Mr. Outside: Glenn Davis

I enjoyed Roger McGrath's piece on Glenn Davis. He was a little before my time (born 1950), but as a football fan since childhood I was aware of Glenn Davis and Doc Blanchard. ESPN ranked the 25 greatest players in college football history a few years ago and Davis ranked 13th. You can see a 28 second film clip of Glenn Davis by a Google search for "25 Greatest Players In College Football."

The Heisman voters had the problem of which one to vote for. They solved the problem by giving it to Blanchard in 1945 and Davis in 1946.

I went through my stack of VHS tapes and found a segment from ESPN on the 1950 "Point a Minute" LA Rams. It has a TD pass from Van Brocklin to Davis along with the 82 yard TD pass on the first play from scrimmage in the NFL championship game with the Cleveland Browns. The Browns won 30-28 on a last-second FG.

There have been 3 biographies of Red Grange in the last decade, one in both 2008 and 2009. This is because Grange was the first football player to be a media superstar in the way we recognize it today.

To my knowledge, there hasn't been a book about Blanchard and Davis. They make for an interesting subject, along with some controversy.