Notre Dame TE - Kyle Rudolph

whiteathlete33

Hall of Famer
Wow!! I'm surprised this thread hasn't been touched in almost two years. Rudolph is a tremendous athlete who is the top ranked tight end for the upcoming draft. http://walterfootball.com/draft2011TE.phpEdited by: whiteathlete33

guest301

Hall of Famer
whiteathlete33 said:
Wow!! I'm surprised this thread hasn't been touched in almost two years.  Rudolph is a tremendous athlete who is the top ranked tight end for the upcoming draft.  http://walterfootball.com/draft2011TE.php

I am a big Irish fan and Kyle is my favorite player on the team. He will be on display tonight primetime on ABC as they take on Boston College. He's big,fast,strong and has great hands.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer

snow

Mentor
They don't rate white guys that have injury concerns as high as Rudolph (rated the top tight end by most) unless they are great athletes and have tremendous upside, like Gronkowski. Perhaps the more accurate comparison for Rudolph is actually Gronkowski instead of Tony Moeaki? The writer "just can't make that comparison yet....his rookie season".... Well no sh*t, Gronkowski has proven himself at the NFL level and had a year to play, but as a prospect you can compare the two. Draft gurus usually compare prospects to NFL players, how they were as prospects, not how they are currently doing in the NFL. As a prospect Rudolph compares to Gronkowski, hopefully he will get past the injury bug and have a season like Gronkowski did last year. You can't go off of any of his times because he was still bothered by a hamstring injury.

There is no way Williams will come close to the level of Chris Cooley, even Chris is taller than Williams. Williams is barely 6'2. How many elite tight ends with that height? The guy has pathetic 3 cone and shuttle numbers for someone so undersized, in the 240 range. Rudolph is pretty much 260 pounds at 6'6 with room to add bulk if needed. Williams looks maxed out at 245. Chris Cooley was 6037 and 262 at his pro day AND the NFL Combine. Funny how that is rounded down to 6'3 now in the NFL when I have seen that kind of number rounded to 6'4, which it was when he was coming out. Now I hear him being considered 6'2 by people. Maybe next year there will be some affletic tight end at 6'1 that he will be compared to as well.

I don't know if Chris Cooley is a good comparison anymore. Despite putting up above average stats on a sorry team, a few mistakes and everyone wants to get rid of him and play Fred Davis who has so much "potential.". Let him go to the team like the Saints that have a real quarterback, instead of Campbell who he had to play with most of his career and then last year McNabb.

Notice how an actual draft site's analysis of Williams kind of contradicts what the main page says (this is the link it takes you to when clicking his name)

"Positives: Plays on his
feet with good balance and will scrap and compete in-line to maintain
positioning. Very effective on crossing routes â€" adjusts well to the
ball and can sidestep tacklers in the open field. Secures the ball
without breaking stride. Solid production. Good intangibles and work
habits. Very determined.

Negatives:
Lacks girth, has short arms, plays too narrow-based and can be
controlled and tossed aside in-line. Lacks finishing strength. Not quick
or sudden releasing off the line of scrimmage and can be knocked off
routes easily.
Not a crafty route runner. A bit tight-hipped and not
overly strong or elusive after the catch.

Summary:
Scrappy, undersized "move"Â￾ tight end who could fill a role in the short
passing game and compete as a move blocker. Might warrant some interest
as a fullback.

The page comparing the two just said he was "quick off the line and was very agile and fluid", which one is it?

Edited by: snow

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It is pretty aggravating, snow.