Paul Nash

WhiteHeat

Does anybody out there remember a sprinter from the 1960s by the name of Paul Nash? He was from South Africa and ran a 10 flat 100M - was he white and what became of him? I've never seen a picture of him.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I know that he was white, and Africa's best sprinter.
I'll try to find a photo.

white is right

Hall of Famer
WhiteHeat said:
Does anybody out there remember a sprinter from the 1960s by the name of Paul Nash? He was from South Africa and ran a 10 flat 100M - was he white and what became of him? I've never seen a picture of him.
He wasn't allowed to compete for South Africa in 68'. There was a lot of debate whether South Africa was going to be allowed and like in 64' they were banned. I think I recall that he for a short time tried to run for England, but world pressure forced the British to relent on letting him run for their team. There has been a lot of furious debates on whether he was a true medal contender in 68', but almost all posters(on lets run and Track and Field news) thought he would have finaled in Mexico City. He later retired because of bad feet about a year later.

paul nash would have won gold. the fastest men of the day were armin hary 1960-west germany(white),bob hayes 1964-us (*******),paul nash 1968-republic of south africa(white), valeriy borzov 1972- ussr (white), the best ever sprinter, 1976 valeriy borzov (injured and still won bronze), 1980 allan wells scotland (white), 1984 marian woronin poland (white)