Owen Schmitt

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
He transferred to West Virginia from a Division III school, and ran 6 times for 80 yards Saturday against Maryland, including a touchdown. He ended lup eading the team in rushing yardage with just those 6 carries. Schmitt's 6-3 and 245 pounds. Of course he's labeled a "fullback-tailback hybrid" because almost no good white RB can just be a tailback, but maybe he'll be so good that he'll start being used more like Brian Leonard.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05262/574068.stm

http://www.msnsports.net/page.cfm?story=8247

Schmitt-Owen.jpg
Edited by: Don Wassall

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Good find Don.We will have to add him to the players to be watched list.I hope he continues to excell!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
it just goes to show you that all guys need is belief in themselves and an opportunity. good work Don! and good job Owen!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Owen had 4 carries for 32 yards and a TD today, along with an 11 yard catch. That should make him the 3 highest rusher on the team this season. He remains 5'th in receiving yards this season.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Owen had 7 runs for 30 yards in a 38-0 win over Cincinnati last night.

backrow

Hall of Famer
thanks for posting those articles Don, i just read them when you guys bumped this topicyesterday. my favourite line was of course that:

"Mike Alstott Jr.," tailback Pernell Williams called him. "He's another tailback. He's a fullback-slash-tailback. He's part of that five-headed, six-headed monster."

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Owen isn't allowed to run the ball very much, but he sure makes the most of it when he does. He carried 4 times for 54 yards against Pitt on national television yesterday, giving him 34/256 on the season for a very impressive 7.5 yards per carry.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Hopefully, West Virginia will play him a lot during their bowl game, which should be a good one.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Owen had 54 yards on just 8 attempts against Maryland, close to last year's pace when he averaged 7.9 yards per carry! Looks like he may run the ball more than Brian Leonard, though he's only the third runningoption on WVU. Draft Daddy has their usual on-the-mark description of Schmitt:

FB Owen Schmitt -- Rugged 6' 2", 250 pound fullback is a great blocker and solid receiver, but he's also an outstanding runner. Possesses 4.62 speed and averaged an amazing 7.9 yards per attempt in 2005 (48-380-2 TD's). In our opinion, given the chance, Schmitt could easily be a 1,000 rusher on the big time college level. Ran for 54 yards on only 8 attempts against Maryland. He's our 2nd ranked fullback in the junior class, behind vastly under-utilized Arkansas fullback Peyton Hillis.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I like DD's point about Peyton Hillis. I hope Owen has an awesome year.

whiteCB

Master
DD.com is always objective and on the money with their assessments. Owen with 4.62 speed would be used as a full time HB if only he was black.

white is right

Hall of Famer
He is faster than prime Alstott. Who is West Virginia's tailback? If he isn't 100 a game guy what is up with the moronic coaching staff?
smiley5.gif

REDNOSE

Guru
WV's tailback is very talented and looks to be one of the better backs in the country. This is unfortunate for Owen, but hopefully he will get to carry the ball more in the future.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
WVU's slaton is very good, but i've noticed a trend...

every school with a dominant white combo back (Schmitt, Hillis, Leonard, Hester) has a "phenomenal" black tailback that prevents them from getting more touches. is this bad luck, or is it possible that the white backs are incredibly dominant blockers who aid their teammates cause and prevent themselves from getting more carries?

i haven't watched enough LSU and WVU games to know, but i've seen virtually every Arkansas game and several Rutgers games. and it is obvious that the black RBs get more yards per carry when the white backs mentioned above are blocking for 'em as opposed to when they are on the sideline getting a breather.

it seems to me that the team-first unselfishness displayed the white backs is hurting their chances to get more carries. because they are obviously more "complete" running backs than their black 'mates, their abilities help the backs who are just tailbacks to get more glory, and ultimately more money down the line.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I agree Jimmy. Watching Rutgers so far this year when Leonard actually gets a carry it is in a single back formation, I mean why can't that overhyped Rice block for Leonard.

backrow

Hall of Famer
gotta give the credit where credit is due: Rice unfortunately is a very talented runningback, and so is Leonard, and on many different levels, which in a perfect world would mean that they share carries (reminiscent of thunder and lightning combo)... the way things are Leoanrd, Schmitt etc get scraps, if that... what are 4-5 carries per game for guys that are more than capable of carrying the load???

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
i agree with you backrow, that rice is a talented back... but on par with Leonard? i'd have to disagree.

Leonard is a complete back, while rice is just a scat back with more power than you would think he'd have. taking nothing away from rice, i just don't understand why a true feature back like Leonard doesn't get the lion's share of carries, plus the big chunk of receptions which he still manages. he's obviously the best player on the team, so give him more touches. it would seem to be a no-brainer...

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Owen had 4 carries for 15 yards and 4 catches for 14 yards and a TD. He is some kind of runner! Did any of you see when they showed his facemask from last week's game? It was bent all up. I haven't seen anything like that.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Schmitt is learning another position in addition to fullback. You mean he's finally being used as a tailback? Of course not silly, he's learning to be a blocking tight end. WVU doesn't throw to the tight end, so this makes perfect sense from a Caste System perspective. [I've highlighted some of the racial stereotypes in this article about a player who would bea power back coveted by the NFL except for his "handicap." Also I kept in the follow-up at the end about two of Schmitt's affletic teammates being arrested. Just another typical day in the Caste System. . .]
Fullback adds to his versatility
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. -- Fullback Owen Schmitt is practicing as often, if not more, at the tree-falling-in-the-forest position of West Virginia's spread offense: tight end.

It is a position that didn't catch a pass last season; only two were thrown in its direction.

It is a position that caught all of three passes the season before; a guard, Ryan Stanchek, and a quarterback, Adam Bednarik, were credited with almost as many receptions, two combined.

It is a position that caught one pass in 2004, four in '03 ...

You get the picture: Tight end is hardly in the team picture, when it comes to anything other than blocking.

So why is Schmitt, a Scout.com All-America at fullback last season and a preseason selection this one by ESPN.com, taking his 20 career receptions -- the same amount compiled by tight ends the previous four season -- and performing double duty at that spot?

"It's fun to learn new stuff," Schmitt said from underneath a West Virginia ballcap that temporarily conceals his Mohawk 'do. "Keeps it more interesting."

In fact, the move makes sense. For one thing, Schmitt, a 6-foot-3, 260-pound senior, usually will be blocking the same defender he might have to pursue from his backfield position. For another, he has NFL quality hands, having finished fourth last season with 12 receptions ... despite being healthy for only the first four games and the Gator Bowl.

Not that at tight end he would be guaranteed of seeing passes heaved his way.

Same for fullback.

"It's not really a position that people use anymore," Schmitt said of fullback. "Speed is the game now. They're going four wides, maybe a tight end on the line. A lot of the fullbacks you see now are dual guys."

So Schmitt is joining the movement rather than fighting it.

A lad who grew up idolizing fullbacks such as Tampa Bay's Mike Alstott and his beloved Green Bay's William Henderson, Schmitt also enjoyed "the old-school stuff, Larry Csonka and John Riggins." Yes, he's familiar with not only Csonka's 1970s show, but also his syndicated television work from ESPN Classic reruns: "I mean, he was the host for 'American Gladiators,' " Schmitt noted.

Nowadays, this fullback-tight end tries to more closely scrutinize fellow hybrids in the NFL.

A poster of Jim Kleinsasser, anyone? "He's fun to watch," Schmitt said.

But even the Minnesota Vikings veteran essentially has dropped half of those duties, having last carried the football as a fullback in 2003.

With a Mountaineers offense trying to regularly involve everybody's All-American Steve Slaton, last year's Big East offensive player of the year Patrick White and speedy receiver Darius Reynaud, if not also capable backups Jarrett Brown at quarterback and possibly freshmen tailbacks Noel Devine and Jock Sanders, it will remain to be seen if Schmitt's move doubles or halves his chances at touching the ball.

2 defenders arrested

Two players expected to play key roles on defense, redshirt freshman linebacker J.T. Thomas and junior cornerback Ellis Lankster, were arrested early yesterday morning on charges of receiving and transferring stolen property, a felony under West Virginia law.

Morgantown police said the two were arraigned by a magistrate and they apparently posted bond, but those records weren't available.

No other details were furnished by police, who said their report remained incomplete as of late last night.

The status of Thomas and Lankster on the third-ranked team was under review by Rodriguez.

"I am aware that Ellis and J.T. have been involved in an off-campus situation," Rodriguez said in a statement released early last night.

"I am investigating at this time and will make the determination about their status within the football program after all the facts are in."

Rodriguez offered no specifics.

Lankster made an interception in Saturday's scrimmage, but Thomas sat out because of an injury.

After the scrimmage, Rodriguez provided a caution about the end of summer camp and the start of school:

"Well, our guys can't afford to run around and play around. Like tonight, our guys have curfew at 11 [p.m.].

"There are people they hang around with in a dorm or downtown, and they might not have a curfew. But our guys have to be different, and I think they understand that. I hope they do.

"I better not be getting any late-night phone calls, if you know what I mean."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07232/810760-144.stm

whiteCB

Master
Owen is just another blind follower of the caste system. He's totally content to block for RBs and never touch the ball. what a bitch.

This is what always gets me upset. This is Owen's senior year. He has put in the hard work and has had to play a 3rd fiddle to Slaton & White. Again, as everyone knows, Slaton is a hell of a back and Pat White runs the offense well. I can't dispute that. But right when it seems that he's going to get more carries, here comes 2 of the top recruits in the nation with Jock Sanders and Noel Devine. And both of them, according to the reports are tearing it up...

from the 'Blue and Gold news'

"In the competition to backup All-American Steve Slaton, rookies Noel Devine and Jock Sanders continue to impress. Sanders ripped of several nice runs on Saturday, and showed a good combination of speed and strength. Devine showed flashes of his potential as well, and scored a touchdown during red zone work."

"The two freshmen obviously are the guys we are repping there," said the head coach. "Jock Sanders and Noel Devine are right there behind Steve Slaton. Those guys are the guys that will get the majority of the reps this week. They will be our No. 2 guys along with Owen Schmitt, in certain situations."

"Both players will also likely contribute to the return game. Devine recorded a 37-yard kickoff return during Saturday's scrimmage, while Sanders ripped off a long punt return."

Both of them tore it up in H.S. but why should they have to be right there fighting with Owen for the second string spot? Owen has been excellent every time he was in there. Freshmen, in most cases, should not take a spot from a Senior if that Senior has done a great job. But then again they are always looking to "upgrade". I don't know about Jock Sanders off of the field, but Noel Devine has had some problems off the field and that's putting it lightly. That could hurt the team in the long run. Either way, it's just eats me up that now Owen will have to share even more of his precious carries with Freshmen. They don't honor loyality like they used to.
smiley19.gif
smiley7.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
announcers are giving him a lot of credit so far, praising his freakish strength. (550 lbs clean!) too bad that so far he's only been used as a decoy...

draftdaddy had this article about Owen, with this commntary:

In-depth look at bullish West Virginia fullback Owen Schmitt, who looks like a taller version of Jerome Bettis when he gets to the run ball (6.3 career rushing avg.), but rarely does anything except block in West Virginia's system and will likely be moved to H-Back in the N.F.L. Edited by: backrow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
H-back for a white in the NFL means hardly-back.
smiley5.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah the only h-back worth noticing is Chris Cooley. i really hope that some one will see his potential as a power runningback...

WOW, this "h-back" just broke 44 yard run! talk about a "lack" of speed! the announcers were raving about this, too: "250 lbs and this kind of speed!"

they also showed his strength scores, which are all "off the charts"
smiley1.gif
this kid is a freak of nature!Edited by: backrow

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
they showed his physical stats and had him listed as running a 4.57 second 40. that is plenty fast for an NFL tailback, especially at his size.
smiley32.gif
he is HUGE, nimble, powerful, AND fast.

as DraftDaddy posted the other day, he is a faster version of Jerome Bettis and should be considered for a similar role in the NFL. however, we know why he will not.
smiley7.gif

edited to add: as an aside, these two scatter-shot black quarterbacks are God awful when they actually have to throw the ball. i mean, eww.
smiley5.gif
Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood