New football league?

jared

Mentor
Saw this on MSN homepage just now:
Report: New start-up league could rival NFL
The NFL may be the most successful league in the country, but that doesn't mean it's without competition.

Bill Hambrecht, a Wall Street businessman, and Tim Armstrong, a senior executive at Google, have decided to start up a rival football league, the United Football League, according to a report on the New York Times web site Wednesday.
For those worried that the UFL will lack name recognition, Hambrecht and Armstrong already have one owner lined up: Mark Cuban, the billionaire owner of the Dallas Mavericks.

And though the league is having a difficult time finding other owners, it appears Cuban is committed to the plan. The league intends to play its first preseason games in August of 2008.

And where will the league find the talent necessary to attract fans?

"(Former NFL coach) Bill Walsh used to tell me that the last 20 players cut from every team were almost interchangeable with the last 20 players to make the team," Hambrecht says.

So far, the UFL has decided to put teams in Los Angeles, Las Vegas and Mexico City. Cuban, unsurprisingly, is considering buying the team in Vegas, according to the report.

Maybe this could be a good thing. Of course we all know what the predominant racial makeup is of those last 20 players to get cut.

Obviously, this league will be predominantly black too, so I'm not sure how much of a stepping stone this would be should it even form. If racial stereotyping is practiced in high school football I don't think this will help our cause too much. However, I heard that players drafted below the second round of the NFL are eligible, which means all the overrated blacks will go to the NFL, and all teh underrrated whites who will never play may get a shot in this league. But again, that means the overrrated "underrated" blacks will still probably play over them. I doubt this league will even form, and if it does it will dissolve quickly. The AFL was the only true succesfull rival league and it was back when the NFL was on amuch smaller scale.