olympic team

hedgehog

Mentor
The olympic basketball team was selected for the Beijing olympics in 2008. I heard some guy at work ranting that Allen Iverson was not selected. What are peoples opinions on this team? I don't know much about basketball.

guest301

Hall of Famer
We need shooters and passers playing the international game to have gold medal success. The NBA one on one style of play and relying on "superior" athletes doesn't work anymore. I think high percentage shoooters like Michael Redd, Kirk Hinrich and Ray Allen should be on the team as oppossed to slashers and volume shooters like Iverson and Ricky Davis. I also think we need Centers(big men) who can hit 18 foot jumpers from the top of the key and pass the ball real well like Brad Miller. We can't make a popularity contest out of choosing our team again. If it's just a all-star team that we put together and send them to the olmpics expecting to win..think again. The world has caught up to us in basketball. We need role players as well as stars on our next team.

KG2422

Mentor
I don't know about you guys, but even if there are a few token Whites on the team this time assigned as designated "shooters" to "spread the floor" I will still root against the U.S. Every time they lose it's a huge blow to the myth of Black supremacy. Like I've said before, blood is thicker than geography.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I have mixed feelings on that KG2422... The last couple of Olympics and World championships I have rooted for the Lithuanians, Italians, and Argentina to beat whatever version of the "dream team" that goes over there. It's the only time I have ever rooted against my country. But if guys like Miller, Serbiak, and Hinrich are on the team it would be easier to root for the US again. None of those players would be a token as you stated. Who knows maybe Morrison and Redick could be on the team by 2008. The roster could change based on performance, injuries, players pulling out, etc...

KG2422

Mentor
Well, if by some miracle the U.S. starts three whites and starts winning gold medals again, that would also be a blow to the system.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I loved the look on the US players faces in 2003 and 2004, when the lost to "inferior" teams. About the only guys I felt sorry for were Duncan and Iverson(because on the court he is a warrior)...........

guest301

Hall of Famer
I haven't had alot of regard for Iverson's off-court antics over the years but the guy is a warrior with alot of heart on the court. The way he throws that 160 pound body of his in the lane with the big boys takes courage. He also played his heart out for the world championships and said before the bronze medal game that it was a worthy goal and that the other teams played better. He wants real bad to play on the 2008 team but he hasn't been invited. He's just not a pure point guard or a high percentage shooter. Too bad Steve Nash is not a american.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Off the court Iverson is a moron, his chasing his naked wife through their posh condominium was classic ghetto thug.............

JoeV

Guru
Who knows maybe Morrison and Redick could be on the team by 2008.

Those two along with Greg Oden are among the intial 20 players or so.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I haven't seen that list. Are you saying there are pro and college players on that list? That's good news, if so.

Deacon

Guru
guest301 said:
I have mixed feelings on that KG2422... The last couple of Olympics and World championships I have rooted for the Lithuanians, Italians, and Argentina to beat whatever version of the "dream team" that goes over there.
I'm the same way. I remember the last Olympics when US played Germany. I think it was a qualifier, don't really remember. I'm half-German, so of course I was rooting for the Germans to beat the Americans. Well, US won that one, as I recall by a half-court shot or whatever. I have the memory of an 90 year-old apparently.

But I do remember Dirk saying that if the US had Shaq Germany wouldn't have standed a chance. Pissed me off but what can you do.

*When I say the Americans, I mean the all-black squad.Edited by: Deacon

Deacon

Guru
link

The list

Gilbert Arenas
Antawn Jamison
Shane Battier
Elton Brand
Rashard Lewis- OUT
Luke Ridnour
Chauncey Billups
Chris Bosh
Bruce Bowen
Dwight Howard
Josh Howard
Joe Johnson
Brad Miller
Chris Paul
Paul Pierce
Michael Redd -OUT
Dwyane Wade
Amare Stoudemire
Shawn Marion
Carmelo Anthony
LeBron James
Kobe Bryant
Lamar Odom

Three younger players - likely guard J.J. Redick, who stars for Krzyzewski at Duke, Gonzaga forward Adam Morrison and star Indianapolis high school center Greg Oden - will be added at a later date.

*Updated

Odom received a rejection letter early last week, but when Milwaukee's Michael Redd and Seattle's Rashard Lewis declined invitations, he was given one of the slots.Edited by: Deacon

guest301

Hall of Famer
Maybe Dirk shouldn't have said that but realistically if Shaq was there, it probably wouldn't have been close especially if he would have gotten away with as much physicality as he does in the NBA. I think I was rooting for the Germans too in that instance. I don't think any future "dream team" we send over there will be *******y. They certainly have no reason to be.

Deacon

Guru
This just in..

link

There also were questionable invitees like Luke Ridnour and Mike Miller...
Oh, we can't have that. Two stinking white players.

So Mike Miller was invited to join the US team. Sources say he wasn't. I'm confused now.

Anyway, the official team will be announced today.Edited by: Deacon

guest301

Hall of Famer
I guess I can't use that word anymore. I was referring to a team being full of itself. Thanks for the above list Deacon.

KG2422

Mentor
guest301 said:
Maybe Dirk shouldn't have said that but realistically if Shaq was there, it probably wouldn't have been close especially if he would have gotten away with as much physicality as he does in the NBA.

First, he wouldn't get away with all of that elbowing. Second, his shots and touches would have come at the expense of Tim Duncan. If not for Duncan, the U.S. would have lost at least a couple of more games. O'neal wouldn't have made a difference. Imagine him trying to guard all of those European posts, who can shoot, on the perimeter, not gonna happen.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Well he certainly wouldn't make a difference now..he is getting old..somewhat brittle and fat...the wide international lanes would give him problems too.But a young Shaq certainly would have made a differnence. Maybe not defensively but offensively not many European centers would have a chance. Depends on how the international refs call it. Why would pure shooters and playmakers like Miller and Ridnour be controversial. Because they are white, of course. If it's all white teams that are beaten you overseas then it stands to reason you want at least three or four whites on your team. It's all about team play in the Olympics..no need for the one on one stuff. Zone play makes it hard to penetrate and these European teams play hard and it means everything to beat the USA team.

Kaptain

Master
Shaq would have fouled out in the first half of every olympic game. In the NBA he is allowed back his butt up, spin his elbows into the defenders face, and if the defender is still there he will bull-doze over him and then shoot foul shots. Anybody catch the ESPN highlights of his last game in which he did just that to foul-out some white player (forgot his name)? That won't happen in Olympic play.

guest301

Hall of Famer
Didn't Shaq play on previous Olympic and/or world championship USA teams. I don't seem to remember him being ineffective or fouling out in those games. Now it's true if refs go strictly by the rules, He would foul out of every game. But he is too much of a star worldwide to get that kind of enforcement from the refs. I agree that he wouldn't help much now.

KG2422

Mentor
I don't know why Nowitzki or anyone else should make excuses for the U.S. when they get beat or don't play up to expectations. They always say it's because they didn't have this or that person. No one makes excuses for the international teams when they lose. Serbia - Montenegro played without some NBA players if I remember correctly. They might have stuck it to the U.S like everyone else if they had their best. So what.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I still think it's somewhat of a shock to majority black NBA when they lose to a European team. Because it's a shock..a excuse is something they come up with. If they want to continue to take the rest of the world lightly...then they will continue to get embarrassed. I think during the last world championships and Italy handed the USA team their first loss..the USA team regrouped themselves and busted their butt the rest of the tournament and still lost to Argentina and Lithuania. So in my opinion European teams have the same talent and skills(if not more) american teams have and have more teamwork and national pride. Plus they are much more fundamentally sound.

Kaptain

Master
guest301 said:
Didn't Shaq play on previous Olympic and/or world championship USA teams. I don't seem to remember him being ineffective or fouling out in those games. Now it's true if refs go strictly by the rules, He would foul out of every game. But he is too much of a star worldwide to get that kind of enforcement from the refs. I agree that he wouldn't help much now.

The competition has gotten much better since then. Tim Duncan had trouble staying out of foul trouble the last Olympics. I could see Shaq having a similar problem. He wouldn't have as big an impact as he does in the NBA - that is my main point. Thus, the excuse that Shaq didn't play and that is why the U.S. lost is bogus.

guest301

Hall of Famer
I agree with your last sentence. It's not a valid excuse. No excuse is valid when you supposedly have the best athletes in the world.

KG2422

Mentor
More garbage:

Kobe Bryant will be the centerpiece of the new-look USA Basketball team that is expected to improve upon a disappointing bronze medal at the 2004 Olympics

It's his time," USA Basketball coach Mike Krzyzewski said of Bryant. "He's 27 years old now. He should try to assume a position of leadership in the team. I would think he's very hungry to do this. I see him fitting in very, very well."

Bryant will be making his Olympic debut. He was supposed to play in Athens, but withdrew because of his sexual assault trial in Colorado. Criminal charges eventually were dropped, and he settled a civil suit with his accuser.

An early excuse just in case they lose again:
"The time commitment is a likely reason players such as Tim Duncan and Kevin Garnett were not interested."

As posted earlier the only White veterans invited to camp are Luke Ridnour and Brad Miller. Adam Morrison and J.J. Redick have also been invited. Miller looks like the only true center on the roster, so he'll probably stick. The other three are question marks.

[url]http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=ApyRzUcQB.AKPuwkFeT6KZ 28vLYF?slug=ap-usabasketball-selections&prov=ap&type=lgns [/url]Edited by: KG2422

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I think Morrison and Redick have a decent shot, while Ridnour is a big long shot to make this team.