NFL Pro Days

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
with the Combine behind us, the Pro Days are in full swing... so i thought i'd mention a North Dakota State running back who didn't get a combine invitation: Kyle Steffes.

[url]http://www.gobison.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=2400&A TCLID=74222[/url]

Steffes (5-11¼, 206) ran 4.58 and 4.62 in the 40, and 4.08 in the short shuttle and 6.71 in the cone drill. He also had a 32-inch vertical jump, a 9-2 broad jump and did 13 lifts. these numbers are right in the middle of the black backs who have been running thus far, yet nobody in their right mind is mentioning Steffes as a potential draftee... despite his standout career, his ideal size, his superb quickness, and so forth.

73810.jpeg

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
also, gigantic Nebraska defensive Adam Carriker (6-6, 291) ran 4.73 and 4.72 in the 40 at his pro day.
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
The other Nebraska DE Jay Moore also ran in the 4.7s, with a 4.74 I believe. Talk about athletic! Running that fast as DEs is very impressive. It's a shame Steffes numbers didn't stand out, because that was most likely his only shot. I hope he at least gets a look as an undrafted free agent.. But even still the odds are against him. Keep working hard Kyle!

whiteCB

Master
The bottom line is the NFL will never let a white guy be a RB if he runs a 4.6 like Steffes. Just ain't gonna happpen!

guest301

Hall of Famer
whiteCB said:
The bottom line is the NFL will never let a white guy be a RB if he runs a 4.6 like Steffes. Just ain't gonna happpen!
Have to agree with this. The white guy has to be near a athletic freak or have a bunch of guys in front of him go down to long term injuries so they have to give the football to him 20 times a game for half a season or so. That would most likely be the only way.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
"Steffes (5-11¼, 206) ran 4.58 and 4.62 in the 40, and 4.08 in the short shuttle and 6.71 in the cone drill."

If it were fair the NFL would evaluate white prospects in an overall way like they do with blacks not just on 40 times. This guy obviously has other gifts 4.08 short shuttle and 6.71 cone drill are phenomenal times, and as you were saying he had a standout college career.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

whiteCB

Master
ToughJ.Riggins said:
"Steffes (5-11¼, 206) ran 4.58 and 4.62 in the 40, and 4.08 in the short shuttle and 6.71 in the cone drill."

If it were fair the NFL would evaluate white prospects in an overall way like they do with blacks not just on 40 times. This guy obviously has other gifts 4.08 short shuttle and 6.71 cone drill are phenomenal times, and as you were saying he had a standout college career.

People like us think from an objective point of view. NFL personnel on the other hand think subjectively and a player has to look the position before he can play the position. Meaning if you don't look the position, like white guy at RB, then you better run a 4.3 flat to get any consideration. Life's a biatch for a white HB!!!

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Chad Schroeder WR Schroeder (6-0 7/8 182 pounds) ran 4.49 and 4.51 in the 40-yard dash. He also had a 35-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-4 broad jump, 11 strength lifts, 4.09 in the short shuttle and 6.84 in the three-cone drill.

Greg Olsen TE Olsen (255 pounds) had a 37½-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-11 broad jump and ran a 4.41 in the short shuttle.

Rhema McKnight WR McKnight ran his the 40-yard dash in 4.56 and 4.53. He stood on the rest of his numbers from the Combine (MIKE HASS WAS TOO SLOW LOL)

SteveB

Mentor
lumsdenpower said:
Chad Schroeder WR Schroeder (6-0 7/8 182 pounds) ran 4.49 and 4.51 in the 40-yard dash. He also had a 35-inch vertical jump, 9-foot-4 broad jump, 11 strength lifts, 4.09 in the short shuttle and 6.84 in the three-cone drill.

That time really surprises me. I know he ran a 4.37 40 last off season for some pro scouts.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
here are a couple more of our guys who really impressed at their Pro Days...

Brannon Condren, a strong saftey from Troy, (6-0 7/8, 208) ran his 40s in 4.49 and 4.47 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.10 and the three-cone drill in 6.94. He had a 43-inch vertical jump, an 11-foot-3 broad jump and 24 bench presses. The contingents from Jacksonville and Miami put him through defensive-back drills.

wow!
smiley32.gif
look at the explosion packed into this athlete! a 43-inch vertical, a broad jump over 11 feet, and 24 bench reps of 225-pounds! wow, again!
smiley3.gif
smiley32.gif

also, Eastern Michigan phenom WR Eric Deslauriers (6-4, 208) ran the 40 in 4.50 and 4.53. His vertical was 35.5", broad jump 9'8", 3 cone 6.60, short shuttle 4.18, and long shuttle 11.47.

pretty impressive for "an overachieving Canadian," eh?

White Power

Mentor
Any one know about Brian Leonards pro day when is it, and how did he perform. I am anxious to know his results.

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I read that Leonard didn't perform in the typical run and jump drills at Proday b/c he was so happy with his Combine performance, he did some other RB drills though for scouts.

backrow

Hall of Famer
White Power said:
Any one know about Brian Leonards pro day when is it, and how did he perform. I am anxious to know his results.

it has just gone and he only performed runningback drills.

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
as so often happens, DraftDaddy has provided more insightful commentary on our athletes.

DD.Comment: Former Oregon State safety Sabby Piscitelli was the only prospect to run a sub 4.0 in the short shuttle (20 yard shuttle) at the most recent N.F.L. Combine, but the Auburn Tigers had two players do that at their Pro Day -- Running back Tre Smith and linebacker Will Herring.

Herring, in our opinion, was a big time Senior Bowl and Combine snub. He is constantly labeled as an "overachiever" by the media, but how many linebackers in America could provide blanket coverage on a top notch wide receiver like Sidney Rice of South Carolina in the redzone? Don't believe it, go back and watch the tape of that game in week 5. We already knew Herring was an "achiever" and team leader on the field. Now we know he's a very good workout player, too. Obviously, N.F.L. teams will need to figure out were to play him -- safety or linebacker?

With more teams going to running back by committee, it would be nice to see a player like Lyle "Tre" Smith get a shot to stick in the N.F.L. He has all the skills needed to be a change of pace running back and special teams performer at the next level and when he was asked to step in and play running back at Auburn, he did a nice job -- averaged 4.8 yards per rush during his career and scored 12 touchdowns on only 137 offensive career touches....Brandon Jacobs was once Auburn's #3 tailback (before transferring) and he eventually got drafted and is currently poised to start for the New York Giants. So, it's not too insane to think a backup running back like Tre Smith should get a legit shot to play in the N.F.L. or C.F.L.

1543070.jpg

accoding to NFL.com, Will Herring (6-2½, 229) ran his 40s in 4.57 and 4.58 seconds, the short shuttle in 3.99 and the three-cone drill in 6.56. He also had a 35-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot-5 broad jump and 18 bench presses.

Lyle "Tre" Smith (5-9, 193) ran his 40s in 4.50 and 4.53 seconds, the short shuttle in 3.96 and the three-cone drill in 6.72. He also had a 37-inch vertical jump, a 10-foot broad jump and nine bench presses.

White Power

Mentor
Damn Tre Smith is fast never really given the chance to play he will make a roster based on his abilty to play special teams I hope only time will tell.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's an article oohing and aahing over JaMarcus Russell's Pro Day at LSU. At the end are two quotes about Russell's obligatory "cannon" arm:

"And as far as the arm goes," Thompson said, "he definitely got a little check mark in that box. It's remarkable."

Smith went a step further, saying Russell's arm was perhaps the best of any prospect he'd ever scouted in person.

"As far as velocity and arm strength, no question," Smith said. "I would have to search to find someone to put into his category. ... I just watched him and just thought about how I hope I don't have to face him the next 12 years in our division."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=cr-russell031407&p rov=yhoo&type=lgns

How quickly they forget. It was six years ago thatall the"experts" were hailing Michael Vick as possessing the greatest arm of any quarterback ever. This absurd hype is based solely on supposed "velocity" and "strength," but notice the word "accuracy" isn't used. What good is a cannon arm if it isn't accurate?

On NFL Network, Mike Mayock interviewed Russell during his Pro Day and gushed the same praise about him having the best arm ever. Why does it feel like deja vu all over again? I'd like to know what Russell's Wonderlic score is. He impresses me as having an IQ similar to that of Vick, e.g. a low one. Edited by: Don Wassall

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Boy oh boy, I can almost see the drool, dare I say slobber, falling from these Caste-garden tool's mouths.
smiley11.gif
How sickening it is.

White Power

Mentor
Russell will be a bust in the NFL. I watched him play against other SEC teams that play similar complex schemes like the NFL, and Russell would constantly turn the ball over make bad decisions and lose the game for his team. The Radiers will take him but he will be out of the leauge with in 5 years I predict. How he became the #1 prospect is besides me however I hope Quinn falls to the Miami Dolphins because they must get rid of Culpepper, and get a legitimate starting NFL caliber quarterback. It is almost sickening that Russell is regarded so highly he will be an afterthought on the busts of this years draft class sort of what Ryan leaf has turned out to be.

jcolec02

Mentor
f**k that, dolphins are too black for brady quinn, perhaps cleveland???

Lance Alworth

Mentor
I hope the Dolphins take Quinn if my Raiders dont (and unfortunately, it looks like we're getting Russel, blech!!
smiley11.gif
) Screw Cleveland, and I agree the new coach looks like he's gutting the roster. With the exception of the Welker trade, I like everything he's done so far

White Mike

Guru
Lance I think the Raiders might be going after Calvin Johnson. After Jerry Porter's departure, and a posibble Moss trade, the Raiders will definitly need to add depth at wide reciever.