Minnesota 400m Men

JGNYC

Aaron Buzard of Minnesota, clocked the 2nd fastest collegiate indoor 400m - 46.59 this year, at the Husker Invitational this past weekend.
http://www.gophersports.com/sportsNews/press_release.asp?new s_id=11883&sport_id=mtrack
He is following in the footsteps of fellow Minnesotans Mitch Potter and Adam Steele who won gold medals in the 4 x 400m at the WC in 2003, placed 1st and 3rd at the 2003 NCAAs, and who were also part of an all white 4 x 400 relay team that shocked the crowd and placed second at the 2003 NCAAs. Great article about them>>>
http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Minnesota_sprint ers_take_track_world_by_storm.html

They in turn, are following in the footsteps of Tom Gerding of the U of M, who placed 6th at the 2001 US National Championships. It was the 1st time a white guy had made it to the finals in 20 years.

It all goes to show that 1)Minnesota has a great coach and 2) that white sprinters can compete at the top levels if they are given a chance to develop and not automatically shut out for blacks who develop younger.
Of course, in places like Minnesota, Iowa (Tim Dwight, Kevin Little, Joey Woody) and Wisconsin (Andrew Rock) the opportunity for this to occur is more likely because these states are relatively white.
I wonder if coaches elsewhere, particularly in schools that are not traditional powerhouses, will pick-up on this and start giving some white sprinters a chance to develop and win races for them.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great points JGNYC.Potter and Steele really helped to open some eyes.Then Wariner & Rock confirmed the reality that whites can compete.It's more about genetics and hard work than it is skin color.If only more coaches would realize that as you said.Congrats to Buzzard.That is such great news.White kids need role models to help them to dream about acheiving similar goals.As Michael Johnson & Clyde Hart have said,white kids are discouraged and don't belive they have a chance.Hopefully,things are slowly changing for the better.

JGNYC

Aaron Buzard won the Iowa St. Invitational today in a very good time of 46.20.
He beat Arvad Moncur of the Bahamas, who is the 2001 World Outdoor Champ in the 400 meters.
Aaron is off the radar, but having a great indoor season.

JGNYC

Aaron won the 400m at the Sun Angel Classic in Arizona in a time of 46.01.
Very good time considering he is coming of a foot injury.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Picture of Aaron Buzard

m1buzard20aaronS.jpg

SteveB

Mentor
Way to go Aaron! I also see that Domenik Peterson was third with a 46.11. He is also having a great season.

JGNYC

Mitch Potter is back on the scene!
Ran a 45.77 to win the 400m at the Kansas Relays today.

white lightning

Hall of Famer
That is great to see.Him and Adam Steele disappeared for a while.Potter really has world class talent.I think Wariner & Rock have showed that anyone can be world class.
smiley32.gif

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Not a lot of great news to report from the NCAA regionals.
However, the exception is Aaron Buzard.
He won the Mid-West regional 400m in 45.87.
Congrats!!

white lightning

Hall of Famer
Great article on Buzzard.Thanks for posting it.I had forgot that he was only a junior.He will be world class after another year of training.Good luck to him.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
46.57 today for Buzard in Iowa.
I think that puts him in the top 5 collegiates so far this year.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Buzard was the 2nd fastest qualifier for the 400m finals at the NCAA Indoor championships.
I don't expect him to win it, but I think he could medal.
Finals are tonight.

jacknyc

Hall of Famer
Buzard got 2nd place at the NCAA Indoor Championships.
His time was 45.86!
6th Fastest time in the world this year, and faster than the winner of the European Championships.
Great Job!Edited by: jacknyc

G

jacknyc said:
Buzard got 2nd place at the NCAA Indoor Championships.
His time was 45.86!
6th Fastest time in the world this year, and faster than the winner of the European Championships.
Great Job!
Chambers time was obviously more impressive since he actually won the race.

albinosprint

Mentor
WOW! Larry here is a rocket scientist.