My argument for Hester on Footballsfuture

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
I wrote: Keiland Williams will likely be the starting RB
this year for the Tigers. He has loads of talent and is actually Nfldraftscout.com's 5th best RB for his college class. Could LSU repeat as champs? Losing Ryan Perrilloux will hurt though, I thought he was pretty good.

An LSU fan responded: Ryan Perrilloux hasn't been lost. He will be fully reinstated on Sunday and I expect him to be the Starting QB when Fall roles around. This team has a ton of talent. While we lost some key features of this team, the replacements for those guys for the most part may be better than the guys they are replacing. Dorsey is not replaceable!!

Keiland Williams is one of those guys. His skill set is much better than what Hester brought to the table but does he have the heart? That has yet to be tested so we'll see. He certainly is exciting and is a home run threat any time he touches the ball. I am actually very excited to see Richard Murphy get more carries, guy is electric!! Great hands to go along with his running ability. He'll be used in 3rd down situations and will catch a lot of passes out of the backfield. Those two will split carries with Charles Scott also getting a good bit of carries as he may be the short yardage back.

This team has as good a shot as anyone to get to the National Championship game but they have a tough schedule and will need for the young guys to step up. LSU may be a year away from being as good as they can but they will be scary, soon!!

I responded: To comment on if Keiland Williams or Hester are better: While I agree that Williams is clearly a better home-run threat and faster and more elusive. I think Hester is a "very" underrated tailback. I actually have Jacob Hester ranked as my 11th tailback not as a FB and he would be ranked higher on my list most years. This year is loaded at HB. I don't see any reason why Jacob Hester could not be a good power runner in the NFL in the mold of Jerome Bettis, Mike Alstott, Brandon Jacobs or Rudi Johnson. Maybe even the Marion Barber comparison would work. Hester is very powerful and knows how to grind out those first downs. He is a guy that could whip off a lot of 10-20 yard runs in the NFL also, but wouldn't have many 40+ runs in the NFL. You also would love to have Hester in third and short in the NFL, there is no better guy.

Hester ran a blazing fast 1.50 10 yard dash which is the same time as Darren McFadden. I know people say his 4.6 flat 40 time is slow, but it is faster than smaller Mike Hart's 4.67. It is comparable to two runners who have had amazing careers (Shaun Alexander and Jamal Lewis) who ran a 4.58 at the combine. Frank Gore runs a 4.6, Travis Henry runs a 4.61, former starter Mike Anderson runs a 4.69. Emmitt Smith and Terrell Davis ran a 4.6. Last year Tony Hunt ran 4.68, Michael Bush 4.62, Nate Illoa and Ken Darby ran over 4.7 in the 40 and made NFL rosters last year despite being 5'9 tall. Heck, even guys known as speedsters aren't always fast, but just play fast ie. Brian Westbrook ran a 4.57 and Lawrence Maroney ran a 4.56.

Hester has a great first step and is a load to bring down. Hester has great vision and has a 80+ yard run to his credit this season at LSU. Jacob Hester also posted better Sr. season stats at LSU than Joseph Addai. Addai also ran for 4.9 yards per carry like Hester, but for less yards. Bring in the fact that Hester ran without a lead blocking FB and often in third and short and his 4.9 YPC is amazing. Hester was rarely used creatively or in the option either, he just got the job done. Hester would fit well on his home state New Orleans Saints as a compliment to Reggie Bush, who has some trouble running between the tackles. Reggie would be the home run threat and Hester the smash mouth guy. I think Hester is a great player and want to see him run the ball in the NFL.

BTW: Mel Kiper formerly had Hester as his number 5 tailback before the juniors declared for the draft and before the movement started gaining ground on draft sites to label Hester as only a FB.

LSU Fan wrote:
Believe me, you do not have to sell Hester to me. I would love for the Saints to grab him. The depth is not that good and they could use another power back to move the chains. I feel Hester will have a very solid NFL career. but Keiland Williams, when he puts it all together, is one of the top RB's in the nation.

I responded to him, as to not seem too pro white and have them find out I'm a castefootball member:

I would agree with you on Keiland Williams being a better prospect at the NFL level. I'm not so sure in college though. In the NFL the tackling is better and the LBs and DEs stronger on average and Hester will find it much harder to break those tackles.

In the NFL speed and elusiveness are more important than power for a RB. Hester only has average agility "for a RB with a big frame in the NFL" and will not be able to elude the top LBs and Safeties. Hester reminds me of Jerome Bettis. He has an "elite" initial burst and great vision and an ability to make those initial cutbacks and follow blocks, but has trouble making a top notch cut when moving full speed. He seems to be better at lowering his shoulder to run through the tacklers than around them. He can still rip off a 20-30 yard run that way in the NFL. He can break a couple tackles and is good at using lanes and angles to get the most yards out of his run. However, in the NFL behind an average o-line, Hester's 5 YPC projects down to the low 4s per carry.

Hester could still be a good power guy in the NFL, but I think Keiland Williams with his speed and elusiveness is much more of a match up nightmare at the next level. Keiland is "very quick, fast and elusive" and is quite physical for a smaller framed guy. I think Williams could project to almost a 5 YPC guy in the NFL behind your typical o-line; he is that good. I will be excited to watch what he brings to the table for LSU this season, I'll wish him luck; except against my Maze and Blue!

Another Post of mine in a Hester thread a month ago:
I disagree strongly. I think Hester could be decent "starting" tailback and a heck of an interior runner to move the chains. I also agree with Pack Attack that a team may take him as a third down guy, because he has such good hands and can complete the third and short; or in third and longer can catch a screen pass. I see a team like the Pats taking Hester to replace Kevin Faulk. Or a team like his home state Saints taking him to be the smash mouth guy to compliment Bush higher than the so called "experts" suggest.

Hester's 4.6 speed is slower than average, but sufficient. The average combine time at HB this year was a 4.58 40, not too mention all the famous RBs that run slower. Hester also has a blazing fast 1.50 10 yard time, a great 3 cone time and an above average short shuttle time for RBs. He played in the toughest conference in the NCAA for the national champs and posted better stats his senior year than Joseph Addai's Sr. year. Hester is a great up the gut guy, he's a load to bring down and he's quick and has great vision to cut back and follow blocks. Unfortunately he is not all that elusive, but all players have their strengths and weaknesses. Hester is a RB in the Jerome Bettis, Rudi Johnson mold.

It perplexes me why people don't see Hester as a HB, but I have my theories as to why. Just ask Tony Dungy, Don Bebee or Tom Lemming and they'll tell you what I'm talking about. ie Orlando Sentinel, Chicago Sun Times football stereotyping articles.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins