More stupidity

Roundabout

I hear what you are saying Cutty, the Notre Dame mascot is a very cartoonish stereotype, but I don't hearany complaints from Irish Americans or Hibernian organizations etc. Here's my take on it. I'm from IL, I did not go to the University of Illinois so the whole controversy doesnt really affect me much. It is a very big deal to the alumni and fans of U of I. Its beendiscussed on localtalk radio a lot, not just sports talk radio, but regular "news" talk radio. My view is, why would any white person want to support a team named for an Indian? I've seen the Chief Illinuwek dance routine that is put onat games with a white guy playing the chief. It's silly and stupid. I don't get the appeal. Another example here in IL is the forgotten Chicago Blackhawks. I am a big hockey fan, but have no interest in the Blackhaws, who are technically my "local" team. The Hawks have a long history and tradition as an Original Six team, but I would never be a fan. Why? Because of the stupid Indian head they wear on their sweaters. I am sure it is offensive to the so-called "native americans" but it is offensive to me too. I dont care for the Indians and their culture, Im not one of those whites with these romantic visions of the noble savage.

Yes it is abunch of PC garbage that is forcing U of I to drop their mascot and that is very lame. Apparently the "Indians" think that getting rid of Indian nicknames and mascots will improve their bleak position in life. Maybe they should just lay off the fire water instead. Edited by: Roundabout

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Fighting Whitie's, I say!
smiley4.gif

Fighting Whities

932070_zoom.jpg

PitBull

Guru
I'm a U of I graduate. Most Illinois fans are less tied to the "Chief" than you
think. What we don't want is to be ordered around by PC commissars.
Looks like we lost. Now the PC sh*ts will just keep going and going and
going. I wonder if the new mascot will be Oscar Wilde or Eldridge Cleaver?

Roundabout

PitBull, I hear what you're saying about not wanting to pushed around by the PC fascists. It happens inso manyareas at schools, from the clasroom to the dorm to the athletic field. I respect that alumni and current students have a lot of strong feelings about preserving U of I heritage. Naturally, these days the PC forces do everything they can to destroy any traditions they deem unacceptable. Edited by: Roundabout

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
I wonder how much longer it will be before my Alma-Mater, Delta State, is jumped on for their white Statesman mascot. He looksjust like a young Colonel Reb except dressed in green and white.

Statesman.jpg

Roundabout

I have seen one of those Fighting Whites t-shirts before. This "American Indian" guy (actually he was technically a half breed, but sided with the Indian half) I knew was wearing one once. I guess it's their way of fighting back. Not quite as effective as tomahawks, but I guess they do what they can.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Fighting back? It completely backfired on them. They expected white people to be upset, but instead everybody loved their name and mascot. They were inundated with calls for T-shirts and Fighting Whites paraphernalia. It was covered extensively in the media when it first came out.

The team set up a Cafe Press account to handle the merchandise, with all the proceeds going to a scholarship fund for Native Americans.

I thought it hilarious that their idea backfired on them. I personally love the name and the logo.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Ground Fighter,
Check the link in that post. It's to a wiki entry but they have a link there for the official Cafe Press store where you can buy Fighting Whites merchandise.