Peter over Toney

freedom1

Mentor
Peter dominates Toney, earns shot at WBC heavyweight title

January 7, 2007
HOLLYWOOD, FLORIDA (TICKER) -- Samuel Peter left no doubt this time around.

Peter started quickly and battered James Toney throughout, scoring a unanimous 12-round decision in a heavyweight title elimination fight Saturday night.

Showing remarkable movement, Peter (28-1, 22 KOs) earned a title shot against WBC champion Oleg Maskaev as he controlled the rematch with Toney, who complained long and loud after dropping a split decision in their previous bout.

ADVERTISEMENT

At the final bell, Peter did a little victory dance in the ring as Toney - his left eye partially swollen shut - just pawed a glove toward him in disgust.

"This was my best fight," the 25-year-old Peter said. "I trained hard for this fight."

The judges' scorecards were 119-108 and a pair at 118-110 for Peter, known as "The Nigerian Nightmare." He was was warned twice for hitting Toney in the back of the head but did not lose a point as he did in the first fight just over four months ago. Toney grumbled about that decision but could say nothing after this one. He showed very little energy and was knocked down for the first time since 1994 against Roy Jones.

"He didn't knock me down," said Toney, severely slurring his words. "I slipped."

Peter staggered Toney just past the midway point of the first round, then was warned for hitting in the back of the head. In the second, Peter connected with a straight left that put Toney (69-6-3) on his rump.

The 38-year-old Toney rallied a bit in an action-filled fourth round but had little else. Peter kept finishing rounds with flurries that swayed the judges and had Toney wearing a beaten look.

In the 11th, Peter struck again with a big right hand that had Toney reeling. He kept his feet but offered nothing in return the remainder of the bout.

A former IBF middleweight, super middleweight and cruiserweight champion, Toney has lost two straight fights after going nearly nine years without a setback. He beat John Ruiz for the WBA title in 2005 but had to relinquish the championship after testing positive for steroids.

On the undercard, unbeaten Travis Simms used a relentless left hand to score a ninth-round technical knockout of Jose Antonio Rivera and capture the WBA junior middleweight title.

"I cannot be denied," Simms said. "I stayed in the gym, stayed diligent, stayed focused."

Alternating lead hands throughout, Simms (25-0, 19 KOs) battered and bloodied Rivera (38-5-1) and was ahead on all three scorecards entering the ninth round, when he dropped the champion with a straight left hand.

Rivera sat on the canvas and regrouped, beating the count. But he was drilled with a left hook and a straight right before the bout was stopped at the two-minute mark.

"I told the ref, 'As long as I'm standing, don't stop the fight,'" Rivera said.

Hockaday

Guru
Peter has added some more skills, which helped his dazzling display against a 38 year old bloated middleweight whose legs and energy are gone.

Can't wait to hear the renewed hype about Peter being the "future" and "salvation" of the heavyweight division (even though rumors have it he may be actually 34 years old).

I could almost file this one under "who cares?" Edited by: Hockaday

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Peter looked a lot better in this fight than any fight I've watching him in previously. He was throwing combinations and added some footwork to go with it. But he couldn't KO James Toney, and the punch that put Toney down was a jab that caught Toney flat-footed with his feet square to Peter. It was a weak knock down and didn't seem to hurt Toney at all.

WK would take the rematch by UD, just like he did the first. Maskaev... I want to see the fight. Right now I suspect Peter will KO Maskaev, but we'll see.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I saw the same thing a huge improvement in Peter. He actually looked like he was thinking in the ring not just throwing and trying to kill his opponent. The Peter I saw there can beat the normal sized heavies. I still think he is too small(height and reach wise) to beat Wlad unless they legalize rabbit punches.......
smiley36.gif

JD074

Master
Beating Toney isn't that big of a deal. He may have been good in his prime, in lower divisions, but he has not been an impressive HW. He beat Ruiz (and even that was changed to a No Contest after he tested positive for steroids,) an old Holyfield, and Guinn. That's about it. Yawn.

On the other hand, Peter has power and that, in and of itself, makes him a threat, especially against vulnerable fighters like Maskaev and Valuev. Someone last night said that Maskaev was the most vulnerable champion because he's been KO'd five times; well, just because Valuev hasn't been knocked out (or even knocked down) doesn't mean he can't be. I have a hard time visualizing Valuev being able to withstand Peter's power. Is it just me?? Maybe someone can enlighten me. Perhaps he can simply keep him at bay and avoid those dangerous punches. Maskaev has been knocked out, but he's also been tested; he withstood two bouts with Rahman, who brutally KO'd Lennox Lewis. He also lost to David Tua, so he's no stranger to getting hit hard. He knows what it's like. Who's the biggest puncher that Valuev has faced? Has he even fought a big puncher? Check out his record. I don't see any sluggers.

I would like to see Maskaev somehow get out of this fight (not likely) and lose to Klitschko, and then Klitschko could go on and (hopefully!) beat Peter and Briggs (the fight I really want.) A white fight fan can dream....
Edited by: JD074

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I agree with you, JD. I'm still not sold on Valuev, either. And if WK couldn't knock out Peter, what chance has Maskaev? I know WK almost had Peter out in the 12th, but I think WK is a harder puncher than Maskaev, and WK gets hit less. Very dangerous fight for Maskaev. I'd love to see him KO Peter, though. Nothing in boxing would be sweeter than watching Maskaev the underdog KO another great black hope!

freedom1

Mentor
You guys think the improved Peter is the best black fighter currently in the HW division?

I think everyone is pretty much in agreement that Wlad is the best active white fighter in the heavies.

I look forward to somewhere down the road seeing a rematch with Peter and W Klitschko. They're both improved. Wlad is a smart guy. I'd be curious to see how he'd alter his strategy from the first fight in which he took some deadly shots.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Hmm... the best black fighter currently in the HW division? Good question.

Despite his KO loss to WK, I think Brock is one of the better black heavyweights out there. Peter looked new and improved, it would be good see him go up against someone with some decent cardio and high punch output though.

I think Lamon Brewster would beat any of the current crop of black heavyweights though. He'd KO Briggs, Brock, etc, but I think he would lose to Maskaev, Valuev, or WK, maybe by TKO but more likely by UD.

JD074

Master
White Shogun said:
I agree with you, JD. I'm still not sold on Valuev, either. And if WK couldn't knock out Peter, what chance has Maskaev? I know WK almost had Peter out in the 12th, but I think WK is a harder puncher than Maskaev, and WK gets hit less. Very dangerous fight for Maskaev.

Good logic. I see it the same way. He would have to win by decision, which would give Peter plenty of opportunities to KO him.

I'll try to look on the bright side: If Maskaev loses to Peter, and Sultan loses to Briggs, perhaps Peter and Briggs can soften each other up for Wlad! If Wlad could defeat the winner of Peter/ Briggs, then maybe, just maybe, he would finally get a little respect from the boxing world.

Nah!!
smiley7.gif

I'd love to see him KO Peter, though. Nothing in boxing would be sweeter than watching Maskaev the underdog KO another great black hope!

Absolutely! Just because we're skeptical doesn't mean we can't root for him! I like Valuev, I like Maskaev, I like all these guys, despite my skepticism/ pessimism. I hope they all win.