Most overated player in the nfl

cxt7

Guru
I feel m.vick is the most overated player in the nfl. I have seen him play and he is a average qb at best, has terrible accuracy, does have a great arm. The only reason he can run like he does is because of rule changes in the nfl, could you imagine what john elway could have done if no one was allowed to touch him. Last time I watched a game on tv that he was in the announcer said that if the defense had 40 guys they couldn't stop him. Leads the nfl in fumbles 13, fumbles lost 6, being sacked 39, 3rd worst int rate 1 every 26 passes, last in nfl for yards per game 163.9, 4th worst completion percentage 56.8, only averages 1 td per game, bottom half in qb rating and yards.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
He hit it right on but it doesn't matter because he is the media's chosen one.Their dream qb.I think the media
is so bad that some still mention Vick in MVP talk.It is
the easy schedule and the Falcons defense as the reasons
that they are 9-3.Vick sucks and is way overrated!

cxt7 - you are correct in your statements. Hell, I even believe that McNabb is right there with being over-rated. He's on a team built to win the big one, with, eh, favorable officiating lending much a helping hand here and there, aided by suspiciously bad play by opponents who should play better by and large. But take away the rule changes ...

I'm wondering how Philly was able to skirt the salary cap in signing the people they did. If anyone knows, fire off a post.

There are a lot of guys who get too much press in accordance with their abilities. And none of them are white.

bigunreal

Mentor
Vick is indeed the Tiger Woods of the NFL. However, at least he does
have exceptional speed and running ability for a QB. He is a mediocre,
erratic passer and turnover prone, but one 20 yard run is all he needs
to get the wanna-be comedians on ESPN to ooh and aah. Ray "Killer"
Lewis is the defensive equivalent of Vick. Incredibly overhyped and
held in awe by all jock-sniffers in the media, this guy is not even the
best player on his own defense. Watch a Ravens game sometime (I know-
it's pretty hard to deal with that kind of boredom), and count how many
tackles he actuallly makes. Then read the official stats afterwards;
they are always greatly inflated. Apparently, Lewis is credited with a
tackle if he gets a hand on the offensive player. Then there is
Keyshawn Johnson. This clown has almost never even been the best WR on
his TEAM in any of his years in the NFL, yet the media treat him as if
he's in a class with Harrison, Moss and Owens. His stats are shockingly
mediocre, yet there are idiotic sports "journalists" who thnk he might
make the Hall Of Fame. It's incredible what a loud, stupid voice and
the right skin color will do for your career.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Vick is horrible as a QB. His only asset is his ability to break off long gains on busted pass plays. In close games that is enough. Culpepper and McNabb do the same thing. Break off long runs that turn games around. I've seen both of these guys run 30 yards untouched because for some reason the defense never covers for that type of play.

I recently called in to the local sports talk radio to chime in about the Lions QB situation. Joey Harrington is under fire because he sucks. The host was ridiculing his back-up Mike McMahon as not being a capable replacement. McMahon, for those that don't know, is a tremendous athlete who ran a 4.45 at the NFL combines and has a super strong arm. Is he erratic--yea, like Vick! So I tell the guy that McMahon should be given a chance becasue he can make things happen with his speed. Ala Vick or Culpepper (who just kills the Lions with his scrambling two games a year). The host went off on me saying yeah maybe Mcmahon has "good sideline-to-sideline" speed (whatever that is?) and a cannon arm but he isn't accurate (the same complaint you can make about Vick or Harrington for that matter). Maybe they should switch him to wide receiver was his suggestion.

Yeah right, switch the white QB to WR that'll get him some playing time! I should have mentioned Steve Young instead of Vick. Media figures think in terms of similar race players and he might have been more sympathetic. Anyway this guy cut me off and ranted on about what I had said for the next ten minutes.

JD074

Master
Vick is obviously fast, but McNabb, Culpepper, and
McNair don't look like track athletes, that's for sure.
I'm sure there are plenty of white QBs, like Jake
Plummer, for example, who could outrun them if they
wanted to. And I wonder if Vick's running would be
enough to win if he had a defense like Indianapolis
or Green Bay to work around. He might be 3-9
instead of 9-3. I wonder how much he would
flounder if he were the Colts' QB, with all those wide
receivers and tight ends to throw to- and with that
defense that he would have to overcome....

Interestingly, ESPN has been asking, "Why aren't we
paying more attention to Atlanta?" And "are they the
worst 9-3 team in the league?" At the beginning of
the year, it was nothing but Michael Vick hype. He's
the best player in the NFL, he's the most exciting
player in the NFL, he's the most important player to
his team, etc. Unless ESPN isn't representative of
the sports media at large, they seemed to have
cooled off on Vick for now. My guess is that they
desperately want to worship him but are
disappointed with his performance this year. With all
the talk in the offseason about Mora bringing in the
"West Coast offense," the media was salivating over
the possibility of him becoming the black version of
Steve Young. It was an unrealistic expectation that
certainly hasn't come to fruition yet, and the media
has been disappointed despite his team's 9-3
record.

While the media prefers blacks, and are more
forgiving when they screw up, there does seem to be
a desire for a "pristine" black athlete. They want a
black to "represent" a league, to be "the face" of a
sport. (Not that they don't want thugs like Ray Lewis,
but they want that one Michael Jordan-type to be "the
guy".) Last year Lebron James and Carmelo
Anthony were "the future of the NBA", and now it
seems like it's just James. Anthony has done
absolutely everything wrong imaginable, and the
media has cooled off as a result- at least for the time
being. And while they will forgive him, he's not that
"pristine" representative that they want.

Of course you never know when they'll turn on the
Hype Machine for Vick again. We'll see...

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
There is one and only one white player who has been overrated and that's Jake Plummer. Why I haven't the faintest clue, but this guy has gotten continual positive publicity far above what his record deserves, including repeated corporate endorsement deals.

It started back at ASU, when he received all the credit for the team's success (while superstar receiver Keith Poole languished in comparative anonymity and then was royally screwed by the NFL), and has continued ever since, even though his career stats are lousy and he never elevated the Cardinals when he was there. He's been better with a much more talented Denver team, but he still has a knack for making poor decisions at critical times. I call Plummer "the white Kordell" as there has been many parallels between their careers and the respective hype each received.

horsehockles

There are just too many to choose from....Charles Woodson used to be my pick but now i dont here about him too much. Vick is my current pick for most overrated player. He is very erratic at best. The Lions are foolish for not playing Mcmahon. He plays like the "new breed" of NFL quarterbacks, but to be included in this exclusive club you MUST be black. Thats just the way it goes. There is zero tolerance for white "athletic" QBs in the NFL
smiley4.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
You're absolutely right about McMahon. That's the same reason Eric Crouch wasn't allowed to play QB in the NFL.

McMahon is a free agent after this season. Will be interesting to see if anyone signs him to be their starting QB.

JD074

Master
Well, according to the media, Brian Urlacher is the
most overrated player. Gotta put the white star in his
place, I guess. And when they're not ripping
Urlacher, it's Jeremy Shockey. I wish they would
leave Shockey alone. Other than his injuries and
the occasional outburst, the media hasn't paid
attention to him since his rookie season. He's not
hyped enough to be overrated. What garbage.

Kaptain

Master
The bears are 5-4 with urlacher and 0-4 without. I've seen him dominate this year and recently against the Duate Coldpecker and the Minnesota Vikings. He has had injury problems that is the only thing I can see. Overrated - try Michael Vick, Ray Lewis, after knifing people many now consider him the best linebacker ever!?, Warren Sapp, Charles Woodson, Clinton Portis, Ted Washington, Larry Allen, Jonathan Ogden, Etc.

Well Everyone For The First Time That I Know Of I Watched As A White Guy And A Black Guy Both Agreed That Everytime Someone Is Said To Be Overrated It Is A White Guy. I Was Watching Pardon The Interruption On ESPN And Both Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon Both Said That Urlacher Is Not An Overrated Player And That Everytime A Player Is Said To Be Overrated It Is Always A White Guy And For That Few Moments I Was Glad To That Those 2 Guys Had The Balls To Say What They Thought. Thanks P.T.I For Helping Out The White Guys.

Did you hear the comment during the Atlanta-Carolina game how Ricky Proehl has the most catches of any receiver in NFL history who has never been selected to the Pro Bowl. That's hardly a surprise. If we want to do an all under-rated team, Proehl and everyone else on it would be white.

Mr. Lutefisk

smiley7.gif
Wake up and smell the lutefisk...M Vick and Ray Lewis are the most over-rated player in the NFL. The first time I heard of Lewis was after he killed some people too. Soon after that he was worshiped by all sportcastersthen as usual by the brainwashed beer drinking probowl voting fans. Does anyone else notice how Ray Lewis has to celebrate after EVERY tackle he makes no matter how ROUTINE it is. Maybe that is what you have to do to get the fame and praise in the NFL. Act like your the best and everybody will treat you like your the best.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
More on the Sporting News article on how Brian Urlacher is the most overrated player. The article from Sports Illustrated caused a big stir this week. "Is Brian Urlacher Overrated". Urlacher is a dominant middle linebacker for the Bears who has been injured on and off this year. Aside from the fact that it is in poor taste to denigrate an athlete playing over injury it is also significant that Urlacher was singled out for this "honor". Brian Urlacher, if you haven't noticed, is THE most popular white football player that is not a QB. Urlacher's jersey is a popular item sold all over the US in K-marts, Wal-marts, Sears, Dunhams. etc. He is the ONLY white player given this honor. Aside from Brett Favre there is NO, I repeat NO white player with that kind of national grass roots appeal. So this sudden attack on him is suspicious in a caste football kind of way.

I checked the article (it was in my local paper today, I cannot find it online, the Sporting News offers it only on their pay siteâ€â€￾if you can find it please post it) and in fact there is a whole "team" of overrated players. By position: QB: Joey Harrington; RB: Kevin Barlow; Mike Alstott; WR: Keyshawn Johnson, Peerless Price; TE Jeremy Shockey; OT Chris Samuels, Luke Petitgout; OG: Rueban Brown, Damien Woody; C: Kevin Mawae; DE: Marcellus Wiley, Grant Winstrom, DT: Chris Hovan, Warren Sapp. LB: Urlacher, LaVarr Arrington, Zach Thomas; CB: Charles Woodson, Dre' Bly; S: Tebucky Jones, John Lynch.

So out of the 22 players listed 9 of them are white! When you consider the few white players that start and are well known enough to be "overrated" that is nearly 50%. Amazing. Also amazing that they could find a white running back and safety to be considered overrated. The poll was conducted among 8 pro-scouts. If scouts feel this way you can understand why the caste system is so firmly in place.

Burts

Without question, "Mike" Vick is the most over-rated. He is so worshipped by the media, I'm surprised they don't just come out and call him the best QB in NFL history. It would be interesting to see how all these idiots would compare him to another great running QB who didn't pass that well, Bobby Douglas of Chicago. I can just see them all sitting back and chuckling that anyone would even mention Douglas in the same breath with "Mike." But in my opinion, Douglas was better. I'd be willing to bet my next paycheck that there wouldn't be a single media representative who would hold the same opinion.

cxt7

Guru
Vick got the headlines this morning again despite a pathetic effort 11-28 passing only 154 yards 2 ints and 2 more fumbles (now has 15 this season) somehow pulls the W out of his @ss....

BeyondFedUp

Hall of Famer
If some of you do not know, the co-host of PTI, Tony Kornheiser, IS NOT SOMEONE "HELPING OUT THE WHITE GUYS". Kornheiser is someone who'll mindlessly verbalize and bumble his way through any broadcast; TV and radio. He in all likelIhood said it to sound "witty" and or "humorous". Media morons like him, (AND HE IS A MORON),are a big part of the problem, not an exception to the rule as it seemsin that rare instance. He is just another talking head in the major sports media empire who'll bow down and worship an average quarterback/running back who throws the football (like Vick). Why? Because Vick is black and that's how they want us to "feel" about Vick.Kornheiser does not qualify as anyone who'll do anything in the long run except hash and re-hash the same verbage and superlatives for the black athelete, and show the typical tendancy to downplay and disregard the acheivements of whites. You know the story. Kornheiser did nothing commendable. Even abroken clock isright twice a day. Edited by: BeyondFedUp

speedster

Mentor
Michael Vick,Michael Vick and MichaelVick.On Saturday he once again proved that he is a running back playing, or at least attempting to be a quarter.It was funny listening to the post game show on ESPN radio where the one of the commentators was gushing about the mighty Vick like they all do,but then he said if Vick plays like he did tonight they would not do well in the playoffs.It just shows these announcers feel obligated to praise this guy and are afraid to say what they really want.One more item on how the media overates this guy and that is when the football preview issues came out one of the mags rated the best all-time QB's for each individual team.Vick was ranked the best QBin Falcon history over Steve Bartkowski and Chris Chandler.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Watching the Colts-Ravens game, Jonathan Ogden, the "universally acknowledged" best left tackle in the NFL, deserves a mention. It's always claimed no one can beat him, yet he can't come close to containing Indy's Dwight Freeney in this game. But he'll be a unanimously elected starter in every Pro Bowl game until he retires. Once they get the rep they keep it, often long after whatever validity it had is long gone.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Ogden is way overated.How about a vote for Keshawn Johnson.I really dislike this guy and he is not nearly
as good as the media & he thinks he is.

cxt7

Guru
O.K. Sports illistrated says harrington is most overrated qb lets compare him to vick.

Vick 175-314 55.7% 13tds 12ints 2278 yards qb rating of 76.6

harrington 226-410 55.1% 17tds 10ints 2535 yards qb rating of 77.4

I would say harrington is a better passer based on those numbers,maybe vick was second on the list.

Burts

Let's face it, if any white announcer would have the guts to say what he really believes about Vick, would immediately be branded a racist, and his career would be over. We've seen it happen before.

What sickens me aboutthis whole caste system business is, there doesn't seem to be any way to be rid of it, since we now are living in the land of thepolitically correct.