mel kiper

psychosid

i was listening to jew boy mike & fat mike in the morning on ESPN today and they were discussing "superior black athlete" vince young's pro day, in which he ran a blistering 4.58 40 yard dash. anyway this moron kiper goes on to say that vince young didnt "care" what he ran, cause if he REALLY WANTED TO, he could have run in the 4.4 range!! i almost crashed my car dumbfounded by what this moron said!!! can you belive it!! yea thats right mel, this overrated dump quarterback (6 on the wonderlic) is now a SLOW quarterback who cant THROW!!! gee mel, if he is not even that fast..and he is dumb...and his throwing delivery sucks, what is god's name shound he even be drafted for???? personally i think mel has pictures vince young in his bedroom and must masturbate to him he is obsessed with him so much. i mean come on, what more can it be, now if a white athete runs a 4.4 its discounted as "timed speed" and if a black athlete runs a 4.6 its cause he "didnt care". now ive heard everything!!!!!

SteveB

Mentor
DraftDaddy's assessment of Vince Young is right on:

As most draft fans know, yesterday was QB Vince Young's Pro day, and if one reads the major media, it appears to have been a rousing success.

But Draft Daddy has been speaking with insiders and other influential football minds, and it is becoming clear that Vince's workout day wasn't as amazing as some have said. His throwing was good but the types of throws he was attempting were, to be frank, easy and intermediate level throws at best. Some scouts were unhappy that more difficult throws such as long outs and deep go's were not attempted. Further, the lack of inclement weather conditions such as wind and rain inside the practice dome where the workout was held eliminated a major variable that could have answered questions about his pass technique.

Regarding the physical workout, the fact that Vince Young had to be practically begged to run a 40 yard dash speaks volumes about his true speed. Simply put, Vince Young isn't all that fast. He wouldn't run in Indy, didn't want to run in Texas - for a guy who is supposed to be blindingly fast what is Vince hiding? "Unathletic" (not our words) QB Bruce Gradkowski from Toledo ran in the same neighborhood of 4.6 and no one is claiming him as the next Michael Jordan-type player to come down the pike.

What does this all add up to? Same as prior to the workout, Vince Young is a hype machine. Major media outlets and high profile draft guru's love to tout this player because he is exciting and an easy sell to casual fans. In the league he will be a jersey seller, a highlight reel, an occasional beater of bad defenses. However speed-wise he is not a Mike Vick caliber athlete, nor is he even a Matt Jones caliber athlete. Sooner or later someone just as fast (or faster) than Vince Young but bigger and meaner (e.g. John Abraham, Shawne Merriman, Julius Peppers) will catch this running QB and violently convey that the NFL is not the Big 12. When (not if but when) that happens, Vince Young will be forced to become a drop-back QB (similar career track as Donovan McNabb, but with worse throwing mechanics). History has shown that playoff teams don't win in bad weather with run-first QBs. In fact, there has never been a QB in the history of the league to win the Super Bowl after rushing for more than 300 yards in the regular season. Since the days of Staubach we have heard about runners that will revolutionize the QB position, long story short, it never happens. Wouldn't it make sense for QB-needy teams just to take a pocket passer from the get-go?

guest301

Hall of Famer
Jay Cutler is the #1 QB in the draft in my opinion. A young Bret Favre in waiting. It wouldn't suprise me if Leinart and Cutler were drafted before Young.

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if Young falls to Dennis Green and Arizona at #10 or Baltimore at #13. If neither of those two teams take him, he could really take a tumble.

white is right

Hall of Famer
Arizona would be a perfect fit. They could keep up their proud and rich winning tradition.......
smiley36.gif

Alpha Male

Mentor
A 4.58 40 yard dash from a guy who is suppossed to be the next "Superman" athlete is one of two things. Either the 40 yard dash of most "fast" athletes is grossly exaggerated or Vince Young's speed is overrated. It is probably a little bit of both. Also, when Rich Gannon entered the league he ran a legit 4.4, however, I am sure he did not receive the same hype. Edited by: Alpha Male

Don Wassall

Administrator
Staff member
white is right said:
Arizona would be a perfect fit. They could keep up their proud and rich winning tradition.......
smiley36.gif

Not to mention their drive to win the hallowed honor of being the first NFL team to start 22 blacks. . .

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I caught part of Colin Cowturd's show on ESPN Radio, where they were discussing the Wonderlic and Young's workouts.

In a nutshell, Cowturd actually defended the use of the Wonderlic against myriad complaints that it 'shouldn't matter.' This surprised me greatly, and even more so when he went on to say that quarterback is the most cerebral of positions and you need a smart guy to run the offense.

Sean Salisbury came on to discuss Young's workout. As I understand it, it was a 'personal' workout, where he invited scouts to come and watch him workout on HIS terms, not theirs. So, his workout was unlike when a candidate travels to a team headquarters and is tested according to team standards.

Salisbury said that he was at the workout and it was 'stellar.' He said that any scout that says otherwise is an idiot. He said that Young missed this throw, that throw, another throw (he kept going, I lost track), and that yes he waited for his receivers to break before throwing, BUT - it was very impressive! This guy is NFL material!! Then he said he would play 'Devil's advocate,' to Cowturd's position on the Wonderlic, and his defense can be summarized by saying, 'I don't care if a guy knows what a right angle is from Geometry, I care if he can recognize a Cover 2 and where number 81 is.' Or something to that effect. Of course, this begs the question, how can any affalete graduate from high school and college and *not* know what a right angle is.

Cowturd also mentioned the disparity in the 40 times, too. I mentioned this to co-workers and all they said was, well that's fast for a quarterback, how fast does a quarterback have to be? Well, if you're touting your guy as a fast, mobile quarterback who can make things happen with his legs and his arm, wouldn't it help if he was actually *fast*, instead of just 'supposed to be?' I also tried to involve them in a question of why speed is supposed to be so important, but that, like the validity of the Wonderlic, fell on deaf ears.

If the 40 doesn't matter, and the Wonderlic doesn't matter, and a guy's athleticism doesn't matter (see Matt Jones, et al.) then what DOES matter??

G

When I read Draftdaddy's assesment I agreed with it 100%. Vince Young is the most overhyped prospect in a long time. I love the Bruce Gradkowski comparison and Bruce gets no respect for his good speed or his arm. His arm is probably on the same par as Young's. Bruce will be the better pro. Idiots like Kiper love to hype certian athletes and become complete apoligists for them when they do not perform as expected. I also heard stuff regarding Vince Young and his workout and people were saying look at the tape, the workouts do not mean anything. It makes me mad but his failure to be the superman QB many are making him out to be is goign to be proved wrong once again and in another 5-6 years some other overhyped black qb will become the next to revolutionize the position.

White Shogun

Hall of Famer
I forgot to add that, in my co-worker's assessment of Young, what makes him pro quarterback material isn't speed (or lack thereof) or arm strength, it is his coolness under pressure. He is "unflappable," they say, and this counts for more in the crunch than anything else. And whats more, it can't be measured.

I personally expect him to be a bust, but only time will tell. He will certainly be drafted and given the opportunity to play quarterback, unlike other fast, athletic, mobile quarterbacks with quirky throwing motions, like Matt Jones.

KG2422

Mentor
White Shogun said:
I forgot to add that, in my co-worker's assessment of Young, what makes him pro quarterback material isn't speed (or lack thereof) or arm strength, it is his coolness under pressure. He is "unflappable," they say, and this counts for more in the crunch than anything else. And whats more, it can't be measured.

I personally expect him to be a bust, but only time will tell. He will certainly be drafted and given the opportunity to play quarterback, unlike other fast, athletic, mobile quarterbacks with quirky throwing motions, like Matt Jones.

It's hard for him to be "flappable" because his frontal lobe is undeveloped. It's the part of the brain that is responsible for higher learning and anxiety. He has neither.

white is right

Hall of Famer
I think Mel Kiper and Marv Albert cruise the same gay bars looking for athletes. Marv had a boyfriend that looked like LT and Kiper is looking for Vince Young clones.......
smiley36.gif