Notre Dame 2006

BonnieBlue

The compliments for Calvin Johnson were surely excessive. There was no shortage of praise for GA Tech's qb (whose black), as well. Samardzija is a two-sport athlete with enough talent to play both baseball (he was drafted, I believe by the Cubs) and football professionally. Zbikowski is an all-american, boxes, and has excellent speed (he ran down Ted Ginn in last year's Fiesta Bowl). These two were, its safe to say, the best two athletes on the field, yet most of the praise was directed at Johnson? I ended my last sentence with a question mark, but we all know the why Johnson was the recipient.
By the way, ND did not look like one of the best teams in the nation. To improve their offense, maybe they should have Zbikowski put on 20 lbs. and move him to fb so he can block for their rb.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
hey, at least we can look at t this way, the more hype calvin johnson gets and the more productive he is, the more impressive Eric Weddle's performance was against him in their bowl game last year... right?

never mind, what am i thinking? i wouldn't want the mainstream to get confused by the facts...

white lightning

Hall of Famer
What a game.A win is a win and boy am I happy that Notre Dame won.They have such a tough schedule.It is going to be a very exciting year.I want to see them playing in the national championship game.

SVcabron

Don Wassall said:
Notre Dame held off a tough Georgia Tech team on the road 14-10.

I watched a lot of it and it was a classic Caste System broadcast by the troika of Brent Musberger, Bob Davies and Kirk Herbstreit. The boys spent most of the broadcast gushing non-stop lavish praise on Georgia Tech WR Calvin Johnson. They never ran out of compliments as they all but annointed him college football's best receiver and a surefire superstar in the NFL.

By contrast, Jeff Samardzija, Notre Dame's record-setting WR and two-sport star, was referred to merely as Brady Quinn's "best option" in the passing game.

Let's compare the two:

Calvin Johnson: 6-5 235 pounds, '05 stats - 54/888/6

Jeff Samardzija: 6-5 218 pounds, '05 stats - 77/1249/15

Finally, in the 4th quarter after Samardzija made a spectacular 48 yard over the shoulder catch, Herbstreit said something to the effect of, "You know we've been talking about Calvin Johnson all game, but Jeff Samardzija is going to be a first round draft choice too."

Davies: "We have the two best receivers in the country right here in this game."

But before those admissions, the three Caste System announcers had praised Johnson at a rate of about 25 to 1 over Samardzija. Anyone from CF who watched (and listened) knows that's an accurate appraisal, yet probably less than one out of a thousand fans would've
noticed what I'm talking about.
To be fair, Samardzija does have the nation's best quarterback throwing him the ball, while Johnson has one that sucks. Both are great players and athletes.

cslewis1

Guru
agree completely with Darwin. That guy is a monster. Can the NFL keep him out?

It seems as though LB Anthony Vernaglia is not starting. A black kid is starting in his sted. Can someone confirm or deny this observation? It looks like most of the young linebackers are white. The Notre Dame defense should resemble that of Penn State next year.

Moreover, I would like to point out that Penn State has has two white four star WR's comming in next year. Now if they could just get a decent QB they should be fun to watch.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Sadly, I must confirm this. Anthony has played at least a few plays in both games but has not recorded a tackle.
The Notre Dame website has Mitchell Thomas starting at SLB ahead of Anthony Vernaglia for this week as well.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Here are some pics of Notre Dame's stars this year.

ffb678d1-c77f-4087-8af1-ff37a937ebfd.jpg

01f2ff1c-d450-4488-a336-63ab59397d2c.jpg

3a8e5f1a-bb8e-4748-a287-4f9c217333a1.jpg

152773a2-0c60-4d8f-b941-e27b20a50f1b.jpg

2473a17f-ba0a-4cb4-8331-bfaeca93eeca.jpg

399cc65c-ccd5-4b3d-a506-77092ec98106.jpg

f5aaf7ba-b22e-49e3-a536-e5d163f76321.jpg

e6c42a6e-69f5-49c3-bfe5-8089ee3ff394.jpg

5a595f71-daa4-4053-8e7a-df9411383954.jpg

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I love Zbikowski sporting the mohawk.This guy is so fun to watch.I like the confidence of the Notre Dame Players.They really believe in themselves and it shows on the field.I can't wait for this weekend.Michigan is no pushover.This could be one of the best games of the whole season.Let's go Fighting Irish!

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
is it just me, or is Brady Quinn awfully bowed up for a QB? damn! he's got some pipes!

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I bought a Notre Dame hat today for the first time. I almost bought one last year, but I put it off. To me, sporting a teams logo on your clothes is a big deal. It says a lot about who you are and what is important to you. This is one reason I have trouble with the idea of buying a jersey with another man's name on it. It just seems weird. The college logo is good enough for me. Anyway, I'll be wearing my new hat tomorrow after BYU's game is over.

hedgehog

Mentor
Notre Dame's defense is slow. Their lack of speed at corner and linebacker is hurting this team on the defensive side. I think their corners have cement shoes. I am sure if the linebackers or corners were white, we would be hearing about it non-stop every other play.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Good point, KJV1. The black corner just got beat again for a Big Blue TD. Zib can't do it all. The DB's are playing soft and slow.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Total unimpressiveness still by Notre Dame. I guess I shouldn't have bought that hat after all.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Notre Dame's brutal schedule is their biggest problem. One tough game after another. Today it went bad right from the opening series. I couldn't watch anymore halfway through the second quarter.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Michigan handed ND it's ass today. This blows both their National Championship hopes and Quinn's Heismann chances to hell. Figures the first time in 40 years I don't root for the maize and blue they post their most convincing quality win in years.

I really don't think this was a "caste" win for Michigan. ND is really not that white a team and their black players were burned over and over by Michigans black players.

And Weiss needs to lose weight. It's ridiculous for a big time football head coach to be so fat. Makes him and his team look soft.

Edited by: jaxvid

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I have thought the same thing about Weiss, jaxvid. Maybe all the teams will lose a game and Notre Dame will be right back in it. I guess I better take my Notre Dame hat off now that the game is over.
smiley4.gif

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Colonel_Reb said:
I have thought the same thing about Weiss, jaxvid. Maybe all the teams will lose a game and Notre Dame will be right back in it. I guess I better take my Notre Dame hat off now that the game is over.
smiley4.gif

Funny you should mention that Colonel, I found a Notre Dame hat and was wearing it myself today (really bugged some people around here) and I thought it was ME that brought them bad luck but I guess it was YOU!
smiley36.gif

surfsider

Guru
Speaking of fat coaches Kansas and Toledo featured a couple of biggun's...Mark "I can't believe I haven't burst yet" Mangino and Tom Amstutz. I chuckled to myself when I first saw Amstutz that this would be the one game where he was the skinny coach and just then the announcers said he had lost 50 lbs. in the off season. It would be real hard for me to take a huge toad like Mangino seriously when he was talking conditioning.

Im a huge Notre Dame Fan....

Totell you the truth,We are a bit overhyped,the offense is good Top 10 no doubt despite what you've seen yesterday...But the Defense is absolutely brutal.... No Pass Rush what so ever,Linebackers are awful... Zibby is All American Class but Wooden,and Richardson are the two worst Corners i have ever seen at Collegiate level...The Offensive Line are a bit soft..Ryan Harris is overrated on the offensive line..Sam Young has done well...and as for Darius Walker..ive never seen such a useless overated black running back,No speed..no Power.Its time to Get Luke Schmidt or Munir Prince in there.There is good news though for the Future of Notre Dame..Next year we could be starting two White Safeties in Zibby and Kyle McCarthy.The Offensive line bar one starter Sam Young will graduate and could be entirely White.I Like a lot of Irish Fans am sick of seeing our proud Team slumming it with overrated Bruthas.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
NotreDameIrish said:
Im a huge Notre Dame Fan....

To tell you the truth,We are a bit overhyped,the offense is good Top 10 no doubt despite what you've seen yesterday...But the Defense is absolutely brutal.... No Pass Rush what so ever,Linebackers are awful... Zibby is All American Class but Wooden,and Richardson are the two worst Corners i have ever seen at Collegiate level...The Offensive Line are a bit soft..Ryan Harris is overrated on the offensive line..Sam Young has done well...and as for Darius Walker..ive never seen such a useless overated black running back,No speed..no Power.Its time to Get Luke Schmidt or Munir Prince in there.There is good news though for the Future of Notre Dame..Next year we could be starting two White Safeties in Zibby and Kyle McCarthy.The Offensive line bar one starter Sam Young will graduate and could be entirely White.I Like a lot of Irish Fans am sick of seeing our proud Team slumming  it with overrated Bruthas.

NDF great to have you here. Man you are right about the ND corners, they were brutal. The 'other' safety seemed to play well though and the UM game plan was to stay away from TommyZ. Also right on about Darius Walker, I never thought much of him, he had a good game against UM last year and so Lloyd Carr was constantly talking him up, which is the kiss of death for any player, if Carr likes him he can't be any good.

Sure would be great to see a guy named Luke Schmidt running the football for the Irish. I become a diehard ND fan the day that happens.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
I have noticed that in the games so far the teams have not thrown the ball in Zbikowski's direction. That is a real compliment to his playmaking ability.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
excellent point, Leonardfan. it further illustrates the lack of talent around him in the secondary, though. ND's corners are not what they need to be, and their linebackers are not physical at all. or so it seems to me.

also, what's up with the Shark these days? Jeff hasn't looked his normally dominant self. i understand that opposing defenses have been paying him more attention, but he still needs to find a way to make plays, because that's what the great ones do.Edited by: Jimmy Chitwood

Weis' ridiculous pants don't help the situation.

Maye Jeff shouldn't have cut his hair.