Money ball ironies

referendum

Mentor
One irony of the success of Billy Beane and the Oakland A's is that the brand of unselfish, team oriented, walk oriented hitting that is A's baseball means that whites play key roles on the team, with very few blacks, though some Latins of differing ethnicities. What I find ironic is that the team is, I believe, owned by Jews who are probably quite liberal. I believe the Haas family owns the team, or did until recently, and yet they are showing some pragmatism, going for the free market, win oriented brand of baseball, on a low budget. Conversely, the San Francisco Giants are owned by a committee of owners, the leader of whom is Macgowan, and yet they play the antithesis of money ball, few walks, lots of free swinging latins. (though to be fair, Barry Bonds was a great walker in the last few years, though those years were likely tarnished by use of artificial substances).

Weltner

Guru
referendum said:
One irony of the success of Billy Beane and the
Oakland A's is that the brand of unselfish, team oriented, walk
oriented hitting that is A's baseball means that whites play key roles
on the team, with very few blacks, though some Latins of differing
ethnicities. What I find ironic is that the team is, I believe,
owned by Jews who are probably quite liberal. I believe the Haas family
owns the team, or did until recently, and yet they are showing some
pragmatism, going for the free market, win oriented brand of baseball,
on a low budget. Conversely, the San Francisco Giants are owned
by a committee of owners, the leader of whom is Macgowan, and yet they
play the antithesis of money ball, few walks, lots of free swinging
latins. (though to be fair, Barry Bonds was a great walker in the last
few years, though those years were likely tarnished by use of
artificial substances).

Now,if only they can win it all. I don't get it,why can't they even make it past the 1st round?They should have at least won one</span> lousy pennant through the last 6 years....

Bart

Hall of Famer
referendum said:
few walks, lots of free swinging latins. (though to be fair, Barry Bonds was a great walker in the last few years,

Bonds did have a lot of walks, not because of his eye or discipline. The opponent's strategy was to take the bat out of his hands by intentionally walking him.

JoeV

Guru
Bonds obiviously has inflated stats because of the roids, nonetheless he is still an excellent ballplayer. Without steroids/hype is in on a Chipper Jones type level.