up first-team reps. Head coach Pat Shurmur said Hillis is dealing with a sore back but didn't anticipate it being a big deal. Hillis has missed most of the last week when he hurt his hamstring. He didn't play in the Browns' preseason game against the Lions, and Shurmur wasn't overly committal on Hillis playing at Philadelphia on Thursday. "I’m assuming so, but I don’t know," Shurmur said. "Again, we’ll have to see how that works."
(Updated 08/23/2011)

dwid

Hall of Famer
Hopefully it won't be that bad, everything I have read has said he will most likely play.

"** Running back Peyton Hillis didn’t practice with a sore lower back. Coach Pat Shurmur said he thinks Hillis will play Thursday night in Philadelphia in the third preseason game."

" He has been relegated to the exercise bike as the Browns prepare to face the Philadelphia Eagles on Thursday night.However, it is expected that Hillis will play against the Eagles, despite a sore hamstring and back. Hopefully, this is a signal that neither of his injuries are that serious, because if they were, there would be no reason to play him in these last two preseason games. The Browns would be better off giving Hillis the time off to get healthy for the regular season opener against the Cincinnati Bengals on September 11."

The only thing that worries me is if Hardesty shows any kind of ability then it might cut into Peyton's carries. I wasn't worried before because I didn't think he would be that good but now after seeing fans get excited about guys like Mark Ingram who averaged 3.6 ypc and Ridley who was mediocre against 2nd and 3rd teamers it makes me wonder.

bigunreal

Mentor
Hillis absolutely has to toughen up here, and not miss any time. As has been noted, if Hardesty (or any other black RB on the face of the earth) shows anything whatsoever, the DWFs will rally behind him and demand he get playing time.

I would like to know how a big, powerful physical specimen like Hillis can be sidelined by seemingly minor things, but a tiny, chubby back like Ray Rice can handle far more touches without every getting dinged up.

Every time Hillis gets a "sore back" or tweaks his hamstring, it plays into the oft expressed notion that he is injury prone and must have a decreased workload. Really, look at the guy- he should be able to handle more touches than any RB in the league.

Hillis needs to stay strong and have another great season.

Riddlewire

Master
If this were college football, his career would now be officially over, and you all know it. Too many examples to list.

But this situation is going to depend on what's going on inside the mind of Pat Shurmur. Is he a jock-sniffing DWF? A Fisher DeBerry disciple?
His associations would seem to suggest that he's no friend of white skill players. His statements throughout training camp and preseason have been inconclusive. We're just going to have to wait this one out.

Whitepower

Guys I don't think you have to worry vecause Hillis became a star last season, and has one hell of a culf following in this league and across the country. So he will heal up, and continue to play like he did last year maybe better because their offense should be better this year. Hillis is going to have a good year because he will be the focal point of their offense again. He is too talented to lose his position as the starter. I maybe wishfully thinking however one of our guys has to catch a break sometime don't they?

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I think it's a good sign that they're holding him out as a precaution. If he hadn't become a star last year he probably would have to play with a sore hammy or sore back. I expect him to be durable again this year; I mean he was dragging cars around as part of his off-season conditioning routine, ala Mike Alstott. He needs to watch for players diving at his knees though.

dwid

Hall of Famer
Hillis absolutely has to toughen up here, and not miss any time. As has been noted, if Hardesty (or any other black RB on the face of the earth) shows anything whatsoever, the DWFs will rally behind him and demand he get playing time.

I would like to know how a big, powerful physical specimen like Hillis can be sidelined by seemingly minor things, but a tiny, chubby back like Ray Rice can handle far more touches without every getting dinged up.

Every time Hillis gets a "sore back" or tweaks his hamstring, it plays into the oft expressed notion that he is injury prone and must have a decreased workload. Really, look at the guy- he should be able to handle more touches than any RB in the league.

Hillis needs to stay strong and have another great season.
There were plenty of other backs that have sat out this preseason/practice due to stuff like this. I doubt it is his workload causing injury, the season hasn't even started yet. Its probably his strength and conditioning program. People pull stuff all the time, its probably just aggravating old injuries. I know last year he had a deep thigh bruise, which he originally got in college from an illegal hit, I don't know if last year was new or just reaggravating. He tore 3 inches of his hamstring when he landed upside down to catch that pass in 08. There were three things fractured in his back from another hit in college, someone launched into his back with their helmet. Guys like Ray Rice don't have multiple defenders trying to physically injure them (now its not just because he is White but since he is famous there are people looking to be THAT guy, like when Atwater laid out Okoye or whatever his name is). These injuries that he has had probably get aggravated at times. I hurt my back go years and it gets sore from time to time when doing physical activity, even though it is supposed to be fully healed there is scar tissue which is probably what is making his back and hamstring sore. I doubt it anything serious. Not to mention last season was the first time he had to carry the full load since high school, its hard to know how hard you can play for that long of a stretch.

Im certain if this were regular season he would play through it. No player is 100 percent after training camp starts, Ray Rice missed practice time last year due to bruising his knee against the Browns. Steven Jackson missed practice quite a bit because of a groin injury. Most big star athletes get to coast in practice as long as they are ready for a real game.

Son now that I think about it, it is better to just let him rest and be ready for the regular season if it is anything serious but it would be nice to see him out there for the 3rd preseason game. Arian Foster was in a similar situation, he hurt his hamstring on the 6th and missed the first game, but had 5 carries for 40+ yards in the 2nd preseason game, they said it was the same one that gave him problems his first year and they would be cautious, he looked fine. He said with something about knee injuries the only thing really worth worrying about, hamstring issues are a part of the game.

Hardesty won't make it for the entire year, this was his first week practicing after 5 knee injuries. There aren't any free agents out there that they could grab. Its not like Lendale White is going to come in and outperform anyone. Hillis has one thing in his favor, you have to be elite to look good in that offense/division. Mike Bell looked pretty good when he was with the Saints, at least his production, he was able to find the hole and run hard. Last year in the same offense as Hillis he looked like crap, barely worthy of being in the league. It might be a little easier this year now that Colt McCoy is in his 2nd season.

Last edited:

dwid

Hall of Famer
ran across this, sounds promising

"The Browns’ No. 1 receiver in 2010 has missed all of training camp up to this point, spending it on the sidelines in a cast, and then a walking boot. Although he is finally ready to start doing some actual running, there is no guarantee that Browns fans will see him get any action in the preseason. The smart thing to do would be to make sure that everything is fully healed before sending Massaquoi onto the field.But what will that do for his role in the team’s offense? This isn’t like running back Peyton Hillis’ situation, where his starting role is guaranteed once he returns from injury. This training camp has seen the emergence of second-round pick Greg Little, who has cemented his place in the Browns’ receiving corps."

http://dawgpounddaily.com/2011/08/2...assaquoi-currently-fit-in-the-browns-offense/

backrow

Hall of Famer
haha, so much for their long awaited Hardesty...

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer reports that Browns RB Brandon Jackson (turf toe) will be out "awhile."

Jackson is sporting a hard cast, an indication his turf toe is severe. Montario Hardesty showed nothing in Thursday's preseason game to suggest he's a viable backup for Peyton Hillis. The Browns will have a lot of problems if Hillis goes down in the near future. He's already battling a bad hamstring.

Source: Mary Kay Cabot on Twitter
Aug 26 - 4:05 PM

FootballDad

Hall of Famer
Here's a lighthearted story about Hillis getting to pass out advance copies of the new Madden game that he is on the cover of to his teammates and HC. Although it's just a game, I'm hoping that it might be a watershed moment in our fight against the caste system. If Hillis can really tear it up this year, combined with little gamer boys out there "worshipping" a white running back, Hillis might just single-handedly deal the system a sizable blow.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
At a FF draft this weekend I overheard some DWF's talking about Hillis in the typical way of the thoroughly brainwashed self hating whitey, the main point was about how Hillis is an obvious steroid abuser and can be expected to burn out soon because of it.

I hope it's not true of course, and he has always been a great runner, but he is extremely muscular, and I've been burned on this before (supporting white athletes that turn out to be cheating). I believe the majority of NFL players are juicing because the NFL is very lax in it's testing and the fans really don't care if they do (unlike many baseball fans).

If he gets busted for something it will really hurt the cause.

Anak

Mentor
[video=youtube;1uRXehwUDXQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uRXehwUDXQ[/video]

He did another one but it's not on youtube.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The "Hillis Jinx" continues. Not a single black running back who is on the same NFL team as Peyton Hillis can stay healthy. :biggrin:

Browns placed RB Brandon Jackson (turf toe) on injured reserve, ending his season. Jackson should be fully healed well before the season is over, but turf toe has a tendency to linger, which would have made leaving him on the active roster a risky proposition for the Browns. Montario Hardesty is locked in as Peyton Hillis' primary backup.

JReb1

Mentor
The Browns are $19 million under the salary cap and may next try to sign running back Peyton Hillis for more years. Hillis, who rushed for nearly 1,200 yards last season, is in the final year of his rookie contract and is scheduled to earn the league four-year minimum of $555,000.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...cbe6cbf3b808b9

backrow

Hall of Famer
how about that! (rw)

Team president Mike Holmgren said Friday the Browns are aggressively trying to lock up Peyton Hillis long term.

"We're trying like crazy to wrap him up for a long time," Holmgren said. "He's something, isn't he?" A high-dollar contract extension would go a long way toward stabilizing Hillis' value in Dynasty leagues.

Source: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Sep 9 - 11:27 AM

JReb1

Mentor
The Cleveland Browns are now trying to tackle Peyton Hillis(notes).
The team is in contract negotiations with Hillis on a long-term extension, the Browns’ latest attempt to secure one their young core players for the future.

Talks between the Browns and the running back’s agent have been going on quietly for some time, but team president Mike Holmgren confirmed the meetings Friday for the first time. Holmgren said the Browns are “trying like crazy†to sign the hard-charging Hillis, who rushed for nearly 1,200 yards last season.

“We’re always trying to keep all of our good young players,†Holmgren said through a spokesman.

Following practice, Hillis seemed confident the sides would reach an agreement, but didn’t know how soon.

“When the Browns want to extend me, they’ll extend me,†he said. “I’m going to do my part and play hard and do what I can do to make myself a better player.â€

Agent Kennard McGuire did not immediately return a phone message or email to the AP seeking comment.

Hillis appreciates the Browns wanting to keep him, but cautioned that talks are ongoing.

“It does mean a lot, but as the old saying goes, ‘it ain’t real unless it’s here or already’,†he said. “You still have to play like it’s your last play and you’re working for something.â€

The 25-year-old Hillis is in the final year of his rookie contract, which will pay him $600,000—he recently got a $45,000 bump from the new CBA—this season.

It’s not known what he’s seeking from the Browns, but there are two recent deals for running backs he may use to frame out his contract: the 5-year, $43 million ($21 million guaranteed) Carolina gave DeAngelo Williams(notes) and the 3-year, $21 million ($13.5 million guaranteed) contract Frank Gore(notes) signed with San Francisco.
Hillis is not yet in the same category as those backs, but he soon could be and the Browns have made signing core players a priority. They recently gave offensive lineman Joe Thomas(notes) a seven-year, $84 million deal and signed tight end Evan Moore(notes) to a two-year extension worth $3 million per season.

The Browns, who have roughly $16 million in salary cap room, are also working on an extension for defensive tackle Ahytyba Rubin, whose 82 tackles led all NFL linemen last season.

Rubin is grateful the Browns want to lock him up. However, he insists his focus is on facing the Cincinnati Bengals in Sunday’s opener.
“Basically I’ve just gotta go on and just do what I can do on the field, make sure I can produce out there and everything else handles itself,†Rubin said. “I love Cleveland. I’ve got friends and family here. This is where I want to be. I’ve just gotta let my agent and my play on the field handle itself.â€
Hillis hammered his way to 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns and into the hearts of Browns fans last season.

He was a relative unknown when Cleveland traded quarterback Brady Quinn(notes) to Denver for Hillis, who was a fullback with the Broncos. But after rookie Montario Hardesty(notes) sustained a season-ending injury in 2010, Hillis became the feature back and his smashmouth running style endeared him to Cleveland’s blue-collar base.

During the offseason, he won a fan vote that placed him on the cover of Madden 12, the popular video game.

This is the first time Hillis has been involved in a contract negotiation, and he promised not to let it become a distraction.

“You don’t try to get in the business side of things,†he said. “If you did that, you would get caught up in it. The thing about it is, when they want to extend me, they will. I’m looking at the positive light of it. You can’t look at it negatively, and hope everything works out.â€

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=AqCPYAcPcReKfPNLQ5opRv85nYcB?slug=ap-browns-hilliscontract

backrow

Hall of Famer
three new starters, too much of fancy pants silly BS instead of power runs and those starters being of sumo, offside prone variety!

rotoworld.com

Peyton Hillis rushed 17 times for 57 yards and caught six balls for 30 more yards in the Browns' Week 1 loss.

The holes just weren't there. Cleveland broke in three new starters on the offensive line Sunday (RT Oniel Cousins, LG Jason Pinkston, RG Shaun Laovao), and they struggled to create lanes against what won't be an especially strong Bengals run defense. Hillis dominated touches in the Browns' backfield, however, with Montario Hardesty receiving just five carries. Hillis is an every-down back and should rebound in Week 2 against Indianapolis.

Sep 11 - 5:38 PM

Riddlewire

Master
Well, here's my positive spin.

After two games last year, Hillis only had 76 rushing yards.
So he's already ahead of that pace.

Looks like a 1,500 yard season for Peyton!

Riddlewire

Master
Browns Make Huge Mistake Taking Ball Out of Peyton Hillis Hands

And one of the biggest reasons the Browns gave away this lead was because they went away from their star running back Peyton Hillis and the running game.

Looking back at the play-by-play statistics, after the Browns took the lead 17-13 in the third quarter the team handed the ball to Hillis a total of five times for six yards. In that same time period, backup running back Montario Hardesty had three rushes for six yards. With all due respect to the Browns’ coaching staff and head coach Pat Shurmur, running the ball eight times after taking the lead is unacceptable if you want to win in the NFL.

Sure, the team is implementing the West Coast Offense and wants to get young quarterback Colt McCoy comfortable with it, but there is no reason that a guy who rushed for 1,177 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2010 should only get 17 carries for 57 yards and zero touchdowns against the Bengals.

To better help you understand the importance of getting Hillis going to the Browns, here are some numbers from the Browns’ 2010 season. If you look at their five victories, Hillis averaged 23 rushes, 108.6 yards and 1.4 touchdowns in those games (116 rushes, 543 yards and seven touchdowns). In their 11 losses, he averaged 14 rushes, 57.6 yards and .36 touchdowns per game (154 rushes, 634 yards and four touchdowns). As you can tell, his numbers Sunday reflected those of the Browns 11 losses last season, and not their wins.

Now in no way does this mean the Browns need to get away from the establishing a passing game under Colt McCoy. But you cannot ignore the statistics and Hillis’ success from 2010, and when the numbers say more than 20 rushes put the team in a better position to win—you need to give the guy the ball.

While I completely agree with the "give Peyton the ball more" theme, that game was lost because they neglected to put an NFL offensive line on the field. That's all Holmgren's fault.
They could've run Peyton twice as much and I doubt he would have gotten much more yardage. If they don't get that fixed by game 2, the Browns, and Peyton, can kiss their season goodbye.