New Book on LSU Football’s better days

Deus Vult

Mentor
I read an article this morning, essentially a short review of a new book on LSU football's great moments of the last several decades. The book is entitled "Game Of My Life;" it's author is former Times-Picayune sportswriter Marty Mule.

The part of the review (by Sam King of the Baton Rouge Advocate) that made me chuckle was where he wrote of All-American linebacker Mike Anderson:

"Can anyone who was a Tigers fan in the '70s not remember the most magnificent hit by one of LSU's all-time great linebackers â€â€￾ Mike Anderson?

"Mulé points out Anderson stood ankle-deep in mud, half in the end zone and half out, and prepared to hit a streaking Auburn runner, Wallace Clark, shoulder high and square in the chest. The bone-crushing tackle preserved LSU's 17-9 victory over two-touchdown favorite Auburn in a game billed as "Miracle in the Mud" in the Morning Advocate.

"The event was just one of many goal-line stands involving Anderson in his illustrious career at LSU.

"There was no jigging, dancing, chest-butting, prancing or high-fives.

"Anderson modestly said, as the play developed, "Oh, God, I better not screw this up.""

http://www.2theadvocate.com/sports/5919606.html?showAll=y&c= y

What, humility? No jigging?? No chest-thumping?? No "look at me, me me...!"

Bronk

Mentor
Mike Anderson was a terror at LSU. Does he still have his restaurant? Someone told me he closed it before Hurricane Katrina.

Deus Vult

Mentor
Bronk said:
Mike Anderson was a terror at LSU. Does he still have his restaurant? Someone told me he closed it before Hurricane Katrina.

There were at least two "Mike Anderson's" restaurants: one near the river in Baton Rouge, and one in Gonzales at the Holiday Inn. I have not lived in the aea for several years, so I don't know if they were or are open.

The one in BR was excellent, though! We could use a "Mike Anderson's" in Shreveport-Bossier.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Ah yes, Bossier City, my old stomping ground! Glad to know someone who lives in one of the many places I have spent time in my life. How's Hwy. 71 doing these days, Deus Vult?

Deus Vult

Mentor
Colonel_Reb said:
Ah yes, Bossier City, my old stomping ground! Glad to know someone who lives in one of the many places I have spent time in my life. How's Hwy. 71 doing these days, Deus Vult?

When did you live in Bossier, Col.? If it was many decades ago, you may remember a time when the stretch of Hwy 71 that is called Barksdale Hwy (between the AFB and I-20) was not a slum area. South of the air base, south of the Jimmie Davis Bridge, there are some nice white-flight housing developments. South Bossier is booming, as is extreme northern Bossier City, all the way to Benton, which is where I live ('been here for nearly 10 years).

Shreveport finally elected a black Mayor a few months ago. But even before that, the white flight across the Red River, into Bossier, was an accelerated phenomenon. Bossier Parish is gentrifying nicely, except for those parts of the "inner city" that remain "in the dark." There are certain parts of Barksdale Hwy and Texas Street where whites don't go unless they own a tatoo parlor!

Col. Reb, have you been in Bossier since the Boardwalk opened?Edited by: Deus Vult

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I've heard about the boardwalk, but haven't seen it. I remember a few bad areas in BC in the mid-90s, but overall it was a nice place. I knew Shreveport would be getting worse off, but I didn't expect a black mayor so soon. I noticed that Evangel's football team has gotten a lot blacker too. I hope Calvary Baptist will continue to rise as a football power. I'd love to see another Booty playing D-1 college ball on TV. I knew Josh and watched Abram play there. I figured South Bossier would grow and I remember people moving North across the bypass back then too. I haven't driven through Bossier since December 2003. You wouldn't happen to know if the old Oil City Restaurant is still open would you? Man that place has some good burgers! I haven't been through there since 1998. I lived in Webster and Bienville Parish, but went to BPCC in the mid 90s. Edited by: Colonel_Reb

Deus Vult

Mentor
FYI, Col. Reb and everyone else, the Boardwalk in Bossier City is a nice new development which has, from the day it opened, enforced a dress code that discriminates against "baggy pants" and the like. Oh, the local NAACP and "reverends" howled over the racist dress code, which only helped the Boardwalk increase the right kind of traffic.

On one end of the development is a Bass Pro Shop. On the other end is a country music mega- h*nky tonk and a bowling alley. In between are dozens of restaurants, retail stores, and a 12-plex movie theater. The trolley car is the only vehicle allowed to travel on the cobblestone streets -- except for the ever-present cops on bicycles.

The Boardwalk seems to be where the Independence Bowl visitors go when they are in town. Its a place you can spend an afternoon or evening and feel safe with your children.
Edited by: Deus Vult