Mike Alstott

white tornado

Mentor
YeahI got Alstotts jersey to. I sure would love it if he went to another team where he could run the ball more; I still think he's got two or three years left.

I recall glancing at Joel Buschbaum's draft book when Alstott was a senior at Purdue. Buschbaum wrote that Alstott would "bring back the days of Larry Csonka and John Riggins." This meant that he would be a large, powerul white runner who would gain a lot of yards. Buschbaum expected that some team would use Alstott as a featured runner.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
Too bad it never happened. I know many more people wish for those days again, but hardly ever talk about it.

whiteCB

Master
I got Alstott's college card from Purdue. My one friend offered me 10 bucks for it but I just couldn't do it.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
Its gotta be frustrating for a guy like Alstott, who has proven himself time and again in the clutch, who on any given Sunday is the best back on the field, yet time and again is relegated to the occasional short yardage carry or fullback pass out of the backfield. He could have easily been a 1000-yard rusher every year, given the opportunity. He is the kind of back who wears down a defense over time, in the same mold as those black running backs who receive lavish, effusive praise for running the ball the same way, like Jerome Bettis or Stephen Davis.

I hate to see him retire, but he might just be fed up enough to call it a game and go home. How much more can he accomplish in his career? He will probably see even his few carries per game diminished even further over the remaining two or three seasons he has left, til he is eventually replaced by a black fullback who wouldn't be worthy to carry Alstott's jockstrap back in his heyday.

backrow

Hall of Famer
yes Cook, a decent player in his own right but nothing to write home about is waiting for Alstott's retirement...

ocaamikedm11

Mentor
I would like to see Alstott stick around one more year and maybe play elsewhere..(although if he's going to come back, I'm sure he wants to stay in Tampa.) Gruden isn't going to give him many carries, and Alstott is a very capable runner. It's amazing to me how someone the size of Jerome Bettis could be a featured back and have success yet a guy like Alstott never really got the opportunity... hmm?
smiley18.gif

backrow

Hall of Famer
just look at the last game, he had 4 carries, on 2 of those he broke at least one tackle and went for 7 yards on both... he's the guy that with 10 carries in 4th quarter will get defense worn out and eventually he will start eating up chunks of yardage... Gruden just plain doesn't like him... no other explanation is possible

guest301

Hall of Famer
It's real hard not to get really angry when you see the end of a career that could have been so much more if he was not white. He could have done everything jerome bettis has done and possibly more if just given the opportunity. Jerome is certainly not faster, just fatter! Jerome is a good player too but not the only big guy capable of doing what he has done. Alstott, vardell, and evans are capable of being the meal ticket as well.

backrow

Hall of Famer
oh yes... Alstott more so than those other guys you mentioned (Tommy Vardell was also very good) because he was such an incredible talent and physical traits

Spooge

Guru
Gruden made Alstott into a punk for Williams. Alstott
could have been the next Riggins (only better cause he is faster and
bigger) But we just can't have a white boy running all over the
oppressed brothers. It makes me sick to watch Mike have to
continually block for the brothers when he could easily match and
exceed their yardage. What a waste.

Colonel_Reb

Hall of Famer
It would be very interesting to compare white and black fullbacks who have the same build as Alstott and Bettis and see how many more carries, etc. the black ones get because of their skin tone. Talk about proving that racism exists against whites. That's the complaint I get every time I change the racial policies section of the wikipedia entry for the NFL.

backrow

Hall of Famer
hollywoodnorth1 said:
Maybe he will reconsider and ask to be traded somewhere where he can start and run a bit more.

no Alstott is a Buc for life... unfortunately for him

JD074

Master
hollywoodnorth1 said:
Maybe he will reconsider and ask to be traded somewhere where he can start and run a bit more.

Where??? Where could he run the ball??? What coach will let him- other than the occasional carry when two or three black guys get injured?

backrow

Hall of Famer
yeah, Titans D is something out of better times... 80% of their LBs and lineman are white... i hope they draft a guy like Leonard next season, and give another white receiver a chance (Mike Hass, anyone?)