NBA News updates...

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
Robert Swift, the first and only American-born white male to make to the jump from high school straight to the NBA, is out for the year after he blew his ACL in an exhibition game against the Sacramento Kings on Wednesday night...link

Swift, only 20, had earned the starting spot at center for the Seattle Supersonics. he is now expected to miss 8-9 months.
2002377069.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------
Fan yells racist slurs at him, Mutombo says</font>
Spectator in Orlando ejected; Rockets center outraged by incident
Oct 26, 2006
ORLANDO, Fla. - Houston center Dikembe Mutombo got into it with a fan who allegedly yelled racist slurs at him in the third quarter of the Rockets' preseason loss to the Orlando Magic on Thursday night.

Mutombo yelled at the man and gestured back. The fan was ejected. No action was taken against Mutombo.

"I am not going to take that. He was insulting my race, my family, my integrity. For him to call me a monkey ... that should not happen today," Mutombo said. "If I get fined, I will go straight into the stands the next time." (emphasis added)

Magic spokesman Joel Glass said the matter was turned over to NBA security.

KG2422

Mentor
I wish Americans were more like Europeans in some ways. Can you imagine Mutumbo running in the stands to take on soccer hooligans who were taunting him? He wouldn't make it out of there.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
After less than 5% of the season had been played in the NHL, ESPN felt compelled to do a negative story asking if the NHL was "in trouble" because of poor attendance in Chicago and Colorado's first non-sellout in 10 years: http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/news/story?id=2629188

I couldn't help noticing that of 11 NBA games played last night, only two were sellouts. However, ESPN isn't running any stories asking if the NBA is in trouble.I wonder whatcould account for this apparent discrepancy?