NFL News, Rumors and Musings

Bruce

Guru
black privilege rears its ugly head again

Josh Gordon admits he would get drunk or do drugs before every Browns game

Less than a week after being conditionally reinstated to the NFL, Browns wide receiver Josh Gordon has decided to come clean about what led to his two-and-a-half-year absence from the NFL.

In a sobering interview with GQ, Gordon admitted that he used to get drunk or high before pretty much every game that he played in during his first three seasons with the Browns.

"I would have these little pre-made shots," Gordon told GQ. "I used to love Grand Marnier. I could drink it down smooth. I could usually drink a lot of it. But if it wasn't that, it might be a whiskey or something. And I would drink probably like half a glass, or a couple shots to try and warm my system up, basically. To get the motor running. That's what I would do for games."

Gordon said he also liked to smoke weed before games if he could fit into his drug testing schedule.

"I used to make a ritual of it before every game," Gordon said. "If I had already been drug-tested that week, or the day before the game, I knew I had a couple days to buy to clean my system. Even before I was getting tested for alcohol, prior to my DWI in 2014, I would take the biggest bong rip I could. And try to conceal all the smell off all my clothes."

The Browns wide receiver also added that he would smoke week with "a bunch of guys" on the team before each game.

"But we're not talking about them," Gordon said.

Gordon led the NFL in receiving yards in 2013 despite the fact that he only played in 14 games. Unfortunately for Gordon though, his addiction finally caught up with him as he ended up missing 45 games over a period of four seasons (2013-16) due to failed drug tests.

The Browns receiver was suspended for two games in 2013 and 11 games in 2014. The 2014 suspension combined a 10-game punishment from the NFL, and a one-game punishment from the Browns. Gordon was also given a year-long suspension in February 2015.

Gordon had a chance to get reinstated in March of 2016, but that fell through when he turned in a diluted sample on a drug test, which is the same as a failed test in the eyes of the NFL. If you include the Browns' first eight games of the 2017 season, Gordon has now missed a total of 53 games in his career.

However, that streak is expected to end in a few weeks. Thanks to his conditional reinstatement, Gordon is eligible to return to the field for the Browns' Week 13 game against the Chargers.

When Gordon does return, you can bet he won't be drinking before his games. The receiver said he actually did it so often during his first three seasons that he had it down to a formula.

"We would stay at the team hotel and then players are allowed to go back home, get what they need, and then go to the game," Gordon said. "So I'd leave the hotel early morning, go home, eat breakfast, do my little ritual, whatever it may be, some weed, some alcohol, and then go to the game. And then, I'd definitely be partying after every game, win or lose."

When asked by GQ how many times during his NFL career he drank or smoked weed before a game, Gordon gave an honest answer.

"Every game," Gordon said. "Probably every game of my career."

The receiver admits that he's basically been a functioning alcoholic his entire life.

"Highly functioning. For sure. definitely pushed the limit," Gordon said. "I don't know how I did it. It could be before games, it could be before practice, after practice. You see other guys kinda doing it, but I would take it to another level a lot of times. Feeling as though I was being enabled, I thought it was an okay thing to do: 'Well, this is the norm.' And it wasn't. It definitely wasn't."

Gordon said he's telling his story now because it's a "therapeutic" way for him to reconcile his seedy past.

"It's beneficial for me at this point," Gordon said of opening up about his struggle with addiction. "The more I get it out, the more I feel better about it. The more that other people know, the more I feel at ease walking the streets, without this target on my back. Without having to look over my shoulder. It's therapeutic for me."

The Browns receiver will return to the team's facility on Tuesday, where he'll be allowed to attend meetings, engage in conditioning work and individual workouts. Stating on November 20, Gordon will be allowed to practice with the team. Assuming there aren't any setbacks, Gordon will be eligible to play in Week 13.

What did Matt Jones do again to get kicked out of the league, drink a couple of beers?

Btw how did Gordon manage to go so long without getting caught if he was getting high every day? Aren't they supposed to drug test regularly? It just goes to show that drug testing in the NFL and probably the rest of the pro and collegiate leagues is a joke. Only the dumbest of the dumb manage to get caught. Maybe that's why Manziel got caught with drugs in his system. Not because he's dumb, he actually scored high on the wonderlic, but because the league was out to get him. Instead of giving him a heads up like they do for most affletes I bet they gave him a "random" drug test. I don't know how much I can blame him for that. His affletic teammates probably told him he had nothing to worry about it, and in their cases they would be right.

Last edited:

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Supposedly the Giants are scouting the top college qbs. They should give Davis Webb a look. It also seems like Eli Manning is getting a raw deal and becoming the scapegoat for a bad team. Sure Eli is no Peyton but he has been a good qb over his tenure with New York. If Jerry Reese remains GM it would not surprise me if they drafted the black quarterback Jackson.

PHillisFan

Master
Supposedly the Giants are scouting the top college qbs. They should give Davis Webb a look. It also seems like Eli Manning is getting a raw deal and becoming the scapegoat for a bad team. Sure Eli is no Peyton but he has been a good qb over his tenure with New York. If Jerry Reese remains GM it would not surprise me if they drafted the black quarterback Jackson.

If I'm not mistaken Eli needs 2 more starts to pass Peyton on the list of qb's with most consecutive starts. I think they will give him that before they go with webb.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hogan figured to miss at least one game, hopefully he's back for Week 11. Amendola is the last White receiver standing on the Patriots for now.

Chris Hogan (shoulder) remained sidelined at Wednesday's practice. Hogan is looking likely to miss Week 10 against the Broncos, which would open up more snaps for Phillip Dorsett, though the offense would likely lean more on Rob Gronkowski in a tasty matchup against a Broncos defense that has struggled to cover tight ends. Brandin Cooks would be a WR2.

Bruce

Guru
Miko Grimes referred to Derek Carr as a "bible thumper". He also got married at a very young age for today's standards. I remember hearing these things about Carr a while ago but it slipped my mind until I noticed that there's a pattern with a lot of these young white quarterbacks and skill position players. A disproportionate amount of them are devout Christians and good family men. These men are very rare exceptions when you look at Millennials in general. Overall they're not religious and they don't get married young .

I'm not saying there's anything wrong with being devoutly religious and married at a young age but it seems like you have to be a choir boy in order to make it to the NFL these days if you're White. I think that's ridiculous and unfair. Why is it that only the black players get to go out and enjoy the spoils of being a professional athlete? A White player who does that will quickly get a bad reputation around the league and may soon find himself unemployed. Ask Johnny Manziel. The most asinine thing is that most White players could probably get away with that behavior from a performance stand point whereas most black players obviously can't.

Bruce

Guru
Benjamin Allbright

✔@AllbrightNFL

#Giants source says he would be "Shocked beyond belief" if Ben McAdoo were to be retained as HC for next year. Says "[Players] hate him, no one trusts him...he's only out for himself."

3:27 PM - Nov 8, 2017

Anonymous Giants players rip Ben McAdoo
Posted by Josh Alper on November 8, 2017, 4:10 PM EST
870623466-e1510175398359.jpg

Getty Images

Giants coach Ben McAdoo strongly rejected the notion that his players quit during last Sunday’s 51-17 loss to the Rams, but a couple of his players shared their opinion that players have started tuning out the head coach during a miserable first half of the season.

Josina Anderson of ESPN shared conversations with two unnamed players who shared similar views of the impact the 1-7 start to the year has had on the locker room. One told her that “guys are giving up on the season” and “just don’t care anymore” and the other took issue with the suspensions given to cornerbacks Dominique Rodgers-Cromartie and Janoris Jenkins in recent weeks.

“McAdoo has lost this team. He’s got us going 80 percent on Saturdays before we get on a plane to play a game, it’s wild. Changed our off day. He’s dishing out fines like crazy. Suspended two of our stars when we need them most. Throws us under the bus all the time. He’s ran us into the ground and people wonder why we’ve been getting got.”

Safety Landon Collins has gone on record with the opposite view and Rodgers-Cromartie thinks players, not coaches, deserve scorn for how things have played out this season.

Anderson also reports that the Giants will be simplifying things on defense this week in hopes of getting the defense closer to last year’s success. Playing the winless 49ers should also help on that front and the grumblings about McAdoo will only get louder if things go the other way.

There's no way you can win with black players. If you're a "player's coach"(i.e. let the players do whatever they want) like Rex Ryan the players won't respect you, they'll be undisciplined on the field, they'll show up late to meetings/practices, and won't take things seriously. And if you're an old school disciplinarian like Ben McAdoo seems to be the players will act like rotten spoiled children, start to hate you, and eventually quit on you. That's why I have to tip my hat to Plantation Pete. I don't know how he did it but he managed to strike just the right balance between being a player's coach and a traditional coach. Or maybe he's just one hell of a sociopath who knows exactly how to manipulate his black players into playing hard for him.

I like seeing White NFL players who have culturally conservative traits, like Philip Rivers having seven White children with his White wife, or Carson Wentz using his bye week to go hunting in North Dakota and even getting shotguns as presents for his offensive linemen. That doesn't mean they have to be choir boys, but I'd rather see that than wiggers who kneel for the national anthem next to "da bruthaz."

DixieDestroyer

Hall of Famer
I like seeing White NFL players who have culturally conservative traits, like Philip Rivers having seven White children with his White wife, or Carson Wentz using his bye week to go hunting in North Dakota and even getting shotguns as presents for his offensive linemen. That doesn't mean they have to be choir boys, but I'd rather see that than wiggers who kneel for the national anthem next to "da bruthaz."

Ditto. However...having ethics, integrity & morals doesn’t equate to being a “choir boy”...nor does abstaining from alcohol &/or tobacco. For example, I don’t really have any “vices” per se (sans junk food here & there). However, I’d not consider myself a “choir boy” or ‘saint’ (as the world views it) due to my temper & propensity to swear when angry (...something I’m not proud of). :( Yet, like many here...I have integrity, ethics & Christian morals. :)

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There's no way you can win with black players. If you're a "player's coach"(i.e. let the players do whatever they want) like Rex Ryan the players won't respect you, they'll be undisciplined on the field, they'll show up late to meetings/practices, and won't take things seriously. And if you're an old school disciplinarian like Ben McAdoo seems to be the players will act like rotten spoiled children, start to hate you, and eventually quit on you. That's why I have to tip my hat to Plantation Pete. I don't know how he did it but he managed to strike just the right balance between being a player's coach and a traditional coach. Or maybe he's just one hell of a sociopath who knows exactly how to manipulate his black players into playing hard for him.

McAdoo strikes me not as any kind of old school disciplinarian but as being in way over his head. There aren't any "traditional" coaches left; that style became untenable once the Permanent Cultural Revolution and "Black Power" and athletes being paid millions of dollars came into full poisonous bloom. Belichick comes closest, but even he's pretty gentle with his affletes albeit cold-blooded in moving on from those he sees as distractions and underachievers. Successful head coaches now are the ones who best understand the black psyche and can use different tactics to motivate them better than their coaching peers. Whites are almost always self-motivated team players, so as always everything is geared toward pandering toward the large black majority.

wile

Master
Belichick narrated a very good documentary on the Normandy battles where his dad was 82nd Airborne I believe. I think he has that rare combination of culturally conservative while understanding blacks, and he also lucked into Brady.

Thrashen

Hall of Famer

Aside from being a “man’s man” from rural North Dakota, Wentz is still dating his high school girlfriend to this day. Very cool!

http://nypost.com/2016/09/20/meet-carson-wentzs-girlfriend-a-perfect-north-dakota-relationship/

Wentz has been the best overall football player through the first half of the season and he deserves all of the success he’s achieved.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Coughlin had a reputation as a disciplinarian (and he became a well established caste follower with the Giants) and the Giants sucked under him too. Now it's McAdoo's turn to deal with the overrated "football" players that Giants GM Jerry Reese brings in. The Giants are a team that was built around an effeminate WR who the media has hyped up to ridiculous levels. They have turn styles at the tackle position, an overpaid defensive line, a terrible linebacker corps, a very bad secondary and have not addressed issues to the running game in years. McAdoo isn't to blame for this, he inherited a bad roster with malcontents, divas and an incompetent AA GM who is running the circus. I don't know much about McAdoo but he doesn't seem like an over the top caste whore so I give him credit for not backing down. It will probably get him fired because "the inmates run the prison" but for him to not capitulate to the coal Giants roster is something I give him credit for.

Bruce

Guru
I don't really associate having socially conservative traits with being a choir boy. Brett Favre is a big time hunter and a "good ol' southern boy". In his playing days he was also known to enjoy the nightlife along with some other things.He could stay out all night and still play his ass off the next day. He was tough as nails and truly a man's man. He's the type of role model that isn't allowed to exist anymore. White kids are only allowed two kinds of role models today; Blacks or Aw-shucks Whites

Bruce

Guru
Bridgewater 'looks better' than before injury
9274.jpg

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Teddy Bridgewater is "throwing better than he was" before his knee injury.

Bridgewater has been setback-free over the last two weeks of practice. He’s expected to be active Sunday, but won’t start after a 15-month layoff. It’s a conservative move with Bridgewater close to fully healthy. The Vikings have four straight wins but are a limited offense with Case Keenum — a game-managing journeyman on an expiring deal. It’s possible Bridgewater regains his starting role in Week 11.
Source: NFL Network
Nov 10 - 7:02 PM

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/368061/Bridgewater-'looks-better'-than-before-injury

The Vikings are on a 4 game winning streak and Weenieworld is even entertaining the idea of replacing Keenum with a guy who threw for a whopping 14 touchdowns as a full time starter in 2015. If Keenum is a "game manager" then Bridgewater is a game assistant manager.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
Weenieworld looks to be soiling themselves over the prospect of one of the most beloved black quarterbacks (for some reason) coming in and taking the job from Keenum. I hope that if the Vikings do pull Keenum they falter down the stretch. This goes along with the caste system fact that black quarterbacks cannot be labeled game managers.

NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero reports Teddy Bridgewater is "throwing better than he was" before his knee injury.

Bridgewater has been setback-free over the last two weeks of practice. He’s expected to be active Sunday, but won’t start after a 15-month layoff. It’s a conservative move with Bridgewater close to fully healthy. The Vikings have four straight wins but are a limited offense with Case Keenum — a game-managing journeyman on an expiring deal. It’s possible Bridgewater regains his starting role in Week 11.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer
Keenum's QB rating is a respectable 88.8 this year. And the Vikings have won four straight games.

Bridgewater had a lower QB rating, is coming off a serious injury and hasn't played for 15 months. It would be stupid to replace Keenum with Bridgewater at this point.

The only reason it's being suggested is that Bridgewater is black and Keenum is white. The mainstream media is leftist and has an agenda of replacing all white quarterbacks with black quarterbacks.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
good news for Blaine Gabbert

The Cardinals signed Matt Barkley. I've always liked both Gabbert and Barkley, two talented quarterbacks, certainly more talented than Stanton, who have never been given a fair opportunity in the NFL. With Carson Palmer near the end of his career and maybe finished after his latest serious injury, it would be nice to see one of these two stake a claim as the team's starter for next year and beyond.

Heretic

Master
Chiefs NT Roy Williams arrested on charge of domestic battery.

The 30-year-old Miller played four seasons with the Jacksonville Jaguars before being released March 12. He signed with Kansas City on Aug. 2 and has six tackles and one pass breakup in seven games.

Leonardfan

Hall of Famer
The Cardinals signed Matt Barkley. I've always liked both Gabbert and Barkley, two talented quarterbacks, certainly more talented than Stanton, who have never been given a fair opportunity in the NFL. With Carson Palmer near the end of his career and maybe finished after his latest serious injury, it would be nice to see one of these two stake a claim as the team's starter for next year and beyond.

The Cardinals have mismanaged the QB position for awhile now. Palmer has been a good QB when healthy but has missed time due to injuries during his tenure with the Cardinals. Since the Arians/Keim era started in Arizona in 2013 they have drafted one QB - Logan Thomas who was an epic failure and is now a back up TE for the Buffalo Bills. I hope Gabbert comes in and plays well - he did play well in preseason as did Barkley before he was cut.

Extra Point

Hall of Famer

Both Gabbert and Barkley still hold promise. They could both use extended playing time on a team with some weapons for them.

It takes time for some players to develop into a quality NFL quarterback. For example, it took Alex Smith time and now he's a top quarterback.

It would be interesting to see what either one of these players could have done if they were in a situation such as the one that Prescott was in last year. Much better than they have I'm sure.

It will be interesting to see how they do with their opportunities with the Cardinals.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Curtis Samuel is out for the season after injuring his ankle against Miami on Monday. He was a second round draft pick this year, taken after McCaffrey and viewed as having much the same skill set, so this helps McCaffrey even though Samuel showed every sign of being a bust when he played. The trade of Kelvin Benjamin also helps. I think Christian will see an increase in his touches going forward, and the Carolina o-line finally showing some ability to open running lanes on Monday is another encouraging sign.