New Zealand hopes

mastermulti

Master
Here is a young NZer to watch. He is 19 year old David Ambler and he's just cracked 10.41 into a headwind. He finished a close up 3rd in our national 100 last night. He is a compact little guy with lots of leg speed and , most importantly, I 've never seen him overawed by the pressures of expectation. He always performs to scratch which is a quality many otherwise good sprinters lack.

and my new favourite is 23 year old Monique Williams who has lowered her Prs in the last month to 22.98/200 and 51.88/400 to post "A" qualifiers in each for the worlds.
She runs the 200 at our Nationals today.
Easy on the eye with a body to sigh for, here she is looking a lot like Katrina Krabbe.

Monique Williams

David Ambler

It's good to see two more NZ athletes to go with Valerie Villi and Nick Willis. There are only 3 and a bit million Kiwis and most of their athletes play netball or rugby (better than anyone else on earth)Edited by: mastermulti

white lightning

Hall of Famer
I have high hopes for both of these athletes. They both handle pressure very well and boy can they run. With a little more refinement, who knows how far they can go. I hope they both continue to progress and mainly just stay consistant. So many young sprinters run a couple of fast times and then either go into neutral or reverse for several years. You have to stay hungry. I see no reason for this to happen to these two. They seem headed to stardom locally and maybe internationly in the near future.

StarWars

Mentor
Sean Wroe is someone to watch. I can see him getting into the mid 44s this year, and maybe low 44s if he trains hard enough. It would be great to see him, Wissman, Licciardello, and Wariner all in the final in Berlin. I have a feeling that Merritt and Bolt will be there too, but Bolt is nothing more than a bronze medal threat.

greyghost

Mentor
watch out guys wariner will be back and back big time nobody should doubt his hunger this tear and i gaurantee u guys he will improve his personal record and hammerthe likes of merrit or boltand where the hell is andrew rock?

mastermulti

Master
The 19 year old Ambler after winning the NZ 100 in March. He's now down to 10.35 and falling.
Here is the interview followed by the race.. it'll be good to see him in Europe this season

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234791-2009-new-zealand-track-and-field-championships/165805-david-ambler-interview

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234791/164941

here is monique's 200. She won all three sprints and is also looking to a good European season

http://www.flotrack.org/videos/coverage/view_video/234791-2009-new-zealand-track-and-field-championships/166201-200m-senior-womens-final-sundayEdited by: mastermulti

albinosprint

Mentor
great post mastermulti! can't wait to see how this kids progress. keep the updates coming!

mastermulti

Master
I listened to the interview more closely and picked up that he's going to the world juniors . So just a little more improvement and he'll do really well.
May race Lemaitre in the 100 final??

white lightning

Hall of Famer
They both are very smooth. I like the power of Ambler. I just wish he were a little taller but you can't have everything. Please update us to their next races.