NFLdraftscout .com 40 times biased?

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
First they changed Peyton Hillis's 40 time to 4.64 from 4.58 only about 3 months ago. This is way past when they edited any other 2008 drafted player's 40 time that I noticed and I look at that site all the time.

Now they list Beanie Wells 40 time as 4.53 when it was officially 4.59 from the NFL network and they even state the NFL network time in a their blurb below his profile.

They now list Knowshon Moreno's time as 4.58 when it was listed at officially 4.62 by the NFL network even according to their own blurb at the bottom of his profile.

And here's another thing. I can't get NFL network results for last years Combine participants, but here's a quick look on how many of the black 40 times improved via NFLdraftscout from unofficial times to "OFFICIAL" times. I just randomly selected a some prospects for my research. This is what I noticed:

Unofficial to "official" adjustments:

Marcus Thomas 4.6 to 4.59
Matt Forte 4.46 to 4.44
Felix Jones 4.47 to 4.44
Thomas Brown 4.55 to 4.51
Jacob Hester (white) 4.6 flat to 4.61
Danny Woodhead 4.33/4.38 at his Pro-day is listed at 4.4.
Only one black that I randomly picked: Mike Hart, had a 40 time that got worse from 4.67 to 4.69.

But virtually every black 40 time got slightly better where the white ones got worse; by an even bigger margin.

Some examples for WRs

Devone Bess 4.69 to 4.64: Significant listed improvement.
Danny Amendola (white) increased from 4.64 to 4.68
Todd Blythe (white) increased from 4.61 to 4.65

Malcolm Kelly ran a low 4.7 at his pro-day and "demanded" a new chance to run for scouts citing a slow track and than ran a 4.68; but NFLdraftscout ignores his pro-day result"s" and lists his 40 time at 4.64.

The only black I randomly picked who got worse was Adarius Bowman 4.69 to 4.74.

In 2007: Brian Leonard's 40 time increased from 4.49 to 4.52

I no longer am going to trust NFLdraftscout as a source for 40 times. I wish there was a way to get the NFL Network's list as they only list "top performers" and don't list "fullbacks" for instance on their site; maybe that's part of their agenda. If not the NFL network, I wish there was some "official" Combine list.

It seems NFLdraftscout is going through the extra effort to edit white skill players 40 times; even long after the fact ie. Peyton Hillis.

They also seem to sometimes ignore the NFL network's listing of official 40 times for blacks when they so chose or ignore a black skill player's 40 time from their pro-day subjectively picking what they think the player runs ie. Malcolm Kelly: bettering his time or
ie. Danny Woodhead: Worsening his time.

From now on I will only use the NFL network's official times that are the listed "Top Performers" and the unofficial times for the ones that don't make the NFL networks result list.

Edited to add: That last part seems to be another bias to me: Whites speed position players invited to the combine often run 40 times "in the middle of the pack"; sometimes a little slower, but NFL.com only lists "top performers". There seems to be less "white skill position freaks" as far as top-end speed at the Combine.

Of course there are many white freaks in other events.
A lot of this has to do with; as I said; white skill players being forced to beef up in the FBS for other positions OR not getting a Combine invite b/c they had to play in the lower college levels.

And many of the white WR combine invites are tall guys. The smaller speed freaks often play for less renowned programs.

Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

dwid

Hall of Famer
the only way to get an accurate one of the combine is to actually get a copy of it i believe. Its getting harder to argue for Hillis since they changed his time to 4.64, i am getting alot of people saying 4.58 was his "unofficial" time, i guess it took them almost a year to go back and find exactly when he crossed the line for the official?. Thats what fans bring up. Yet for guys like Moreno "track speed doesnt matter". Many people were suprised by the times this year, but i doubt anyone is going to remember the exact numbers. when they see 4.58 for their favorite athletes, they see 4.5, so a 4.58 and a 4.53 for Wells is still going to register in their minds as a 4.5 and they wont notice the change