Oregon WR Jeff Maehl "defies stereotype".

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I wasn't saying he was this year's class JC, just speaking about how him and Maehl both should be talked about as amongst the elite at both their respective offensive skill positions based on what they've done this year and how both of their draft stock in their respective years is in stark contrast to what it SHOULD be. Is Line a BETTER version of Michael Bush or could he even be a slower slightly poorer version of Steven Jackson. I see some similarities to a slightly poorer Gerhart or Hillis as well. Line might not be quite as powerful as Gerhart or certainly Hillis, but he has that amazing X-Y agile style, with balance that is a pleasure to watch. He makes the first guy miss very well and quickly gets north south. I was also impressed with his ability to cut quickly and even make a stutter juke one way and than bounce the other way without gearing down much at all. Line is certainly more of a slasher than a darter, but I think best case scenario he could be a Hillis type, slightly worse a Gerhart or Steven Jackson type- even worse case he's a Michael Bush type and (although very unlikely) I guess he could wind up like Cedric Benson or Marshawn Lynch, but as a white man that kind of season production will quickly play him out of the league rather than staying a starter.

Bottom Line is that Line has the pedigree, production, triangle numbers, film and intangibles that should have NFL teams considering him AT LEAST in the mid rounds already for his draft year with him still having the chance to build on this. He looks to me to be maybe a late second round prospect for your typical draft year right now. Instead he is considered undraftable...What a crock!

Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
As I write this, the Bleacher Report article on Maehl has over 14,500 views in a little over a day, and only one writer half-heartedly trys to defend the author of it from those taking him to task for his (conscious or unconscious) racism.

TwentyTwo

Master
Thank you Ron Mexico
smiley32.gif
They let just any unathletic bozowrite an article ehh??

My friend from Arkansas very aware of the situation called meas soon asMushbeger's racist statement was made about Maehl's "sneaky speed"....At the post-game desk Urban Cryer commented seeing him at practice..."not the best looking player, but a good player"...ahhh the insults...it's getting old...and a place like CF can awken the sheeple from it's slumber...

I talked to coach at the HS I work at(older baby boomer) spoke of how the AFL started this up...

Scott Frost...wow do I remember him! The NYJets gave him #47 to play safety and try to make him another John Lynch...Edited by: TwentyTwo

Deadlift

Hall of Famer
If Maehl is "skinny" -- then what are Jeremy Maclin, Randy Moss and DeSeaniqua Jackson?

Don't look like bodybuilders to me... and this can apply to MANY black DBs and RBs as well.

johnnyboy

Guru
snow said:
johnnyboy said:
snow said:
Well Frost should be aware of stereotypes and discrimination, despite being a great dual threat qb that took Nebraska to a National Championship, he was converted to safety. At 6'3 230 pounds he wouldve  been 10 x the qb that Newton will ever be in the NFL. Glad to see he isn't afraid of saying things like this. 

snow, there's no way Frost would have ever gotten a chance to play qb at the NFL level. no caste system in it either. he played qb at Nebraska dude. NFL caliber athlete though. if i would've been his agent i would've had him convert to WR or HB.
Playing at Nebraska is no different than the gimmick offenses they have now like Auburn, Oregon, Florida etc. except he had to drop back to pass (the detractors many white qbs have now who play in the spread), didn't run the hurry up and the offenses didn't have components of Mike Leach's Airraid (how many white quarterbacks got chances in the NFL under Leach?) but Frost still had comparable numbers to Vick. Vick's last season he had 1439 passing yards 9 tds and 7 int, and 636 rushing yards 9 tds. Frost had similar numbers his junior season with 1440 passing yards 13 tds and 3 int, 578 rushing yards, 9 tds. I can't find exactly what Frost's senior numbers were but he was the first at Nebraska to have 1,000 rushing and 1,000 passing, and held the record for most attempts without an interception (155). Tebow is the only white quarterback to get a chance like this, and it has been an uphill battle for him, and now we aren't even sure if the new coach will start him at qb with Elway's weird comments. Cam Newton, and all of the other black qbs play in the same type of offenses yet are proclaimed to be quarterbacks at the next level. Frost had a good arm and might have been able to play  qb at Stanford if he didn't transfer and got more experience in their offense. I think he wouldve made a good dual threat qb in the NFL. It might not be Drew Brees, Tom Brady level, but he would be doing better than Vick's best performances. For the record, Vick's best college season was 1840 yards, 58 percent passing completion, 12 tds 5 interceptions, 110 attempts for 580 yards 8 tds. Didn't exactly light the world on fire, but was the first overall pick. So you are saying Eric Crouch also wasn't capable of being an NFL quarterback since he played at Nebraska? When you break it down, the new spread option teams aren't much different, similar concepts to what Nebraska was running. The passing is the same one read crap that even Vince Young was doing at Texas. They just spread out the offense more so wider running lanes and have components of Mike Leach's Airraid, which like I said, hasn't done any white quarterback favors as to getting into the NFL. The only difference is the passing concepts are simplified because you have to work on the run game so much. Florida had a dive back just like Nebraska had one, except it was in shotgun, the pitchman, instead of lining up in the backfield exclusively was usually a slot receiver that goes in motion in Urban Meyer's offense (at least when Tebow was there). I haven't watched much of Auburn or Oregon. I know its not that much different from what Tebow was running except they added a ton of wrinkles to make the quarterback look better than he actually is. Plus Gus is a much better offensive coordinator than Meyer and college defenses haven't caught up to what he is doing. Also Frost, like Tebow ran one play that I haven't seen too many black spread qbs run, which is qb power. I agree that Frost couldve made a great halfback, and also think Tebow can, but I still think Frost could play qb in the NFL, just like Tebow is proving. Unfortunately, the simplified passing game will be a detractor for Maehl, just like it was for Riley Cooper. Every "guru" said he was raw and would have to make a huge adjustment to the NFL because of Florida's route tree. Cooper went lower than every other wide receiver that played under Tebow, despite putting up the best receiving stats for Florida since 2002. Even if Maehl runs a 4.4 which is suspect he will, they will have some negative to say of him.

i watched a lot of Nebraska football back in the day and i don't think Frost, Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch were good enough passers to be legit starting qbs in the NFL.

Vick wasn't drafted based on his stats. it was all hype. his highlight reel scrambles and his reported arm strength got him drafted. if stats mattered a whole lot then Tommie Frazier would have gone number 1 overall despite his blood clots.

cheers.

snow

Mentor
johnnyboy said:
i watched a lot of Nebraska football back in the day and i don't think Frost, Tommie Frazier or Eric Crouch were good enough passers to be legit starting qbs in the NFL.

Vick wasn't drafted based on his stats. it was all hype. his highlight reel scrambles and his reported arm strength got him drafted. if stats mattered a whole lot then Tommie Frazier would have gone number 1 overall despite his blood clots.

cheers.

I watched alot of Nebraska as well, and Tommy Frazier wasn't even on the same level as Crouch and Frost as passers, he looked like Ladanian Tomilson trying to pass in comparison, he finished his career completing less than half his passes and never had more than 800 yards rushing in a season. He wasn't drafted because of his blood clots, and that was pretty much the only reason (besides having a poor combine), doesn't matter what his stats were. CFL took a chance on him anyway and was hospitalized shortly after.
Edited by: snow

Why are we already trying to seal Zach Line's fate? Should he just quit football or convert to left tackle or something, because obviously many of us here have already made up our minds that no matter how well he performs or what kind of combine numbers he puts up that he simply won't be drafted. Has the NFL gotten even more rigid against drafting white RBs since last year when Gerhart went in the second round? Brian Leonard was also a 2nd round pick, and Hillis barely squeaked in the 7th round.

I mean we can complain all we want of the past with Mike Hass, Brock Forsey, Luke Staley etc. but I don't think we should write off anyone's chances in the future. These guys are working extremely hard and need all the positivity and support they can get.

I think Jeff Maehl will get drafted, and I think he will get a shot. The WR position is changing. Just like coaches are unafraid of using white TEs and passing to them, I believe that within the next 5 years there will be a significant uptick in the number of white WRs. Some firmly entrenched beliefs and taboos die hard, but I think the clear success of white WRs recently is changing these hard set beliefs and we will notice the difference shortly.

Just like the Soviet empire came crashing down seemingly all of a sudden, there were actually small signals in advance that many didn't notice. I believe what we're seeing now are the advance signals and in the next few years there will be a complete and utter collapse of the caste system. Also remember that the USSR almost made a comeback and a largely unreported small civil war, but it was averted. That's saying we need to stay eternally vigilant even if half the RBs in the NFL were white. Either way, I have this deep sense of optimism now more than ever that began some point in 2009.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I'm hopeful about Jeff Maehl and Zach Line, although my hope is grounded in knowing what could very well happen to them in the NFL.

johnnyboy

Guru
snow said:
johnnyboy said:

cheers.
I watched alot of Nebraska as well, and Tommy Frazier wasn't even on the same level as Crouch and Frost as passers, he looked like Ladanian Tomilson trying to pass in comparison, he finished his career completing less than half his passes and never had more than 800 yards rushing in a season. He wasn't drafted because of his blood clots, and that was pretty much the only reason (besides having a poor combine), doesn't matter what his stats were. CFL took a chance on him anyway and was hospitalized shortly after.

i respect your opinion but completely disagree with you when you say Tommy wasn't as good as passer as Frost or Crouch. btw you're cherry picking the stats. their completion percentages are close. but now look at their TD to INT ratio.

it doesn't matter much though. in the end all three qb's were part of some of the best and most white friendly programs in history. just because i don't think any of the three would've made good NFL qbs doesnt mean i don't respect their collegiate accomplishments. as i said before, Frost and Crouch could have been great rbs/wrs in the right system. it's fun to wonder what kind of careers they would have had if they could have played for Belichick! yeah i know they'd be too old now but could you imagine Brady throwing to Wes, Crouch, Frost, and Julian WITH Woodhead coming out of the back field?!

johnnyboy

Guru
Electric Slide said:
Why are we already trying to seal Zach Line's fate? Should he just quit football or convert to left tackle or something, because obviously many of us here have already made up our minds that no matter how well he performs or what kind of combine numbers he puts up that he simply won't be drafted. Has the NFL gotten even more rigid against drafting white RBs since last year when Gerhart went in the second round? Brian Leonard was also a 2nd round pick, and Hillis barely squeaked in the 7th round.

I mean we can complain all we want of the past with Mike Hass, Brock Forsey, Luke Staley etc. but I don't think we should write off anyone's chances in the future. These guys are working extremely hard and need all the positivity and support they can get.

I think Jeff Maehl will get drafted, and I think he will get a shot. The WR position is changing. Just like coaches are unafraid of using white TEs and passing to them, I believe that within the next 5 years there will be a significant uptick in the number of white WRs. Some firmly entrenched beliefs and taboos die hard, but I think the clear success of white WRs recently is changing these hard set beliefs and we will notice the difference shortly.

Just like the Soviet empire came crashing down seemingly all of a sudden, there were actually small signals in advance that many didn't notice. I believe what we're seeing now are the advance signals and in the next few years there will be a complete and utter collapse of the caste system. Also remember that the USSR almost made a comeback and a largely unreported small civil war, but it was averted. That's saying we need to stay eternally vigilant even if half the RBs in the NFL were white. Either way, I have this deep sense of optimism now more than ever that began some point in 2009.

thanks for the post bro. i like your positivity and draw strength from it.

cheers.