my all-NBA team

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
this post is for kanyewest who said an all-white team would have no chance in the NBA. i beg to differ of course, and i'll even take him one further. i'll put together two white teams, top to bottom(ie., a 12-man roster), and then you be the judge if they're good enough to compete against the black boys... on my first team, we'll be a run and gun style, and team-2 will be a physical, inside-out type squad.

Team 1: the Blitzkrieg.

Starters: PG Steve Nash, 2-guard Manu Ginobili,small forwardAndrei Kirilenko, at the 4 Dirk Nowitzki, and at center, playing out of position, Pau Gasol. On the bench: PG Luke Ridnour, two guard Mike Miller, combo-guard Bob Sura, forwards Vladimir Radmanovic, David Lee, and forward/centers Chris Andersen, Robert Swift.

Team 2: the Avalanche.

Starters: PG Kirk Hinrich, 2-guard Wally Szczerbiak, small forward Peja Stojakovic, power forward Brad Miller, and center Zydrunas Ilgauskas. On the bench: PGSarunas Jasikevicius, two guard Brent Barry, small forward Matt Harpring, shooter Kyle Korver, power forward Troy Murphy, and forward/centers Raef LaFrentz and Andrew Bogut.

you'll note that each team has a combination of veterans, rookies, role players and stars. just like a real NBA team, one ball would be more than enough to go around. there are no locker room problems, nor will there be any drug suspensions, jail time, or upstart music careers. i'd say that both of these teams could compete and vie for a title in the League. any comments?

surfsider

Guru
I'd take my chances with those two squads in the NBA Mr. Chitwood. What I wouldn't take a chance on is an all black team of NBA players in an international competition against white teams from countries(Lithuania, eg.)that have populations much smaller than say the Houston metropolitan area.

JoeV

Guru
How about a white American team?

Jimmy Chitwood

Hall of Famer
a white, Amercan-born team would be tougher to suit up, simply because of the lack of opportunities given to white American-born guys coming out of college. most are seen as having too many holes in their games, as if their black counterparts don't as well. but it would be possible. so hear goes:

Starting would be PG Kirk Hinrich, 2-guard Wally Szczerbiak, small forward Matt Harpring, power forward Troy Murphy, and center Brad Miller. off the bench, i'd have PG Luke Ridnour, combo-gaurd/forwards Mike Miller, Brent Barry and Bob Sura, and forward/centers Raef LaFrentz, Chris Andersen, and Robert Swift.

this team doesn't have a dominating offensive presence, but it does have an all-around offensive bunch, much like the old 80's teams where all 5 guys on the floor at any given time could score. double-teaming any of them would be disastrous, unlike in today's NBA where each team only has one or two guys who are legitimate scoring threats and most can't shoot beyond 10 feet. also, they would be very tough and rugged defensively, with the exception of Ridnour and Szczerbiak. floor burns and hustle plays would be the norm rather than the exception. i think this is a definite playoff team...

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Good job Jimmy
smiley32.gif

I actually didn't think a white American team would be any good. But that is a pretty decent roster.

G

What makes you guys think Ginobili is white? Being a Latin American
country, most Argentinians are probably of mixed heritage. Looks kind of
dark to me to.

Also, those teams would get killed at the power position. Why would you
start two centers on one team and two power forwards on the other
instead of, I don't know, one of each on each team. Not too smart for a
white guy are you?

Gary

Mentor
The dumbest White Guy would be a King in any African Nation! By the way Argentina unlike most South American Nations is not very mixed it was settled mainly by Italians, so your not to smart for a black guy are you!!
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
DUMMY!!

Bunnyman

Guru
Argentina, Chile and Uruguay are almost entirely white nations. They were settled by Italians and Spanish and had very few slaves. More Lithuanians settled in Argentina than in the U.S. The Indians in these areas were hostile and most died in warfare with the whites.

Most whites mixed with Indians (think Roberto Duran, Fernando Vargas, Jennifer Lopez) would not grow to be 6'8. Moroever, Manu would be at home in Italy or Spain, not to mention my neighborhood in northern Virginia.

Gary

Mentor
If they have that many Lithuanians no wonder they can play basketball better then the NBA's best or any nation in Africa!! Good post Bunnyman!