NBA In Trouble

foobar75

Master
I'm not a Bill Simmons fan, but this article is very interesting.

As far as I'm concerned, we're already in a depression, but I'm not sure if the situation is as dire as he describes in the article.

I for one believe it couldn't happen to a better and more deserving league. Everyone knows that without basketball, 90% of these thugs in the NBA would be selling crack on the streets, since they have nothing else to fall back on. It will be interesting to see how this thing plays out in the next year or so

icsept

Master
Maybe white people are getting sick of the thuggery and having no representation in the league. Oh well, barry will bail them out.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
If a true blue caste clown like Bill Simmons writes it, theremust be a lot to it. Pro athletes have been way too overpaid for decades. It's ruined the enjoyment of sports for many fans, not that there aren't many other contributing factors, not the least of which is the power structure's fanatical determination to degrade everything through forced "multiculturalism" and artificial black supremacy.

Teams should give actual head counts at the games. The discrepancy between announced attendance figures and actual attendance has become ridiculous.

The Hock

Master
On the NFL network they started talking about Albert Haynesworth and one hundred millions dollars. Sickening. I couldn't stand it. Click. I've gradually tuned out of pro sports the last few years. I much prefer college, and even high school sports.

Boxing is the only sport where I prefer pro over amateur.

Imagine. The NFL, MLB, and especially the NBA cut down to size.

So there might be at least one bright side to an economic depression.

j41181

Master
If any sort of major labor lockout happens to the NFL, MLB, and NBA in the near future, I would gladly welcome it. It would serve as a huge black eye and bruise to Obama's grand stimulus package. I can only imagine what Obama James will say once he realizes he's out of work for 6 months!
smiley36.gif

RBNY123

I always have been a soccer fan and soccer player. I'm glad this is happening to the nba i guess karma is a bitch
smiley4.gif
. I like the mls because they seem to be a fair league IMO meaning the best players usually play, and unlike all the other leagues in this country right now their attendances are rising, new stadiums are being built, and they continue to get new bids for new cities to add teams.

The NBA needs to contract and lower salaries. 4 fewer teams would make for better basketball. Each team should have 7 really good players. 4 fewer teams would help that.

if you have a bunch of deep teams of really good players (9 deep or so) then a one-man team wouldn't win the championship.

Maybe pro sports was a huge bubble and is popping as we speak.

oh yeah, the NBA plays 82 games which is way too many. 50 games sounds more like it.

j41181

Master
72 games might be more appropriate (like it was in the 50's and early 60's), and 4-8 fewer teams, for financial stability. The NBA has to realize it has expanded too much. There is a limit to everything you know.

foobar75

Master
pistol pete said:
The NBA needs to contract and lower salaries. 4 fewer teams would make for better basketball. Each team should have 7 really good players. 4 fewer teams would help that.

if you have a bunch of deep teams of really good players (9 deep or so) then a one-man team wouldn't win the championship.

oh yeah, the NBA plays 82 games which is way too many. 50 games sounds more like it.

I really like your bubble analogy. In the economic realities of today, it's quite obvious that we have too many pro teams. The easy money era of the past 25 years made it all too possible for expansion to happen across the board in all 4 major sports.

This simply cannot sustain itself and there needs to be a scaling back. The NFL has become an unofficial religion in this country, and it may actually survive all the way. I'm not so sure about the other 3.

Europe

Mentor
foobar75 said:
pistol pete said:

I really like your bubble analogy. In the economic realities of today, it's quite obvious that we have too many pro teams. The easy money era of the past 25 years made it all too possible for expansion to happen across the board in all 4 major sports.

This simply cannot sustain itself and there needs to be a scaling back. The NFL has become an unofficial religion in this country, and it may actually survive all the way. I'm not so sure about the other 3.

We could have many more pro teams if we didn't have college sports. Look at how well supported many college basketball programs are. North Carolina, DUke, Uconn, Indiana etc..It could have been set up like European soocer with several different divisions with promption and relegation. I started following soccer a few years ago and think it's a good idea. Look at all the college football teams that get 80-100,000 fans a game. There are 92 soccer teams in England. That's 1 for every 543,000 people. If the US had that ratio of basketball teams there would be over 550 pro basketball teams or baseball. Some of teams are relatively small, but it's there local team and people support it. People would be supporting there local pro team instead of college team. Look at Alabama, Nebraska, Oklahoma. These should be pro teams. These states have no pro teams, but they are treated like pro teams. The players could still make good money. Maybe not 15 million a year. Then the teams like the Cubs could be relegated and a different team could be promoted. Look at how bad the Lions are. Relegate them and have them earn their way back to the top division.

foobar75 said:
pistol pete said:

College basketball is popular. Baseball is on the downswing. NBA basketball could just become a niche sport like it used to be. NHL is probably better geared towards becoming a niche sport.

The NBA expanded too much and is way too hyped. the league needs deeper teams with skilled players and better fan support. a few less teams would help i think...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
The NBA should get the same amount of media coverage as the NHL. Less really, as the two leagues draw roughly the same even though the NBA gets at least ten times the hype. If the NBA was ignored by the media like the NHL is, attendance would be lower than what most NHL teams draw.

If the Depression continues to deepen, next season could be disastrous for the NBA (and maybe for other pro leagues too). The economy didn't start to really tank until after fans had paid for their season tickets for the current NBA and NHL seasons.

It'll be interesting to see if MLB attendance drops noticeably this year. We'll know things are really getting bad if a fair amount of NFL teams don't sell out for the '09 season as the NFL is America's secular religion.

P-NutLane

Guru
Its sad how I grew up with basketball as my favorite sport. But cant watch the unfair crap that passes as a ball game were stuck with today.

P-NutLane said:
Its sad how I grew up with basketball as my favorite sport. But cant watch the unfair crap that passes as a ball game were stuck with today.

I am 27 so i basically grew up with this sort of product. lots of good players in the league, but i feel that the game is too diluted as far as overall talent. plus only a few interesting, fun to watch and good teams have come along over the years. The J-Will C-webb Sacramento Kings and the Phoenix Suns back when they had Shawn Marion to go along with Steve Nash...

Other than race (although the league has been more black before since i started to really follow it) i can't pin down what the big problem is with the NBA.

I guess it is a general fatigue with all things "corporate" "overhyped" and "global."

oh yeah, that nasty depression ain't helping much either.

j41181

Master
P-NutLane said:
I don't follow the NBA as much as 15,10, and 5 years ago. The reason I still do is players like Dirk, Pau, and Nash. I'm still also waiting (if ever) for the next great White American. But with the way things are, I doubt it. And if ever Dirk, Pau, and Nash retire from the NBA, that's it for me. I think the NBA is still looking for a Jordan-like figure, and if they think it's James, how wrong they are. Jordan is Jordan (really special), James is just James, I still really laugh about his epic choke in the 2007 Finals. The fact he was also called LeBronze (2004 Olympics & 2006 Worlds)
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif