Modern Era All White NBA Squad

tobyisgod

New to the site. Thought this might be fun. I am thinking for the 80s to current. Here is my best shot.
First Team.

PG John Stockton
SG Jeff Hornacek
Center Dirk Nowiski
Forward Larry Bird
Power Forward Kevin McHale

Second Team

PG Steve Nash
SG Steve Kerr
Center Rik Smits
Forward Dan Marjele
Power Forward Tom Chambers

Thoughts?

Notable Mentions:Chris Mullen, Mark Price, Kiki Vandewe, Mark Eaton, Kurt Rambis, John Paxon

Westside

Hall of Famer
Not bad picks for the two teams.

For pure atheletism I mention Rex Chapman. And based on accomplishments I would remove Rik Smits from the second team and replace with Pau Gasol.

tobyisgod

Ah great mention of Rex. He had a great NBA career and who could ever forget "the shot".Your probably right about Pau, I just hate the Lakers though ;-).

Rex would be on my all NCAA team as well. Might be a fun list to try and compose. Harder since we do better at College level versus the Racist NBA.

Manu Ginobili should be the backup shooting guard.
Toni Kukoc would be a nice option. Vlade Divac had a great career and would be a perfect big man to have.
Drazen Petrovic before he died was a really good shooting guard.
Arvydas Sabonis got to the NBA late but was still awesome. He OWNED David Robinson in the 1988 Olympics.
Christian Laettner gets picked on a lot but he had a very solid career and made the All-Star team one year.
Detlef Shrempf was a very good player; did some of everything for the Sonics.
Bill Laimbeer was a key player on the Bad Boys.
Jason Williams brought flair early in his career and a veteran influence later in his career. Same with Brent Barry.
And you can't discount guys like Andrew Bogut, Chris Kaman, and David Lee who are all playing at a very high level today.Reddick will pass those guys like Paxon and Kerr soon. Dragic looks like a combination between Nash and Hornacek.

So lots of very good players since the 80's along with one of the top three players in the era (Bird).
I would take the white point guards against anyone, the white shooters against anyone, and the white centers would do very well. Try to go against Sabonis, Smits, Laimbeer and Eaton. The only thing we don't have is that Jordanesque two guard. But I would take the best small forward of the era, two of the best point guards of the era, along with some of the best shooters, power forwards, and sixth men against anyone.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I think Chris Mullin should rank as the #1 shooting guard or #2 forward.
Rex was very athletic guard, but his career wasn't as good as Mullin's.

tobyisgod

Ah yes. Great reply. Do you really consider Manu white though? I like him but I don't know how I stand on that.

Bill Lambeer and Detlef. I knew I forgot a few. Laimbeer was the start of the Caste System in the 80s. They HATED him. He was the heart and soul of that team though. Detlef was such a stud in Dallas and Seatle. I true lover of the game.

I did not include, David Lee and the likes because they have a lot of playing to do yet. I agree David Lee and especially JJ Redick are destined for greatness. That is if JJ can get out of his team or coach.

What ever happened to Mark Price's of the world? Solid hard nose white point guards? We need more of those after Steve Nash Leaves us.

tobyisgod

jacknyc said:
I think Chris Mullin should rank as the #1 shooting guard or #2 forward.
Rex was very athletic guard, but his career wasn't as good as Mullin's.

I thought of Chris Mullin as a forward but your right, I would replace Steve Kerr and put Mullin in there.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I think my 1st team would be:
Steve Nash
Larry Bird
Dirk Nowitski
Manu Ginobili
Kevin McHale

2nd team:
John Stockton
Chris Mullin
Pau Gasol
Jeff Hornacek
Tom Chambers

The center position has changed a lot since the 80s. Rik Smits and Jack Sikma were great, play-in-the-post type centers.

tobyisgod

Interesting. Why Steve Nash over John Stockton? Is Manu considered white?

I already voiced my bias against Pau! ;-)

j41181

Master
1st Team
John Stockton
Manu Ginobili
Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Larry Bird

2nd Team
Steve Nash
Drazen Petrovic
Bill Laimbeer
Kevin McHale
Chris Mullin

3rd Team
Mark Price
Jeff Hornacek
Jack Sikma
Tom Chambers
Detlef Schrempf

Notable Mention
Vlade Divac
Rik Smits
Dan Majerle
Rex Chapman
Tom Gugliotta
Christian Laettner
Kiki Vandeweghe
Toni Kukoc
Peja Stojakovic
Keith Van Horn

tobyisgod

Ah Tom Gugliotta. This one especially hits home being a Golden State Fan. The thug Chris Weber trade. Nice one. I forgot Danny Ainge too. I would have him at least second team.

Is it just me or is it a shame that there are so many white europeans instead of white Americans? I would rather have the former instead of the alternative but what has happened to the Americans!?

Great replies. Keep them coming!

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
I'm glad that there's at least white Europeans, otherwise there would be very few white players at all.
But I think that Europeans have more chance to develop than their white counterparts in the States.
They are not working against a caste system there. They can learn the fundamentals, team ball, and work on their skills without having to deal with all the street ballers and coaches who droll over them.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
j41181 said:
1st Team
John Stockton
Manu Ginobili
Pau Gasol
Dirk Nowitzki
Larry Bird

This would be a pretty amazing team.
It seems that we all have a bit of a bias for today's players, which is understandable.
It's hard to remember how good some of these guys from the 80s were.

tobyisgod

jacknyc said:
I'm glad that there's at least white Europeans, otherwise there would be very few white players at all.
But I think that Europeans have more chance to develop than their white counterparts in the States.
They are not working against a caste system there. They can learn the fundamentals, team ball, and work on their skills without having to deal with all the street ballers and coaches who droll over them.

Great answer and yes makes sense. I completely agree but I love to see the American first. Love Dirk, Peja, Steve Nash, etc.....but would love to see David Lee, JJ Redick, Tyler H and others do equally as well.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
tobyisgod said:
Interesting. Why Steve Nash over John Stockton? Is Manu considered white?
<div> </div>
<div>I already voiced my bias against Pau! ;-)</div>

Manu is definitely white.

It's hard to remember how good John Stockton was.
I think Steve is a little more versatile and disrupts defenses more than John.
His scoring average is better, but John has a better assist average. Both may just be a function of who they played with. John had Karl Malone to go to his entire career. Steve has had Amare, but he's not in Karl's league.
I think Steve has done a little more with lesser teammates.
I could be wrong though. Like I said it's hard to remember John. Steve Nash I see on TV all the time these days.

tobyisgod

jacknyc said:
j41181 said:
1st Team
John Stockton
Kevin McHale
Danny Ainge
Dirk Nowitzki
Larry Bird

Off the bench

Dan Marjole
Steve Nash
Chris Mullin
Detlef Schremph

This would be a pretty amazing team.
It seems that we all have a bit of a bias for today's players, which is understandable.
It's hard to remember how good some of these guys from the 80s were.

OK. I did some substituting but........

How would this fantasy team do in todays NBA? Could they beat the Lakers or Celtics in the finals?

Man would I love to see that!!!

ToughJ.Riggins

Hall of Famer
Steve Nash in the last 4 or 5 years I think is better than John Stockton in his best years, just barely (Stockton will have had a better and more consistent career though when Nash hangs his shoes up). Nash shoots a higher percentage from the field than Stockton. Nash and Stockton both have a sixth sense of where to make the right pass like Magic did, but Nash is better at threading a needle with a pass and making a play out of nothing than Stockton. I think Jacknyc said it best that Nash has done more with lesser players around him. Stockton is a better defender and I believe in addition to being the all time assist leader, he's the all time leader in steals for a career. Stockton is a great choice as well.

I really think Nash was just as clutch as Kobe in this last series, but Phoenix will need to add another player and maybe play Dragic alongside Nash more next year to finally win a championship. David Lee isn't quite as good as Amare offensively, but is a much better rebounder (which the Suns badly need) and a little better a defender as well. Maybe David Lee is the answer! Grant Hill is a good defender so he may be needed if he has a couple more good years left, but the Suns have too many outside shooters who aren't great defenders, so Dragic is probably a better fit alongside Nash than Richardson. Dragic is like lighting into the paint and is a better defender than Richardson and has become and would be a good play maker for a SG if they started him there.Edited by: ToughJ.Riggins

icsept

Master
I would definitely take Stockton over Nash. Nash is the better shooter and scorer, but Stockton was the pure point guard who could do it on both ends. Early in his career, Stockton was considered the fastest player in the league. Some younger fans only remember him past his prime when the Jazz made the finals a couple times against the Bulls. By then, Stockton was already the NBA career assists and steals leader.

Stockton
Ginobili
Bird
McHale
Nowitzki

Nash
Hornacek
Mullin
Chambers
SabonisEdited by: icsept

white is right

Hall of Famer
Stockton in his early days was hardly ever on network tv. I don't recall seeing Stockton more than once or twice on the old CBS broadcasts. Before cable tv took off and the internet broadcasts were watchable you could never see many west coast players if you lived on the other side of the country. Edited by: white is right

white is right

Hall of Famer
tobyisgod said:
New to the site. Thought this might be fun. I am thinking for the 80s to current. Here is my best shot.
<div>First Team.</div>
<div> </div>
<div>PG John Stockton</div>
<div>SG Jeff Hornacek</div>
<div>Center Dirk Nowiski</div>
<div>Forward Larry Bird</div>
<div>Power Forward Kevin McHale</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Second Team</div>
<div> </div>
<div>PG Steve Nash</div>
<div>SG Steve Kerr</div>
<div>Center Rik Smits</div>
<div>Forward Dan Marjele</div>
<div>Power Forward Tom Chambers</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Thoughts?</div>
<div> </div>
<div>Notable Mentions:Chris Mullen, Mark Price, Kiki Vandewe, Mark Eaton, Kurt Rambis, John Paxon</div>
you forgot Bill Laimbeer who would be a hall of fame player if he wasn't hated by the media for his dirty play. Also Kelly Tripuka was as pure a scorer as anybody.