Mollo, Mesi, Fields and Minto in action

referendum

Mentor
According to various internet sources such as wikipedia, boxrec.com and others, the top US white heavyweights are in action over the next month. On July 7th, tomorrow, Mike Mollo takes on Ralph West. Joe Mesi takes on an unnamed opponent on July 27th, Tye Fields an unnamed opponent on August 8th. Also, one source, can't remember which one, had Brian Minto fighting Ray Lunsford on July 27th.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
I've almost given up on Tye Fields as he fights so infrequently. He just might be the best American heavyweight though. I'd love to see him fight Rahman or Briggs.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Fields is fighting New Zealand's Kali Meehan. Meehan fought for the WBO belt in 2004 and lost a split (and very disputed) decision to Brewster. A step in the right direction for Tye. Let's see him go after Briggs or Rahman later in the year and then fight for the title in 2008.

G

Brian Minto is the best white american boxer. He would beat Tye Fields without much problem.

I laugh when people say good 200 pound athletes are still going into boxing. Of course they aren't. Brian Minto is the best white athlete in america over 200 pounds? Of course he isn't.

G

Liverlips said:
I've almost given up on Tye Fields as he fights so
infrequently. He just might be the best American heavyweight though.
I'd love to see him fight Rahman or Briggs.

I don't know what the story is with Fields. Must be something we don't
know about. He's been knocking around the pros for 8 1/2 years now and
going no place. I used to want to see him fight Valuev, a battle of
the giants, as Fields was almost 300 pounds a few years ago, but he's
lighter now. Yes, Meehan is a big step up, and Briggs and Rahman would be good opponents afterwards if he shows that he's got what it takes.

ww

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Nevada: I like Minto but I think the size difference would be too much for him against Fields. Skills wise, yes, Minto is better. Tye has great stamina and power to augment his 6'9, 270lbs. Not a bad chin either -- he took some great shots from Releford and it didn't seem to phase him. Too bad he is slow and easy to hit.

I have to say, I don't buy the argument about American 200 pounders not going into boxing. They do, but they are just getting beat by the European 200 pounders.

Liverlips

Hall of Famer
Ironically, I work with a guy who grew up with Minto. Apparently, Brian used to be quite the football player but chose to pursue a career in boxing instead.