Peyton Hillis

snow

Mentor
Peyton said its instinctive, it just comes naturally, so I don't know how he would stop without it having somewhat of an effect on his performance. You can't think too much when you are out there running, you just have to go on your instincts.

Hillis may not last very long with the hurdling. He doesn't have any power in the air, is wide open for a knee injury, and is more prone to fumbling.Edited by: sport historian

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
sport historian said:
Hillis may not last very long with the hurdling. He doesn't have any power in the air, is wide open for a knee injury, and is more prone to fumbling.

You hit on my thinking here, sport historian. I don't mind him doing it every once in a while, but I think he does it too often and considering he's the only White starting RB in the NFL, I'm all for reducing risk in this case. The "wow factor" is cool I guess, but it doesn't make him a better RB, and it certainly is more likely to expose him to a dangerous hit.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
One good thing that happened today is that Peyton Hillis went over 1,100 yards
rushing (1129) and has 469 yards receiving. That gives him 1,598 yards
from scrimmage. I'd think 2 more games will see him break 1,800 YFS and over
500 yards receiving. I'd like to see Peyton get over 1,250 yards
rushing but the way the Browns are functioning right now doesn't make me
very confident of the latter happening.

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
Peyon wasn't his normal juggernaut self today, but I expect that to change next week.

FYI, I have to give (very rare) credit here. Ben Watson is a heck of an athlete AND has a formative IQ (...a rarity amongst the bruthas). At 6'3, 255 he benched 535 lbs (at UGA) & scored a 48 the Wonderlic. As far as athletic ability & intelligence (for a brutha), I'd put him in league with David Robinson (one of the few "affletes" I have a great deal of respect for).

backrow

Hall of Famer
Watson is also one of the few that are not afraid to go over the middle and hold on to the ball!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
Peyon wasn't his normal juggernaut self today, but I expect that to change next week.

in the brief period i had to watch the Browns play today, Hillis looked to me like he was running tight. he appeared to be so focused on protecting the ball, that he wasn't running with his usual aggressiveness and explosion. hopefully, he'll get the kinks worked out soon and find that crucial balance in order for him to continue being a dominant runner without simultaneously being too loose with the ball.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I was so happy to see the quarter century drought on white tailbacks rushing for 1,000 yards end- and wish I could have been here to post last Sunday. What better player to do it than Hillis. Hillis is probably the 4th most talented back in the entire league behind Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson and Jamal Charles! And Hillis is the best power running back!

And just think how this thread started:
backrow: Peyton pulled his hamstring and is out at the moment, if he doesn't get back soon enough he might have problems making the team, with Sapp and now Pittman seemingly locked as fullbacks.

Leonardfan: I have been reading that Hillis has been impressive. I am hoping he has a shot. He is already more versatile than any other FB on the roster. The Broncos might want to give Cutler another receiving option out of the backfield.

And the third post on Don's dream ended up being the situation that came true!
Don Wassall: Mike Shanahan is well-known for playing musical chairs at running back. . . so, I have a dream. I dream that Selvin Young is too small and lacks the durability to be an every down back. I dream that rookie Ryan Torrain is found lacking in running ability and in picking up the offense. I dream that 33 year old Michael Pittman is washed up. I dream that little Andre Hall is never considered as feature back material.

I have a dream. . . that Shanahan is forced to turn to a rookie "fullback," one who is 240 pounds with 4.6 speed and who is an excellent runner, receiver and blocker. I have a dream that this rookie "shocks the world" by excelling in the Broncos one-cut run-blocking scheme and rolls up big yards as the team's starting tailback.

I can dream, can't I?

My dream came true in 2008, but really came to fruition in 2010. I don't think a single one of us foresaw a 1,200 yard rushing season, plus significant receiving yards, in the cards for Hillis this year as he seemed destined to be the third back at best behind Hardesty and Harrison.

The downside is all that Hillis had to go through to get his shots, and how even now his position as the workhorse featured runner is not guaranteed to last beyond this season, if the oft-injured Hardesty is healthy next year, or if Mike Holmgren drafts or signs another back. The upside is that Hillis has achieved a great victory with many repercussions to be felt for a long time. Many black supremacist, white-haters smugly assumed there would never be another thousand yard White rusher. Hillis has the ability and strength of character to smash deeply held and revered stereotypes, which should help keep lots of pressure on the rigidly enforced Caste System as well as inspire untold numbers of White kids to become professional running backs rather than rugby players or baseball players.

Don Wassall said:
ToughJ.Riggins said:
I was so happy to see the quarter century drought on white tailbacks rushing for 1,000 yards end- and wish I could have been here to post last Sunday. What better player to do it than Hillis. Hillis is probably the 4th most talented back in the entire league behind Chris Johnson, Adrian Peterson and Jamal Charles! And Hillis is the best power running back! And just think how this thread started: backrow: Peyton pulled his hamstring and is out at the moment, if he doesn't get back soon enough he might have problems making the team, with Sapp and now Pittman seemingly locked as fullbacks. Leonardfan: I have been reading that Hillis has been impressive. I am hoping he has a shot. He is already more versatile than any other FB on the roster. The Broncos might want to give Cutler another receiving option out of the backfield. And the third post on Don's dream ended up being the situation that came true! Don Wassall: Mike Shanahan is well-known for playing musical chairs at running back. . . so, I have a dream. I dream that Selvin Young is too small and lacks the durability to be an every down back. I dream that rookie Ryan Torrain is found lacking in running ability and in picking up the offense. I dream that 33 year old Michael Pittman is washed up. I dream that little Andre Hall is never considered as feature back material. I have a dream. . . that Shanahan is forced to turn to a rookie "fullback," one who is 240 pounds with 4.6 speed and who is an excellent runner, receiver and blocker. I have a dream that this rookie "shocks the world" by excelling in the Broncos one-cut run-blocking scheme and rolls up big yards as the team's starting tailback. I can dream, can't I?
<div></div>
<div></div>
<div> </div>
<div>My dream came true in 2008, but really came to fruition in 2010.  I don't think a single one of us foresaw a 1,200 yard rushing season, plus significant receiving yards, in the cards for Hillis this year as he seemed destined to be the third back at best behind Hardesty and Harrison.  </div>
<div> </div>
<div>The downside is all that Hillis had to go through to get his shots, and how even now his position as the workhorse featured runner is not guaranteed to last beyond this season, if the oft-injured Hardesty is healthy next year, or if Mike Holmgren drafts or signs another back.  The upside is that Hillis has achieved a great victory with many repercussions to be felt for a long time.  Many black supremacist, white-haters smugly assumed there would never be another thousand yard White rusher.  Hillis has the ability and strength of character to smash deeply held and revered stereotypes, which should help keep lots of pressure on the rigidly enforced Caste System as well as inspire untold numbers of White kids to become professional running backs rather than rugby players or baseball players. </div>

In the 1990 book, "The Pro Football Chronicle," it was written that Craig James was the last white RB to gain a thousand yards. The authors meant last as in it would never happen again.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer
DixieDestroyer said:
FYI, I have to give (very rare) credit here. Ben Watson is a heck of an athlete AND has a formative IQ (...a rarity amongst the bruthas). At 6'3, 255 he benched 535 lbs (at UGA) & scored a 48 the Wonderlic. As far as athletic ability & intelligence (for a brutha), I'd put him in league with David Robinson (one of the few "affletes" I have a great deal of respect for).

While on the Patriots, Watson was possibly the worst starting tight end in football. Drops, bad routes, penalties, terrible production, etc. He was the primary reason that current Saints TE David Thomas was never able to play during his time in New England.

Inexplicably, Watson has been terrific in Cleveland this season. Watson, Evan Moore, and Peyton Hillis are quite literally the only consistent members of the Browns passing game.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
Yeah, it does seem like Hillis is not getting the amount of carries that other guys like Ray Rice, MJD, Jonathan Stewart (healthy now) and Michael Turner are getting.

I find this to be suspicious. Some of the blacks that aren't getting much carries have proven to suck like Cadillac Williams and Beanie Wells.. a huge joke! I don't totally know the situation with Miami's Ronny Brown, but he isn't getting much carries either. And, Ricky William's is looking fat.

No way in hell is running back "some kind of black man's position." A lot of blacks are elevated simply because they go to programs like Ohio State and USC.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Yeah a guy like Ron Dayne of Wisconsin was a big time bust. He was mostly a product of his college system. I predict John Clay will be drafted much higher than he should too. Joe McKnight and Beanie Wells didn't do anything a number of whites couldn't have done if given the same opportunities to play for USC and Ohio State. RB is NOT a black man's position, it's a quota position.

It might actually be easier for us to prove discrimination at RB, b/c once a guy is in the game his touches aren't affected the same way a white WRs touches are by complaining from guys like T Yo and Brandon Marshall to their QB. Also white deep threats are moved to the slot, where the worst that can happen to a white speedster is using Woodhead like Thomas Jones and BJGE like Jamal Charles which would be backwards.

It was obvious that Hillis was outperforming Harrison this year. And Woodhead's efficiency to fans with intelligence is right there in the statistics. Before last game Woody was LEADING THE ENTIRE LEAGUE in yards per touch, before Charles passed him this week.

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
As far as black guys like DeAngelo Williams, Jerious Norwood, Frank Gore, Clinton Portis, LenWhale "NOT" White (etc) getting hurt, plus black rookies like Tate and Hardesty, that makes the stable of black RBs even thinner. Also, Reggie Bush broke his leg and missed several weeks.

Even with an epidemic of bad tackling, there aren't enough excellent black backs to fill NFL rosters with. I think we can expose the Caste System!

Edited by: Deadlift

JReb1

Mentor
I just hope the Browns sign Hillis to a big money extension so we'll know he's going to be their RB of the future and not get McDanieled again should Manginni be let go...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The caption to the picture of Hillis accompanying this article reads: "Running back Peyton Hillis is expected to be the Browns' feature [back] for years to come, if health or contract issues don't sidetrack him."

<H1 ="featured_line entry-title"></H1>
<H1 ="featured_line entry-title">Hillis' play bodes well for Browns' future</H1>
<DIV ="author vcard">By Steve Doerschuk
<DIV ="source-org vcard">CantonRep.com staff writer
<DIV title=2010-12-21T17:36:36Z ="tease_timestamp published">Posted Dec 21, 2010 @ 05:36 PM
<DIV title=2010-12-21T17:36:36Z ="tease_timestamp published">
<DIV ="entry-">

Suppose you were looking for a running back to set a tone for your offense.

You could have Peyton Hillis or Ray Rice. Whom would you choose?

Four months ago, the question would have been an absolute joke.

As Hillis' and Rice's teams prepare to duke it out Sunday, it's a legitimate debate.

Hillis came out of Arkansas as a seventh-round pick in 2008. The Ravens plucked Rice out of Rutgers with a Round 2 pick the same year.

In Hillis' first two years with the Broncos, he ran 88 times for 420 yards and caught 19 passes for 236 yards. He scored seven touchdowns and was in on nine special teams tackles. They were the numbers of a useful spare part.

Rice had bigger numbers as a rookie than Hills had in his first two years. Then, Rice really went to town as a second-year pro, running for 1,339 yards (5.3 per carry) and catching 78 passes for 702 yards. They were the numbers of a superstar.

Flash forward to 2010.

Hillis has had one of the biggest breakout years in the NFL. Rice has regressed slightly.

The result is that in the emerging legitimate debate, the 2010 winner, going by the numbers, arguably is No. 40 from the Cleveland Browns

Through 14 games, Hillis leads Rice 1,129-1,051 in rushing yards, 4.5-4.1 in yards per carry and 13-5 in touchdowns.

Rice has better receiving numbers, but not by a lot, leading 62-59 in catches and 556-469 in yards.

The pile-driving, 6-foot-1, 244-pound Hillis has given the Browns 1,598 yards from scrimmage, already surpassing the previous expansion-era high of 1,552 by Jamal Lewis in 2007.

<DIV ="entry-">full article: http://www.cantonrep.com/browns/x1682028531/Hillis-play-bodes-well-for-Browns-futureEdited by: Don Wassall

Westside

Hall of Famer
Its amazing once you compare and contrast supposed after thought runningbacks, Gerhart and Hillis in match up of games and seasons against supa affeletic runners in AP and Rice, and the results favor our guys without question. Yes, with examples like these, the grip of the castesystem is loosening.

Tom Iron

Mentor
Westside,

Agreed. At this point, the loosening grip is imperseptable, but it is coming looser as you say. I think next draft will show it more so. The coaches around the league aren't going to want other coaches getting better players than them and will start drafting more White players.

Interestingly, blacks have no idea the way the world works. They have no idea they're their own worst enemies.

Tom Iron...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. I'll put the blurb about Hillis from Weenie World at the end of the Plain Dealer article to show how Weenie World spun this article.

Cleveland Browns' Peyton Hillis eager to carry offense's workload

On the first practice day of the 16th week, Peyton Hillis rested with a sore knee. He limped slightly in the locker room. Hillis and coach Eric Mangini downplayed the injury.

Both tried to ascribe Hillis' absence from practice as simply a day of rest. If that was the case, who could blame him?

The running back's 311 rushes and receptions and 1,598 total yards represent 38.5 percent of the Browns' offense. He has accounted for 34.6 percent of the team's first downs and 48 percent of its touchdowns.

Besides the physical workload, there's the strain of carrying the team's chances of winning on his shoulders in every game. That's got to take a toll.

"I feel great," Hillis said Wednesday. "It is a long season. It's tough on your body, but I think my body's holding up well. I don't see any differences from the beginning of the season.

"Especially at my age [24]. I still think I'm young. I don't think it's slowed me down at all."

Hillis has 252 carries and 59 receptions in the breakout season of his young career. In four years and 44 games at the University of Arkansas, he carried the ball 203 times and caught it 118.

"I'm sure it's totally different for him to have this kind of work, but he's one of the most well-conditioned guys that I've been around," Mangini said. "I think he relishes every chance he gets to continue to carry the ball and be productive."

Hillis figures to be the focal point of the Browns' offense again Sunday against Baltimore. Running the ball this time of year is what the Browns have preached and practiced all season. With their rival's division title hopes on the line, one thing you can count on is the Ravens not overlooking Hillis.

Which might have been the case in the first meeting in Baltimore on Sept. 26.

"Probably," Hillis said. "But whatever advantage we had in the first game, you can be sure we won't have this game."

Against an unsuspecting Baltimore defense, Hillis trampled the Ravens for 144 yards on 22 rushing attempts, helping the Browns to a 17-14 lead in the fourth quarter. The Ravens prevailed, 24-17. After the game, Ravens linebacker Terrell Suggs gave Hillis respect and confessed he didn't know who he was, but does now.

Hillis' 144 yards are the most allowed by the Ravens to one back all season. Only Houston's Arian Foster (100 yards) and Carolina's Mike Goodson (120) hit triple figures on them. Hillis' 48-yard run also is the longest run yielded by Baltimore and the second-longest play from scrimmage against them.

"No one's run the ball on us like that, not to that extent," Ravens coach John Harbaugh said Wednesday on a conference call. "I just think he's very good. They've got a very physical offensive line, a downhill running attack that complements their line and Peyton very well. It's just good physical football. That's going to be tough for anybody to handle. We certainly didn't handle it well the first time we played."

Because of two key failures on Hillis carries on third-and-1 in successive losses to Buffalo and Cincinnati -- the first two stops in 12 attempts on third-and-1 all season -- there's been teeth-gnashing about what's gone wrong. Is Hillis wearing down? Are the plays too predictable? Could anyone possibly succeed running into a scrum of 11 defenders poised to stop him?

"I actually look at the last two weeks and see some of his better games, [based on] his average per carry [5.1 and 4.2]," left tackle Joe Thomas said. "I feel he's getting stronger as the season's going on."

Hillis doesn't buy the "too predictable" theory, either.

"No matter what play it is, we should get 1 yard," he said. "The more you play, any team, the more people pick up on your tendencies and calls on certain downs and distances. There comes a point in every game where . . . if they know you're running a play, you can still run it. To beat the defense down, you have to get to that point where you know you have the upper hand on them."

That's why Sunday's game should be a real challenge for Hillis, the offensive line and fullback Lawrence Vickers. The Ravens know what's coming -- that truck wearing No. 40.

Hillis' 1,129 yards rushing, 469 yards receiving and 13 touchdowns should merit strong consideration for Pro Bowl voting. He had a late surge to finish a close third to Foster and Jacksonville's Maurice Jones-Drew in fan voting that closed Monday night. Only 10 players from all positions leaguewide -- AFC and NFC -- drew more votes than Hillis' 656,276.

Players and coaches throughout the AFC complete their ballots today.

Hillis isn't getting his hopes up about earning one of the three berths, however.

"Slim to none," he rates his chances. "A lot of good backs out there that have done just as good or better than I have. I guess it depends on my opponents, if they think I'm good enough to go, and the coaching staffs."

Too bad the voting couldn't wait until after Sunday's game. One more 100-yard game against the Ravens might seal their vote.
http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2010/12/cleveland_browns_peyton_hillis_2.html

This is how WeenieWorld spun it: Peyton Hillis was seen limping at Browns headquarters Wednesday, on the same day he missed practice with a knee injury. The Browns attempted to downplay Hillis' absence as a mere day of "rest," but he's clearly hurting after 311 offensive touches. His previous career high as a pro is 82, and Hillis never touched the football more than 111 times in a season at Arkansas. The Ravens' defense is out for blood after Hillis gashed them for 180 total yards and a touchdown in Week 3. "A blind cat will find a meal every once in a while," said Ray Lewis. "It won't happen again."

Bart

Hall of Famer
Don Wassall said:
Here's an article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer. 

The Ravens' defense is out for blood after Hillis gashed them for 180 total yards and a touchdown in Week 3. "A blind cat will find a meal every once in a while," said Ray Lewis. "It won't happen again." [/i]</div>

Hillis was just lucky the first time around, I guess. I'd like to see Peyton in full force collide with Lewis. My money is on the Juggernaut.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Bart said:
Don Wassall said:
Here's an article from the Cleveland Plain Dealer.

The Ravens' defense is out for blood after Hillis gashed them for 180 total yards and a touchdown in Week 3. "A blind cat will find a meal every once in a while," said Ray Lewis. "It won't happen again."

Hillis was just lucky the first time around, I guess. I'd like to see Peyton in full force collide with Lewis. My money is on the Juggernaut.

Same here, Bart! I hope Hillis gets another 100+ Sunday.

Riddlewire

Master
Considering how much the Browns have regressed since that Jets game, Lewis is probably correct. Daboll's playbook only has two runs in it for Hillis, and both of them are painfully obvious. And they have restricted McCoy to the 5-yard out pattern for most of his passes. Cleveland looks like a team that wants to lose.

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Here is something on Hillis.

Peyton Hillis was seen limping at Browns headquarters Wednesday, on the same day he missed practice with a knee injury.
<div ="s_pNewsTextMain">
The Browns attempted to downplay Hillis' absence as a mere day of
"rest," but he's clearly hurting after 311 offensive touches. His
previous career high as a pro is 82, and Hillis never touched the
football more than 111 times in a season at Arkansas. The Ravens'
defense is out for blood after Hillis gashed them for 180 total yards
and a touchdown in Week 3. "A blind cat will find a meal every once in a
while," said Ray Lewis. "It won't happen again."
</div>

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
wa33, Don posted that blurb 4 posts above yours.