Montreal Canadians

C Darwin

Mentor
Tonight the once storied franchise of the Montreal Canadians lost to the blue jerseys of the Toronto Mapleleafs 5-1. the best defenseman in the league, Brian McCabe Had 2 goals and an assist. Don Cherry was very pleased with his performance. McCabe will someday pass Larry Robinson in points. I would imagine it must be tough to be a Canadians fan. Patrick Roy was never as good as Johnny Bower. Guy LaFleur could never play as well as Darryl Sittler. Montreal had their run, but Toronto has established themselves as the best team in Eastern Canada.

Do you think that the Canadians will hire another coach that can't read?

Nos bras meurtris vous tendent le flambeau, à vous toujours de le porter bien hautEdited by: C Darwin

Realgeorge

Mentor
Hi Darwin,

As an American hockey fan I've always enjoyed the sizzling rivalry between Leafs and Canadiens' fans. No more savage sports hatreds can be found in the world except perhaps English football.

The Leafs look good this year and have a less stubborn coach and healthier lineup. Go Leafs! Saw Borje Salming's number retired some weeks ago, was on NHL Center Ice from CBC. I thought the 10-0 Leafs from 1997 (97 or 98 Darwin?) had a great shot at the cup but they wilted down the stretch.

I attended the Capitals-Rangers game in DC the other night. On hand were dozens of Yarmulkes!! adorning the heads of Jewish males who drove down from their Long Island split-levels to get a scarce Rangers' ticket. Lots of angry Ranger fans booed as their team, tired from 3 games in 4 days, couldn't solve the hot goaltender Kolzig

lumsdenpower

Mentor
We lost this game by the fault of David Aebisher..Our best goaler is Cristobal Huet from France..But our coach want a system for 2 goaler..

speedster

Mentor
Is that just a Darwinian theory that Guy Lafleur could never play as well Darryl Sittler? It better be.

C Darwin

Mentor
speedster said:
Is that just a Darwinian theory that Guy Lafleur
could never play as well Darryl Sittler? It better be.
No, I'm just trying to make lumsdenpower crazy.

lumsdenpower

Mentor
Guy Lafleur is better than Sittler
smiley2.gif

Lafleur is probably in the 10 best player of hockey in all-time..
He could take the puck behind our goaltender and shake all skaters in his way and score..What a player he was..

C Darwin

Mentor
Guy never scored 10 points in one game, but Darryl Sittler did.

smiley32.gif

Doug Gilmour and Wendel Clark are better than Guy also.
smiley4.gif

speedster

Mentor
Sittler never won a scoring title or league mvp or a Stanley Cup or was a first team all-star.C'est la vie.

C Darwin

Mentor
You want leafs with trophies? How about Tim Horton?
p1863878nm.jpg

C Darwin

Mentor
Link

The lasting memory of the 1976 Canada Cup is of Darryl Sittler scoring the winning goal of the first overtime period, giving Team Canada the inaugural championship. Sittler broke in off the left wing and - following the advice of assistant coach Don Cherry - faked a booming slap shot causing Dzurilla to fall to his knees. Once the star goalie was down, Sittler skated by and popped the puck into the wide open night.

speedster

Mentor
The only thing Timmy will be remembered for is his chain of donut shops.If I was to list Les Canadiens trophie winners I'd have to make several posts.

speedster

Mentor
Don Cherry is also the same fool who was called for too many men on the ice in game seven on May 11,1979 against Les Glorieux and guess who tied it with a wicked slapshot.

Realgeorge

Mentor
Le tir et le but !!

Gents it's most enjoyable hearing real hockey fans with real teams spar with one another! RDS carried the Habs last night (Jacques Demers on the microphone) as they spanked Les Thrashers d'Atlanta. Hearing a Habs game en Francais is a real treat. Most hockey announcers put me to sleep (the Penguins announcers practically sleepwalk through each game).

Would LOVE to see a Toronto-Montreal playoff series! Just like 1967

speedster

Mentor
Those were interesting low-lites for Sittler and his Leafs it's too bad none of those "great" goals gave them any Cups,I think it's 40 years and counting.

speedster

Mentor
Well,Realgeorge I would like to see a more current Montreal-Toronto playoff series just like 1978 when the Habs won 4-0 or the last time these franchises met the following year in 1979 when the Habs won again 4-0.A two year skunking where the great Guy had a combined 7 goals and 9 assists,an average of 2 points a game.Not sure what Sit got but nothing close to Flowers numbers.Head to head Lafleur comes out on top again.

C Darwin

Mentor
Guy Lafleur is not even the best FC to ever play professional hockey
in the Province of Quebec. Bow to the god of FC hockey!
smiley20.gif

GouletQ.jpg

white is right

Hall of Famer
Goulet couldn't hold a candle to Lafleur, Believeau or Richard. I could name others but I'm too tired..
smiley36.gif

C Darwin

Mentor
Michel Goulet
NHL Totals
GP 1089
G548
A604
PTS1152

Guy LaFleur
NHL Totals
GP1127
G560
A793
PTS1353
person-holding-candle.jpg

C Darwin

Mentor
The Maple Leafs defeated the Canadiens 6-5 to move into the 8th spot in the East and eliminate Montreal. Toronto needs an Islanders' loss on Sunday to clinch the final spot in the East.

I would like to issue a request for comment on the following statement regarding the Toronto Maple Leafs.

Does Toronto Get the calls? Or does Toronto get the calls?

smiley36.gif