MLB is 60% white

Freedom

Mentor
Didn't know that about Pujols. But the Brewers have more than four white starters I think. Don't they have six?
Hardy, Jenkins, Hart, ... oh wait no. You'd have to count Tony G, Counsell, and Braun as one player. Gross and Mench as another. A lot of their white players are only part time I see. Still, I think then most of the time they'd have 5 white starters.

At least their entirely domestic with their non whites. I'm sure Joe Morgan will be praising their black starters. I honestly haven't watched them much this season.

Their white bench should be playing more from the looks of it. Miller could really use a few more at bats, but their so set on Estrada.Edited by: Freedom

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Andy Rooney castigated as a "racist" for noticing theracial changesin baseball:
Andy Rooney Regrets a Racist Comment in a Recent Column
<DIV ="timestamp">Published: August 27, 2007
<DIV id=article><NYT_TEXT>

The humorist and commentator Andy Rooney has made a career out of being a grumpy old man, most frequently at the end of "60 Minutes" on CBS. But his latest rant, in the syndicated column he writes for Tribune Media Services, drew fire last week for crossing the line from crotchety to racist.

Mr. Rooney vented his ire on Thursday about baseball, which he said he had never liked. Amid complaints about the game's rules, types of statistics and the dominance of the New York Yankees, he seized upon the prevalence of Latin American players in the United States.

"I know all about Babe Ruth and Lou Gehrig, but today's baseball stars are all guys named Rodriguez to me," Mr. Rooney wrote in the second paragraph of the column, which appeared in The Stamford Times of Stamford, Conn. "They're apparently very good but they haven't caught my interest."

"Yeah, I probably shouldn't have said it," Mr. Rooney, 88, said when reached by telephone on Friday afternoon. He added that although he regretted the comment, he doubted he would apologize for it in a subsequent column. "It's a name that seems common in baseball now. I certainly didn't think of it in any derogatory sense."

He added, "That's what I do for a living, I write columns and have opinions, and some of them are pretty stupid."

While Mr. Rooney may have simply picked up the surname of one of the most prominent â€â€￾ and well-paid â€â€￾ current baseball stars, Alex Rodriguez of the Yankees, his dismissal of all Latin American players verged into dangerous waters, particularly in the post-Don Imus era.

The column drew immediate criticism in the blogosphere. One sports blog, www.foulballs.net, called Mr. Rooney a "senile idiot," while another, firejoemorgan.com, blasted both "the racism" and "the wrong-ness" of what he wrote. Mary Elson, managing editor for Tribune Media Services, said Mr. Rooney's editor did not think the comment touched Imus territory. "We try to give our columnists a great deal of latitude. This just wasn't considered going over the line," she said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/08/27/business/media/27rooney.ht ml?_r=2&amp;ref=media&amp;oref=slogin&amp;oref=slogin <NYT_UPDATE_BOTTOM></NYT_UPDATE_BOTTOM></NYT_TEXT></NYT_LINE>Edited by: Don Wassall

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think Rooney needs to stick to safer topics like why vending machines don't accept crinkled singles. Or why the single is getting phased out by the 1 dollar coin...
smiley11.gif

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white is right said:
I think Rooney needs to stick to safer topics like why vending machines don't accept crinkled singles. Or why the single is getting phased out by the 1 dollar coin...
smiley11.gif

Actually, the breathtakingly incompetent fedgov still hasn't figured out that the only way to get a dollar coin to circulate is to eliminate the one dollar bill. Every country that has introduced a coin with the equivalent value of an existing circulatingpaper currency has replaced the paper currency, except one. And in every country the new coin (and often times several different new coins) circulates, except one.

Let's see, there was the Anthony dollar to please the feminists, introduced in 1979. Then the Sacajawea dollar in 2000 to please "Native Americans," and now the "Presidential" dollar, which of course isn't circulating either.What a surprise. 28 years, 3 failures, and billions of coins that sit in bank vaults for years on end and still the obvious hasn't been learned. I know it's off topic, but the pure idiocy of the government when it comes to circulating coinage(and not just the dollar coin) really bothers me. Edited by: Don Wassall