Merril Hodge

LabMan

Mentor
On a Pittsburgh/ESPN radio talk show today,Merril Hodge said,Arizona Cardinal quarterback Matt Lienart is,"a mental mess right now"!,he went on to say that Lienart probably did not have the skills to overcome the situation,but quarterback Vince Young could!

backrow

Hall of Famer
lol, all the former players at caste position seem to have nothing but disdain towards white people and sometimes widely undeserving respect for black players...

guest301

Hall of Famer
Here's hoping that Alstott doesn't display the same self-hating tendencies of Hodge, Riggins and others who behave this way.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
Hoge's dramatic transformation a few years ago was amazing, almost sinister. When he played for the Steelers he was an easy-going guy who stuttered and stumbled a lot when speaking. He eventually signed with the Bears and wasforced into retirement after suffering a severe concussion, the after-effects of which lasted a long time. But he emerged from it with the ultra-aggressive, well-spoken style he has today. The Manchurian Broadcaster anyone?
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Don Wassall

Bear Backer

Mentor
I seem to recall that about Merril Hoge as well. I was always under the impression that he was a quiet, all buisness guy when he played. His transformation as an announcer does seem unnatural. I also seem to remember Hoge making some comments a while back that the Titans only had a chance to win if they "hide Vince Young in the offense." He was basically saying that Young had some skill but not yet ready to lead the team and if he was pushed too hard he would fail. Recent comments seem like a 180 for Mr Hoge. I guess you find out pretty quickly when you go into sports journalism that selling your soul to the caste system is a must, and making any remarks that could be misconstrued as a veiled criticism of black caste hopes are strictly unnacceptable. When in doubt what you should say, bash the white player as much as possible. Edited by: Bear Backer

backrow said:
lol, all the former players at caste position seem to have nothing but disdain towards white people and sometimes widely undeserving respect for black players...

It might be that they like to think of themselves the "one in a billion" super-talented white athlete who can play as well as the black athletes. That's better than being one of many white athletes who are as good as black athletes.

Hockaday

Guru
Mark Schlereth says "Merril Hoge is the kindest, braves, warmest, most wonderful football broadcaster I've ever known in my life."Edited by: Hockaday

Hockaday said:
Mark Schlereth says "Merril Hoge is the kindest, braves, warmest, most wonderful football broadcaster I've ever known in my life."

More homosexuality at its finest.
smiley36.gif

mark b.

I think highschool coach is right. The fortunate ones that do make it big don't consider what they did or still do anything out of the ordinary, which explains Jason Sehorn saying what he did, but I do think that any white broadcaster who even slightly hinted that white players were being treated unfairly would quickly be shown the door. Just ask Rush Limbaugh. There are no white credible journalist who ever touch this issue because I really don't think most journalist see this as a problem. The white athlete is out of sight out of mind.

Bear Backer

Mentor
highschoolcoach said:
backrow said:

It might be that they like to think of themselves the "one in a billion" super-talented white athlete who can play as well as the black athletes. That's better than being one of many white athletes who are as good as black athletes.

I think you might have hit on something really fundamentally inherent in the mind of the athlete. I thnk it could be strongly argued that the goal of any athlete is not only to get rich, or to compete, but to also get that special feeling that comes with being praised and adored by millions of cheering fans. Many athletes will come right out and tell you that is what drives them. In a shifting environment where many whites are being shut out in favor of athletes of color, I think it could also be argued that the lucky "white athletes" have also inherited a sense of accomplishment from being unique. Many of them would not doubt openly embrace this status, and those who don't would be tempted to go along for the ride or risk losing their God-like status. It will take someone of great moral character to bust open the caste system for all to see. someone who has played for years and excelled at a caste position with enough moral fiber and intestinal fortitude to be a whistle blower when their playing days are over. Someone who probably has no aspirations to continue their gravy train into sports broadcasting and doesn't care about the consequenses which would undoubtedly be harsh. A young player struggling to overcome the caste system couldn't do it or they would risk being run out of the league before every getting a shot. They whould write him off as a loser who was complaining because he couldn't hack it. A veteran player in his declining years couldn't do it because they would accuse him of being a washed up hack trying who was angry at his misfortune. The only people who could probably do it would be a top athlete in his prime who would risk everything by coming out or a superstar player who retired with distinction and didn't linger past his usefulness. Maybe someone who was already a hall of famer who they couldn't accuse of wanting to further pad his own importance for being considered for the hall of fame. Edited by: Bear Backer