Michael Wilbon Article

SteveB

Mentor
In an article by Michael Wilbon, he points out the lack of American white players at the NBA All-Star game.

Wilbon Article

An Issue That Follows the NBA Like a White Shadow

By Michael Wilbon
Sunday, February 19, 2006

HOUSTON In the late 1980s when the NBA first began seriously thinking about sending its players into what was then the amateur world of the Olympics, the game's caretakers fantasized that the NBA All-Star Game would someday be as internationally inclusive as it will be on Sunday. Pau Gasol is from Spain. Yao Ming is from China. Steve Nash, the reigning MVP, is from Canada. Dirk Nowitzki is from Germany. Tony Parker is from France. Last year's All-Star Game included Manu Ginobili from Argentina and Zydrunas Ilgauskas from Lithuania.

The NBA's international flavor has been justifiably celebrated, but there's one group that has been curiously underrepresented in the last two all-star games: white Americans.

For the second straight year, there are none. For the fifth time in the last eight games, there will not be a single white American player in the game. In four of the last 10 games there has been only one. And in the last 10 all-star games, only once (1997) was there more than one. In all that time only five -- Brad Miller, John Stockton, Tom Gugliotta, Christian Laettner and Wally Szczerbiak -- have made the all-star team.

ESPN analyst Tim Legler, who played professionally in the NBA, CBA and in Europe, jokes that his son Ryan has a shot at being the next white American to become an NBA all-star. Ryan Legler is 7 years old. "It's sad to me," Legler, a former Washington Bullets guard, said early Saturday.

"Perception about the white American basketball player seems to have become reality."

At the moment, though, Legler has good reason to be encouraged that the white American ballplayer isn't about to become extinct at the elite level.

The two best college players this season are Duke's J.J. Redick and Gonzaga's Adam Morrison, not necessarily in that order. And the best freshman in the nation may very well be North Carolina's 6-foot-9 Tyler Hansbrough, who in his most recent game had 40 points and 10 rebounds. "I would hope Redick and Morrison will really have an impact," Legler said. "And they could, especially if they both go to the Final Four. That might be what it takes for 10- and 12-year-old white kids to change the way they think about playing basketball."

Chris Mullin, the five-time NBA all-star and Dream Teamer who is now general manager of the Golden State Warriors, studied the moves of black stars Walt Frazier and Earl Monroe while growing up watching the 1970s Knicks. But he wore John Havlicek's No. 17 and looked up to Larry Bird. Of the dwindling number of white American kids playing basketball, Mullin said: "It's not seen as realistic. Suddenly, people don't see someone whose skill set they can identify with, and they think playing at a high level is far-fetched. In Spain, kids now are saying, 'Look at Pau Gasol.' "

There's no issue of exclusion. But it is the pink elephant in the room a lot of folks don't want to acknowledge. And it's akin to black Americans disappearing from Major League Baseball at a similar rate.

What we've got here, Legler and Mullin agree, is a story not nearly as much about race as it is about culture.

White kids across Europe, particularly after the 1992 Dream Team played in the Barcelona Olympics, burn to play in the NBA. The culture in Europe has changed substantially since 1990 when Legler played as a pro in France. "There wasn't a guy over there who had any notion that he could play in the NBA," he said.

"It was incomprehensible to them then. Now, they all believe not only that they can play in the NBA, but that they can make the all-star team one day."

White kids in the United States -- and the anecdotal evidence is powerful -- are often talked off of basketball at an early age, frequently by white adults who think their sons and nephews and neighbors simply don't have the talent to compete with their black classmates and peers, who conversely hardly ever hear a word of discouragement when it comes to playing basketball.

Mullin, growing up in Brooklyn, had nothing but encouragement, a factor he now understands looking back, was critical to his development. At 14, he'd leave his house and take the subway to Harlem or the Bronx to play with the best players, who increasingly were black. This was the late-1970s. Initially, "I would hear somebody ask, 'Who's this kid? What the hell is he doing here?' " Very quickly though, because he was so good and so happy to play with whomever, Mullin would hear, "Get that kid back here next week."

Mullin knew he had earned the right to be accepted. Legler had the same kind of experiences in gymnasiums and at playgrounds across Richmond, but now doesn't see the same kind of resolve from white ballplayers who might have the talent to excel. Mullin, while not being judgmental, wondered, "Where does it sit on the priority list?"

Meanwhile, Legler said: "My nephew is 11, 12 years old. He's got a dead-eye shot. He's lefty . . . got some nice skills. But my brother-in-law says, 'I want him to have a chance to really play in high school or go as far as he can . . . and it's not going to be basketball.' The seed gets planted so early.

"I see it at summer camps. The makeup and attitude of the white kids has changed so much. No question it's the parents and their peer groups talking them off of it. A black kid of average talent in elementary or middle school is much more likely to be encouraged. A white kid of equal talent is going to move to baseball or something non-sports. They totally get discouraged to travel that athletic path, and it's been happening for years.

"My father begged me to not play basketball. I was a really good baseball player, and he thought I had a better chance at playing in the major leagues. But I loved basketball. For a white player to succeed in basketball, he's got to have a backbone. He's got to have that competitive mentality and play with a chip on his shoulder."

It's been suggested that perhaps Redick and Morrison are reflective of a new generation of white players who are completely comfortable with the music, the dress, the language of urban basketball because they grew up in it. They don't know anything else. The hip-hop culture, still foreign to parents, doesn't drive them or their friends to baseball or soccer. Time will ultimately tell -- and there's a lot of it before Ryan Legler turns 19.

JoeV

Guru
Great article!

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks for posting this, Steve. And kudos to Wilbon for writing it as I'm sure no white writer has the guts to, at least yet. There have been countless articles over the years about creating the necessary environment for blacks to succeed in various sports and at various positions within sports like quarterback, but there has never been any concern whatsoever about encouraging white kids or making sure they have role models to emulate. Whites are somehow always supposed to somehow succeed because of "white skin privilege" and other Cultural Marxist nonsense, no matter how much whites are ridiculed in a society where the elites despise them, especially rural and blue collar whites and males of all ages.

I take this as a sign that the success of European basketball players is forcing the spotlight on the third class status of white American basketball players compared not only to blacks but to Europeans. The same will happen in football sooner or later. All coaches are afraid to be the one to break the mold, but the absence of white runners, receivers and cornerbacks for decades on end will force the media to begin talking about it and thus implicitly recognizing at least some of the more obvious absurdities of the Caste System. Articles like Wilbon's that don't take the "party line" have to help our cause at least a little.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
On the other hand, I don't think white parents and kids are 'always' driven away from basketball because they don't believe they're good enough. Its also because of the threat of assault and bodily injury that comes with being a white kid playing against blacks on their home turf. Some guys might accept talent in a white kid, but others won't, and those will be the ones who will try, through intimidation and violence, to keep that kid from coming back and upstaging them and their machismo on the court.

whiteCB

Master
Wilbon hit the target but not necessarily the bull's eye as even I'm not quite sure what the bulls eye is in this particular case. Wilbon has always been my favorite over Tony Kornheiser(I really hate this guy) on PTI. Wilbon I've noticed the few times I watch the show is a fair and balnced guy as he's not afraid to go after his "own" people meaning black athletes and actually dosen't take delight,like Kornheiser in ripping white guys.

white tornado

Mentor
Ive got a nephew in high school who might become a great player, he's a 6-4 guard with great ups. This kid is 16 and has a lot more growing to do. His dad allways discorages him from playing basketball saying how its a black game. He wants to play D-1 but his self confidance is real low due to lots of hard times he's been through. He realy has no male role models in his life so I try to be one for him. The problem is we live in difernt states and raley see each other.

jaxvid

Hall of Famer
Black aggressiveness and white passivity are too much too overcome. There is no reason in the world a kid with other, better on average, options, is going to put up with the BS that black athletes direct towards white athletes. No way! I went through it myself years ago and it is worse now. The above mentioned article brings the subject up but the comment "There's no issue of exclusion." is telling. Yes it is exclusion. if white "racism" and Jim Crow prevented blacks from acheiving years ago then how is black defense of their imagined status in baseketball any different?

JD074

Master
It may not be a bull's eye but it touches on some important points. Critics of Caste Football like to say that there's no "conspiracy theory" against whites. So what? It's a soft tyranny, like our government. (Bush is no Stalin, but so what?) No conspiracy is needed. When Wilbon writes about "attitude" and "makeup" of white kids changing, that's the Caste System. Soft tyranny.

bigunreal

Mentor
If we have to rely on the likes of Michael Wilbon for fairness in journalism, we really have hit the bottom of the barrel. Wilbon has toned down his racial rhetoric, but for years (before he became a TV star), he wrote numerous columns in the Washington Post with the predictable pro- black, anti-white racist slant.

As a longtime youth basketball and soccer coach, I have seen first hand the kind of discrimination that great young white players face. The main problem is not white parents discouraging their kids from playing basketball, it is white coaches favoring any black kid who walks on the court over much more talented white kids. The same thing happens, on a smaller scale, in soccer, where any hispanic kid is favored over more talented white players.
I have never seen this reluctance on the part of white parents to have their kids compete in basketball; on the contrary, I have seen very few white fathers who are not exceptionally involved and proud (to a fault) when their son has obvious skills and produces on the court.

Michael Wilbon does not deserve any praise for writing this article: stating the obvious is not courageous. This is just another way to remind Whitey that blacks have the freedom to speak freely in this country; Whites do not.

That said, it is clear that Whites are self-selecting themselves out of basketball, for obvious reasons. Even the most talented White b-baller will hit the glass ceiling at the college level and, increasingly, at the high school level. Parents don't want their children pouring their efforts into a sport that is unlikely to result in a college scholarship or a possible career. Thus, White kids are more likely to play baseball and soccer, which result in hundreds of scholarships.

True story: I have a co-worker that coaches his son's 15-to-18 year old rec league basketball team, which is comprised of 7 Whites (3 of whom are Eastern European immigrants and deadly outside shooters) and 3 blacks. His team trounced the all-black high school varsity squad by 15 points in a real-time scrimmage. Naturally, the varsity coach was embarrassed by the outcome. My friend asked the coach why none of the rec-league kids were on the varsity team. The coach said, "You don't understand how it works at this level. There's more to consider than just scoring points. The game is played above the rim today." [Huh?!?]

There are several ways to interpret the coach's comments. The school administration may be forcing him to kowtow to the blacks to keep them placated. Or perhaps the coach realizes that his "darkies" won't have the same team-spirit and cameraderie if a White boy crashes the chocolate party. Either way, the coach is a disgraceful coward, as are most White coaches.

As you can probably guess, the soccer, baseball, softball, volleyball, and wrestling teams are all White at that high school, while basketball and football are jet black. Such is the reality in America today.

whiteCB

Master
"The game is played above the rim today" HAHAHA. That was halarious but yet so true on just how stupid coaches are getting today. Yeah that coach is a genious alright I guess which ever team scores more points doesn't actually win now a days.

bigunreal

Mentor
Southern Knight,

Great (but very sad) story. However, during my years of coaching youth sports, I just haven't seen any of this "opting out" of basketball by parents, or steering their kids into more white-friendly sports like baseball or soccer. On the contrary, most of the great white soccer players I've known have opted out of that sport themselves in high school, mostly for football. While certainly most parents-like the population in general-think that blacks are naturally better at football and basketball, I've never met one who thought their own white son wasn't up to playing with them. As your anecdote reflects so clearly, the primary problem is with coaches and athletic directors. They are the ones who not only discriminate against whites and favor blacks, but also permit blacks to create an unfriendly (and potentially dangerous) environment for the white players who do make the team. Of course, this isn't always racial. I've seen far too many coaches allow a talented troublemaker to get away with outrageous behavior, just because of what they perceive he brings to the team. If simple lessons on proper behavior aren't taught by coaches (and referees) when these athletes are kids, they will never learn them as teenagers, let alone as adults. Selfish hogging of the ball, mouthing off, denigrating teammates, etc., is something many skilled youngsters are prone to do, and if they aren't corrected (and punished by the coach- i.e., sitting them out, less playing time, or by the referee by enforcing the rules), they will only become worse. It goes without saying that black youngsters are disproportionately found in this spoiled, pampered category on the court and the playing field. The arrogant monsters we see paraded before us today on ESPN and other t.v. networks are the end result of all those years of uncorrected bad behavior and constant ego gratification. It's a huge problem, but the solution is easy. All of us need to do what we can; for my part, in my own very little slice of the coaching world, I make sure to correct this kind of behavior by any of my players, whatever race they are. I also try to be as fair as possible, and to ensure that all players get a decent amount of playing time, and opportunities to try the positions they want to play. If just a handful of high school coaches, and then college coaches, do the same thing, eventually this trend would drift up to the pros, and perhaps we'd finally see players evaluated not by the color of their skin, but by their ability to play.