Mike Schmidt

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Mike Schmidt is arguably the greatest third baseman in baseball history and one of my all-time favorite players. He has wanted to stay in baseball since his retirement in 1989, but for reasons I don't understand he has been basically shunned, though he did manage a Class A minor league team last year. According to this story he is interviewing for the Devil Rays' managerial job.Probably every single major league team would offertheir manager's job to Joe Morgan if he indicated interest. Why not Mike Schmidt?

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2206820

Bart

Hall of Famer
Mike Schmidt was a very productive power hitter and fabulous fielder. He should have been a much bigger star. He was better than Reggie Jackson but didn't get half the press. If he had played in New York or any place other than Philly, he would have been a mega, mega star.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Schmidt

A strong, muscular man, Schmidt was one of the best athletes of his time; teammate Pete Rose once said, "To have his body, I'd trade him mine and my wife's and I'd throw in some cash."

[url]http://www.baseballhalloffame.org/hofers_and_honorees/hofer_ bios/schmidt_mike.htm[/url]

Bio
An unprecedented combination of power and defense molded Mike Schmidt into one of the game's greatest third basemen. The powerful right-handed hitter slugged 548 career home runs, belted 40 or more long balls in three separate seasons, and hit 30 or more home runs 10 other times. He established a major league record for third baseman by clouting 48 homers in 1980 and once hit four consecutive round-trippers in a single game in 1976. A three-time National League MVP, he was a 12-time All-Star, won 10 Gold Gloves, and was named the "Sporting News" Player of the Decade for the 1980s.

Picture Schmidt on the same drug mix (several steroids and HGH) as Barry
Bonds. How many HR's, especially facing the "pitching" Bonds has seen
the last few years? Maybe 85 or 90 in a season? I truly think so. Maybe
Schmidt is too classy and honest for his own good, if you know what I
mean. If he had been black, we'd hear his name brought up in almost
every broadcast.

foreverfree

Mentor
My most exciting moment involving Schmidttie came on my father's 40th birthday, July 3, 1977. I treated him and myself to that day's Phillies game against the Pirates. After about 6 1/2 innings, we took advantage of the 7th inning stretch to make our way out of the Vet. When we got to the lower level concourse, where the exits were, we paused to watch Schmidt back. He hit an inside the park home run and the air just went out of the Vet.

Four weeks ago I made my third visit to the Baseball HOF. I not only saw Schmidt's plaque, but sent my father a postcard depicting the Schmidt HOF plaque. At the HOF giftshop, you can purchase a postcard of your favorite Famer for 25 cents (or the entire 260 inductee set) for $50.00 I think).

John

Mike Schmidt had an amazing record, but he sometimes underrated himself. I remember seeing an interview were Schmidt discussed his speed. "I'm pretty fast for a big white guy," he said.