NFL Combine info?

sunshine

Mentor
Trying to find info on combine40 yard dash speedsis nearly impossible. Would appreciate if someone can relay the news if at all possible. Started yesterday I believe. Good luck white guys. Show some speed and upset the applecart!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
As far as I know,the pro day workouts start this Saturday
and continue for around 2 weeks.The running backs will
be going over the first two days.We will have to post
the times of the athletes that we are keeping an eye
on.I am still hoping that Jesse Lumsden somehow gets
invited at the last minute but it doesn't look good
for him.

The combine was great for one reason. Maurice Clarett was out ran by 2 white fullbacks. They had great times for fullbacks but the one person i didnt see was Kyle from Navy. Why wasent he there? Anyone Know?

speedster

Mentor
Instead of being at the combine,Jesse Lumsden was attending a CYO dinner accepting the award for most outstanding local athlete for the Hamilton-Burlington,Ontario and surrounding area.He gave a good speech too,he's a well-spoken young man.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Thanks for the info speedster.Please keep us updated on
Lumsden.I would hate to see him turn into another Luke
Staley.He is incredibly talented and deserves a shot
in the nfl.I am keeping my fingers crossed.I kind of
hope that James leaves the Colts and they give him a
chance to be their starter.

KD52171

Guru
<H4>The Jones legend</H4>

One player whom we have been tracking for some time now is Arkansas quarterback Matt Jones, whose legend continues to grow.

After an impressive set of practices during Senior Bowl week, where he played several positions, Jones met with the media this week in Indianapolis. After many media members seemed to doubt Jones' 4.41 40-yard dash just three weeks ago, he quieted many critics after he went out and ran an unofficial 4.40.

Fox Sports.

This kid is the real deal if he gets his head screwed on straight.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That's great to hear about Matt Jones, KD52171. Welcome to the board. We're big Matt Jones fans here. He's simply an amazing talent.

A lot of guys run slower than they're reputed to be at the Combine. For Jones to run a 4.41 is very impressive. It would be unconscionable to convert him into a tight end, but this is the NFL we're talking about where anything is possible when it comes to white players.

Re the question about results at the Combine: An AP article on Maurice "The Turtle" Clarett today states that only the five fastest 40 times for each position are provided to the media, so I would think that the only way to get the results right away would be to subscribe to an expensive service but I could easily be wrong on that.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Imagine if a guy that ran a 4.4 forty could also play QB why that would be better then that Vick guy. If only there was such a fellow I'm sure he would be the first player picked.

Welcome to the board KD52171. You mentioned something about Matt Jones not having his head screwed on straight. Was he in some kind of trouble at school?

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Some more info on the combine.One of Matt Jones runs was
timed at 4.39 and the other as was mentioned at 4.4! No
qb has ever run that fast since the testing at the
NFL Combine has started!Remember he is 6'6 and weighs
around 255.That is amazing.The gutsiest performance of
the day goes to Receiver Chase Lyman.He is still banged
up coming off another surgery.He had doctors tell him
not to run as he had a medical excuse.Chase wants to play
so bad in the nfl,he ran the 40 twice anyway on a bad
leg thats not completley healed yet.Lyman still ran
a 4.50 and a 4.43 in the 40!If this doesn't get him
drafted then they are nuts.He wants it as bad as anyone
out there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
That's great to hear about Lyman. If that doesn't show that hedeserves to be drafted and play in the NFLI don't know what will.

The NFL Network has a two-hour show from the Combine. It's on tonight from 11:00 pm to 1:00 a.m.eastern time.They're showing the QBs, WRs and RBs running the 40. I just saw Matt Jones' second run and theyhad it at4.37!

kevin

Guru
adrian mcpherson ran a 4.7 fourty. that is after all this talk of him running a sub 4.5. he got beat by both stefan lefors of loisville 4.62 and dustin long sam houston state. steve savoy only ran a 4.6 but dan shelton of northern illinois ran a 4.4. One line man that stood out was richie incognito, he weight in at around 300 and ran a 4.9 fourty and benched 225 26 times. he hurt himselt though so that might effect him in the draft if it is serious.

I would like to see jones play wide out. he is 6-6 and 244 and ran a 4.39 forty he could put up randy moss numbers. He looks like a better athlete then mike williams. i think williams should put on 20 pounds and try out for tight end.

sunshine

Mentor
Keep up the info people. sportsnutz.com has some combine stuff. Matt Jones? I just hope whoever drafts him finds him a proper position. Personally i would like to see him stay at QB because it is hard to make adjustment to WR. Whatever--- teams have adjusted rosters--Randel el, etc.. to put "athletic" types on the field. Will teams go out of their way forJones? Not so sure. I would draft him but not as akick returner.Dan Sheldon is quick and may have run faster but he has been injured. Ideal kick/punt return guy. And Chase Lymon's numbers are impressive coming off an acl injury. QB's Alex Smith and Stephen Lefors have nice athletic ability at QB postition.

robcat

Guru
Matt Jones ran with the quarterbacks, although the NFL Network announcers kept saying things like "tight end" and "H-back" when talking about him.They did say his 40 times were the fastest everr run in Combine history by a quarterback. With that much dominating athletic ability, long snapper may end up as his NFL fate. (I'm only partially kidding!)

KD52171

Guru
Jaxvid....

He is a lil shaky upstairs if you know what I mean...

He sometimes seemed incoherent in games at Arkansas.

He is definitely a superstar.....He likes basketball more than football...

One of the top 5 athletes to ever come out of U of A in my opinion.

KD52171

Guru
I watch the NFL network also. Alot of good info.

I heard Jones ran the 40 in 4.39 also.Edited by: KD52171

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Matt Jones also had a tremendous vertical jump of 39.5 inches. That was five inches more than the second best QB. He also had the longest broad jump among QBs at 10.9 feet.

QB Stefan LeFor of Louisville ran a 4.54 40 in his second run. DL David Pollack ran a 4.69.

WR Dan Sheldon's second 40 run is now down at an official 4.37. Tremendous speed, but at 5'9" and white the best he can hope for is a kick returning job.

Chase Lyman's 4.43 on his second run, as mentioned above by White Lightning, is particularly spectacular considering he's coming off a major knee injury. He beat just about every receiver at the Combine!

kevin

Guru
someother prospects preformances.

Tim bulman DT from B.C did 35 reps of 225

Alex smith did 26 reps

dan cody had 32 reps

Louis Castillo a 300 lb DT ran a 4.78 forty and did 32 reps.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Matt Jones with a 40 inch vertical.That is insane.What
a athlete.If he isn't a qb then he needs to be another
Drew Bennett only faster.Dan Sheldon has always been
a hell of a athlete.He even played a little baseball
early on in college.Can you imagine how many stolen
bases he would have had!Lyman is the feel good story
of the combine so far.He could have dominated at the
wide out in college if only not for the injuries.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Who knows what these guys will have happen to them in the NFL, but its great to see them opening eyes at the combine. Hopefully someone with power will realize the double standard that is applied to white athletes and do something about it. Those are some great 40 times. Keep your heads up guys. Say it loud! I'm white and I'm proud!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Here's some other results from the Combine:

Of the 14 running backs with published 40 times, only 4 ran under 4.65. 4.65 is fullback speed, yet whites are strictly barred from carrying the ball both in I-A college and the NFL.

Some other QB 40 times: Chris Rix ran 4.78 and 4.70, Aaron Rodgers ran 4.73 and 4.81, Jason White (who's supposed to have no athleticism at all, weak arm, etc.) ran 4.90 and 4.89, Charlie Frye ran 4.84 and 4.81, Alex Smith ran 4.78 and 4.75. Jason Campbell didn't run, Adrian McPherson ran a 4.69 then suddenly became "injured" and didn't make the second run. McPherson, who left Florida State in the wake of a terrible year and a gambling scandal and then went to the Arena League, is getting lots of hype as a Vick type who is supposedly rapidly moving up mock drafts. Sounds more like a contrived attempt to have more than one black QB besides Campbell getting pub because there are so many good white ones again this year.

Of the 35 wide receivers I've found 40 times for, only 9 tied or beat Chase Lyman's time of 4.43 in one of their two runs, and one of those is Dan Sheldon. Let's see now, Lyman's tall, very fast, obviously tough working out on a rehabilitating leg, has great hands, a proven big play maker, and went to Cal so he's obviously no dummy. What lies will they make up about him to deny him an NFL opportunity? Probably just ignore him completely.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Even the odious neo-con rag The Washington Times sports section reported the amazing feats of Matt Jones at the "combine" ... 4.41 in the forty-yard-dash

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Matt and Chase both deserve a real chance at playing time this year. They can both make a huge difference wherever they go. I'm going on record here by saying that Jason Campbell won't amount to jack squat. Just wait and see.

kevin

Guru
tuesday preformers

Jordan beck of cal poly- he is an inside linebacker ran a 4.5 forty

adam seward of UNLV Over powering linebacker but his defense didn't free him up much last year. in the right system he would preform quite well. ran a 4.56 forty

Justin Beriault- safety- of ball state ran a 4.6 forty. i don't know much about him and get to see him play at all, but scouts seem to be high on him.

Sean consindine ran a 4.5 forty- heis one of my favorite safties iowa is goingto miss him next year. he sould be a second or third rounder.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Jesse Lumsden is expected to be at one of the Pro
Camps either in Arizona or California later this month.
This is great news as he can prove that he has the
speed and strength necessary.I really hope he opens
some eyes because we all know he should have been at
the nfl combine.Dustin Fox ran his 40 in the mid 4.4
range and has a 40 inch vertical.I really hope that
he gets to stay at the cornerback position.If they try
to move him to safety,he should either refuse or play
wide receiver.He would blow by alot of secondaries.
Let's hope he gets a chance like Sehorn did.